Author Topic: Agility horrible up hills after derestriction  (Read 11750 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: Agility horrible up hills after derestriction
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2012, 09:13:58 AM »
With an 88 I would need an open air filter right?  Also, should I try 6.0g instead of the 5.5g I bought?  How can I tell if I'm not getting all I can out of my scoot with the weights and torque spring?

There are no set rules Exe, its mostly trial and error till you feel its set up good and suits your needs. Sometimes you change something and it gets worse but you just keep tweaking till you get there. What works on 1 Aglity may not work on yours.

Generally an open air filter uses the 88 jet but wordslinger runs a 101 i think in his. The only real way to be sure is to do a plug chops check and see how its running, lean or rich or just right.

I use 5.5g rollers and like how they work on my a50 but others run stock 6.5g or 6g, its all personal preference and depends how you want it set up. I feel i get the best of both worlds, acceleration and top end with my current setup. I could improve my acceleration but i would prob lose top end, or i can get more top end but lose acceleration so i may struggle to hit the top speed. Its a balancing act but one its tweaked correct and youre happy it makes it all worth it. A lot of people start tuning but cannot be bothered or dont have the time or patience to mess around and get it just right, like i said, at times you end up going back to go forwards and wish you had left it as it was.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2012, 09:19:49 AM »
Just a little tip i use, find a test route or maybe 3-5 miles where you can ride to check performance/speed and ride it to get to know what speeds you hit, how it acclerates etc. Once you know "right i can hit 30 up that hill, 42 on that flat and 44 down that hill" then you can tune up and check how it is against how it was. It just makes it easier to see any losses or gains.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2012, 12:17:29 PM »
Generally an open air filter uses the 88 jet but wordslinger runs a 101 i think in his.

..yup, in this cold, relatively dry winter air we have here in the Piedmont, if i put inna 88 i'd have a fried piston in about 5 miles...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2012, 02:23:35 PM »
Just a little tip i use, find a test route or maybe 3-5 miles where you can ride to check performance/speed and ride it to get to know what speeds you hit, how it acclerates etc. Once you know "right i can hit 30 up that hill, 42 on that flat and 44 down that hill" then you can tune up and check how it is against how it was. It just makes it easier to see any losses or gains.

well said streido---------Know what your scoot can do and rember that when it comes down to repairs.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2012, 02:27:45 AM »
"we have here in the Piedmont"     Look out your front window...                  No the other one!
Once you do the springs your scoot will change, and as said sometimes for the worse. The contra spring will increase your rpm's. sometimes too much. That's when you add HEAVIER rollers to bring it back to "balance". If the rpm's feel good w/ the stiffer spring... All the better.
Sterido has it right when saying use a constant course to "test" it out. The trick is finding the right rollers to control the rpm's.
It's not easy but it does work (tunning).
We all have had set backs in tuning, and I can tell you IT IS WORTH IT! My 35mph stock scoot now buries the needle on the speedo. 3 years to get there but I didn't go to the "crack house" once in those three years cause I was toooooo busy tuning! (and spent all my money on parts)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Exe

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2012, 02:59:12 AM »
So should I add the tension spring and test it out first before installing the new roller weights.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2012, 03:09:25 AM »
I would. You don't know what rpm change the spring kit will add so you can't yet know what weight to order. Stock weight will rev higher than before so the carb should be ready for tuning to work. If you find the rpm's to be good then get a good set of new rollers (same wt) If there too hi get a set heavier. I know this is opposite of roller only tuning where you want to go lighter to improve. As I pointed out the spring brings them up. The rollers now control the spring.
Sooo why buy them before you know?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2012, 07:56:53 PM »
..when i was running a 1000 contra, my scoot liked 4.7 gram rollers...now that i'm running a blue malossi 1500, 5 grams acts about the same as the 4.7s did, except that 1500 is th' bomb!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 11:37:39 AM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2012, 12:47:03 AM »
I've torn up two used belts in the ZX w/ 2000/8gr. The prior set up ran good on 1500/5.5gr, but had way less torque. Just depends on the mysterious "Driver/input/balance/engine power@rpm" formula + What do you want the scoot to do = What do I have to buy next?

Exe

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2012, 11:03:54 PM »
Put in the 5.5 g weights and it slows my moped down to 25 with the spring.  Mixing stock and new ones are better, but I guess I need 7.0 g.

OregonDad

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2012, 11:49:31 PM »
So I have a baseline, what are the stock roller weights and spring RPMs?

I cut the cdi which only gave an additional 3mph.  Installing the 82mm jet in the next few weeks and the smooth boss this summer.  I don't like the sound of those up hill numbers after the smooth boss was installed and I do not want to mess with taking apart the clutch, so what weights would give the best up hill speed without reducing the flat top end speed below 39mph?

The rider is 175lbs.

Exe

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2012, 12:34:51 AM »
Also, would sliders work with the stock variator?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2012, 01:48:07 AM »
You're on the right track exe. That was my point. A stiffer spring NEEDS heavier rollers. Find the ones that get the most top end with the least weight. Mixing is good for testing but NOT for use.

Ore... The rollers can go from 4-6 to increase your "pep" Maybe you can get EXE's 5.5's He don't need them
, and they're new...

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2012, 05:02:32 AM »
I'm late to the thread ::)

I lost a lot of uphill power in my people after changing my boss. The RPMs were much higher with the restriction but only went 30mph. I had only had the scooter for a couple of months before I changed it. I had very little knowledge of CVTs or even jetting carburetors. Turns out my stock jet was a 70 :o

I think with these newer models changing the jet is almost required with the derestriction. Live and learn.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

OregonDad

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2012, 11:04:14 AM »
You're on the right track exe. That was my point. A stiffer spring NEEDS heavier rollers. Find the ones that get the most top end with the least weight. Mixing is good for testing but NOT for use.

Ore... The rollers can go from 4-6 to increase your "pep" Maybe you can get EXE's 5.5's He don't need them
, and they're new...

Sure, are you in the States Exe?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()