Author Topic: Modular Helmet  (Read 3576 times)

fshfindr

• View Profile
Modular Helmet
« on: February 20, 2012, 06:27:28 PM »
I am considering a new full face helmet.  The modulars look ok, Can anybody talk about your modular helmet.  I'm curious about weight, comfort, vision to the side, noise, heat, and any comments at all.  If you don't mind, tell me which model you have.  The $100 range is good for me.  I would like it to fit in my Yager met-in box.  The full face I have now, (bought it used, unknown brand) fits but tightly, laying on the side.  I use a balaclava but don't normally ride under 40*F.

Thanks,
Richard L.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 12:47:51 AM by fshfindr »
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
Re: Modular Helmet
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 08:07:27 PM »
Urbestfriend had a Modular in the $90.00 range.  I suppose if you want to
spend several hundred,  you will fine good quality.  It fogged up quite easily
in cold weather even with defog cleaner.  Spent most of the time with the faceshield
slightly open.  Gave it to my son,  and bought the Fulmer AF-ADV Dual Sport.

No fog when moving,  but will when stopped.  I'm talking 32 F and below.
Had good side vision,  brim is good in sun and ventilation is also good.
Raising the shield at stop lights clears it fast.

The trouble I have is trying to keep my neck warm.   I have a couple of Baclava's
and an orange hunting neck collar.  Of course,  the fogging is more prevalent
if you have your lower face covered.  I try to keep my nose uncovered.

This morning it was 23 F. / 11 Miles to work @ 5:00 am. / 60 mph.
Face and neck ok.  Hands a little cool.   I wore my AFX FX-50 this morning.
45 deg. on the way home though.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 08:32:54 PM »
What modulars are you interested in?  When closed, most modulars are going to have less space open in front of your face which bothers me.  They won't be as quiet as a full face helmet either.  I replaced my helmets last year and considered modulars - but bought Shoei Qwest's.  They are light, quiet, feel less cramped, and are designed for upright riding like you do on a scooter.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

DoubleSC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 01:36:43 AM »
You'll want to consider what kind of conditions you'll be riding in (i.e. short vs. long commute, climate, etc.).  

I use a HJC CLMax modular regularly for commuting.  It's comfortable, a bit on the heavy side, but seems evenly distributed so it's not really a concern or something that becomes tiresome.  It's ventilation is just OK.  What is bothersome about it is the wind noise at higher speeds.  Above 45 mph it starts to become excessively noisy.  Above 60mph it gets deafening.  

Overall, this helmet suits me well for regular commuting since it's:
  1) mostly done at cooler temps around 50-deg. F (so its mediocre ventilation is still OK),
  2) is only a couple of miles long on slower speed secondary streets (noise doesn't become an issue), and
  3) commute is short (easier to put on/take off while wearing glasses of any sort).

But when it comes to taking longer weekend trips on higher speed roads, I picked up a Shoei Qwest.  Only a bit quieter on the scooter, but turns out to be *much* quieter on my motorcycle with its different seating position and fairing.

DSC

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 03:44:04 PM »
I have a Fulmer Modular with a built in tinted visor that can be lowered and raised by a lever.  I paid $100 for it but it's normally $150.

It is larger and heavier than a normal full face and also louder.  I still love mine because it's one of the most comfortable helmets I have owned and I love the drop down tinted shield.  I don't have to mess with sun glasses. I wear ear plugs so the noise isn't an issue.

Cycle Gear sells a Modular with the same features for around $100 but it seemed really cheap to me and is only available in black or grey.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 04:06:57 PM »
I've got a modular helmet from "Lidl" (European discounter, buys and sells in huge quantities and you barely know the original manufacturer) for 59.95€. With spare visor, retractable inner sunshield, additional pillows, etc.
It's really ok for daily errands, has all safety certifications, but becomes uncomfortable on the highway, in cold, wet, foggy or hot weather.

For trip and highway use I have an Schuberth C2. But that's far beyond $100.

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 05:03:32 PM »
First of all, once you get used to a modular (especially if you wear glasses) you'll never let it go.  If you're thinking about a $100.00 helmet you're looking at a really cheap helmet.  Not judging...just sayin' as I use a $49 HJC open face around town on the scooter!

I have one of the first Nolan 200s which I purchased probably 10 years ago...and it must have cost $200+ even back then.  I love the convenience but it is noisy.  Vision is fine.  I even open her up when cruising through downtown small towns when I get off the highway.  I assume recent Nolans (and other brands) are much improved in every aspect from my 10 year old lid.

