Author Topic: Is warming up essential from cold start?  (Read 22969 times)

sparko

• View Profile
Re: Is warming up essential from cold start?
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2012, 04:29:07 PM »
It seems the air coming into a scooter will have some effect on the engines' responsiveness and performance. Cold air will cause condensation and icing under the right circumstances, so why not let it warm up for a minute? Reading about an inherent flaw in the A125's auto-choke because of Kymco's supply chain makes me want to guarantee that the engine is smooth and hesitation-free before I ride.  I don't think many of us adjust our carbs every day based on temperature outside to lean it out 2 percent or so if necessary. If scoot doesn't accelerate at a light when there is some impatient jerk behind you then it is a safety issue. For safety's sake I let it warm up some just to make sure I can get away from these types. I don't care about the gas 'wasted' while I warm it up. I still get 60+ mpg in the winter. :D
Thank you Axy for the info on the auto-choke.

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2012, 05:25:45 PM »
Cold air carries more oxygen, so a genereal preheat isn't good.
But of course many Kymco scoots have a controlled carburetor heating, although not the very basic ones (like Agility).

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2012, 10:09:33 PM »
Some posts should be stickies.

EVERY classic A50 and A125 2006/7/8/9 has the same issue.

I have investigated this and found out that resistance of auto choke is wrong and not according to specs. I also doubt that Kymco has changed supplier who is supplying wrong choke, ending up with scoots having this behavior.
I am not a fan of auto chokes. They do not "read" the engine at all. Simple 12 volt heating elements. I have replaced every one w/ a manual choke, and only need it to start. I never have to ride with one engaged.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2012, 12:31:31 AM »
Man I hated that auto-choke BS with the stock carb. It gave trouble all the time. Most engines with carburetors need a little throttle bump on a cold start. If I even attempted to bump the throttle the thing wouldn't start for an hour. My 4 wheeler will not start, even hot, without a throttle bump. I might go for a ride on that tonight! Sorry guys I can't live with out 4 wheels and a clutch somewhere in my life.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just install a manual choke from the factory? How lazy are you that you can't just pull a lever for cold starts? I'll swear by my Dellorto. Mine starts fist kick every time(I burnt through my starter wire on the hot exhaust, oops). Meaning to fix that. All I need now is 20 seconds max of choke and a bump of the throttle in order for it to idle okay. That auto-choke would rev the engine for 5 minutes or more if you didn't go ahead and start riding.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2012, 01:00:47 AM »
New oil will NOT spoil.. The addition of combustion by-products will "foul" the oil, rendering it harmful to metals. I don't know the chemistry here but oil will become acidic, and actually "etch" bearing surfaces. NOT always tho. Depends on region,degree of use, and Other sctuff!
I went to Exxon-Mobil and asked;

1. Why should oil in cars be changed after one year if not driven much?
2. Does motor oil become stale on the shelf?

They answered- The shelf-life of motor oil unopened is 5 years. You must change the oil
once a year regardless of mileage due to condensation build-up in the
motor oil which can turn into an acidic fluid which can corrode your
metal components inside your engine.

-MJ

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2012, 03:00:38 AM »
I went to Exxon-Mobil and asked;

1. Why should oil in cars be changed after one year if not driven much?
2. Does motor oil become stale on the shelf?

They answered- The shelf-life of motor oil unopened is 5 years. You must change the oil
once a year regardless of mileage due to condensation build-up in the
motor oil which can turn into an acidic fluid which can corrode your
metal components inside your engine.

-MJ

F'n WOW. I got goose bumps...

Richard L.

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2012, 03:01:00 AM »

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2012, 09:38:39 AM »
Man I hated that auto-choke BS with the stock carb. It gave trouble all the time. Most engines with carburetors need a little throttle bump on a cold start.

Well, I think that auto choke, if properly dimensioned, is a great thing, both on cars with carbs (do they exist today??) and scoots.
Never had a problem with them, in fact, for an average driver, it is much more difficult to manage manual choke and adjust it as the engine warms up, and then disengage it completely when warm.
There are women driving scoots too, no pun intended, generally they could not care less about choke and how it works.
Scoots have to be simple machines well suited for everybody, not only for us who tend to know more about them.

This "throttle bump" story is interesting. All my scoots until P250S, when cold, had to be started without any throttle at all and some throttle when warm.
However, P250S, when completely cold, needs an exact twist of the throttle, and then suddenly release of it, in order to fire up.
If you do not use it, it will not start, if you use too much for too long, it will flood.
Interesting.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2012, 02:40:04 PM »
 OMG >:(    just let your scoot worm up dont be in a big hurry to get some wear. Realy is it that hard of a thing to do. IM ALL READY GOING BALD STOP MAKEING ME PULL MY HAIR OUT.

....................loVE YOU GUYS ...............................

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2012, 05:28:19 PM »
I noticed myself... (4) pages for warming up! Some passionate blokes here EH!

Blue, Just sit on your hands, and type w/ your tongue. (post up some picts.)

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2012, 02:41:18 AM »
OMG >:(    just let your scoot worm up dont be in a big hurry to get some wear. Realy is it that hard of a thing to do. IM ALL READY GOING BALD STOP MAKEING ME PULL MY HAIR OUT.

....................loVE YOU GUYS ...............................

I'm with you blue
*2001 ZX-50 beater

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2012, 02:56:05 AM »
I'm with you blue

thanks I just cant wait tell rideing season then I can blow off my steam on the road and not on line lol.
its been to long of a winter just wana ride.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2012, 03:35:31 AM »
I hear ya. I can't wait til I can ride in a T-shirt again.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

gregspeople250

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2012, 03:45:02 AM »
It's really fun reading all of your responses.  Ride and have your own experiences with these very inexpensive little mechanical marvels.
Honda Elite 80 - SOLD
Yamaha Vino 125 - SOLD
Kymco People 250 - SOLD
Kymco Like 200i - SOLD
Vespa 250 GTS - SOLD
Piaggio BV350 - FUN! - SOLD
Buddy 170i - FUN! - SOLD
Honda Silverwing - SOLD
Yamaha TMAX - OUTSTANDING! - SOLD
Honda SH150 - SOLD
Yamaha SMAX - SOLD
Kymco AK550

Frank T

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2012, 03:36:11 PM »
beleave me you can harm something like the crank it well bend if to much presure put on it.
I know because I have done it. Rideing with cold oil puts presure on parts that