The Nolan fits in the Yager 200 under seat bin nicely (upside down) or in my Givi trunk.

Wil B.
Broadview, IL

'71 Guzzi Ambassador
'91 Nighthawk
'04 Kymco Super 9
'10 Kymco Yager 200 gt
Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 05:22:12 PM »
I use a Nolan N102 with blue tooth kit. Before I changed the wind screen it was quit noisy. With the Givi wind screen on the dt300i very little noise.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 04:59:37 PM »
All good info so far.  Even though $100 may seem cheap, I think that the price probably has the greatest effect on comfort not safety.  After all they are all subject to the same regs.  I love the idea of flip up, if the chin bar goes up that's fine but not nec.  How it feels, side vision, ease of operation and noise have become my most important criteria.  I just came back from a ride on 3 highways, (for those familiar with S. Jersey White Horse Pike, RT. 130 and Black Horse Pike) 30-50 mph. My second hand $40. unknown mfr. helmet from a newspaper ad was very noisy over 40mph. It also is very heavy.  Still undecided.  Please keep the info coming. 

Thanks.
Richard L.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 07:16:05 PM by fshfindr »
Richard L. in Bellmawr

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 11:51:52 PM »
I am looking at this helmet right now.  Hawk GLD-900 Black Glossy Modular Motorcycle Helmet.  comments?
Richard L. in Bellmawr

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 01:07:39 PM »
I have an HJC IS-MAX that I paid a little over $200, 2 years ago.  I really like it. 

I like Modular helmets in general because you can put them on without taking off your eyeglasses AND they are handy on hot days at long lights.  Is it noisy?  Yes.. I compensate with ear plugs. 

Now that I don't wear glasses, I've been entertaining a Joe Rocket, carbon fiber, full-face.  I would buy that for the lightness and sound proofing.  The $400 price tage is a little steep for me, but I plan on doing a lot of interstate riding on the 500 Xciting I just bought.

Not to digress...  I took it "on the chin" with a modular several years ago and I'm so glad I had it.  The accident almost spit the chin bar and definitely saved me from drinking "soup only" from a straw that I would have needed to.  That helmet was around $140.  Sorry I don't remember the model.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 06:19:52 PM »
Lots of good info. Some of your helmets sound really good but also really expensive.  The Hawk seems like a good one at $100.  That is just about the limit that I set for myself, I expect that it is will be good one.  I should have it in about 10 days, I'll let you all know.  I do appreciate your advice.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr

SlowToFret

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 08:12:54 PM »
Some of the best prices I have found are at Leatherup.com.  Here is a link to their modular helmets sorted by price:
http://www.leatherup.com/c/Motorcycle-Modular-Helmets/sortby_price/2/176.html

I got the Advanced Hawk Aviator Skull dual visor.  The design is both cool and tacky, but it was the cheapest at the time I ordered it that was modular with the drop down dual visor.  It actually seems lighter than my SparX helmet but is still not quite as comfortable (doesn't hurt, just not as comfortable as my SparX).  It is also a bit noisy and breezy at times.  I figure for $100 it does pretty good for the features.  Good luck.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 08:30:37 PM »
Yes the paint job would be a little tacky for me, but I think it is the same helmet.  I don't mind it being breezy, but I hope its not too noisy.  When I ordered it I measured my head at 22.5 inches and ordered a small.  That was a mistake, I needed a large.  Now I'm going through the return problem.
Richard L. in Bellmawr

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 08:53:29 PM »
Finally settled in with the Hawk, modular with dual visors.  I had to take a very small amount of foam off.  It was digging into my ears and hurting like hell.  It seems lighter than my other helmet.  I like the whole setup.  I can raise the visor or the chin bar or both.  With the chin bar up it goes on and off easily.  It is very comfortable, more comfortable than expected.  Vision is also better than expected. I'll have to come up with something to reduce the noise of the wind or wear earplugs.   Oh yeah, the sun visor comes down simply with one finger, but getting it up is a bear.  I actually just push it up with my thumb.

Richard

Update; I got the visor fixed, it wasn't in right, now it goes up or down easily, the wind noise is loud but it seems to be outside, not inside the helmet.  It is definitely bearable, no earplugs needed.  I am definitely liking this helmet.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 03:52:23 PM by fshfindr »
Richard L. in Bellmawr

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()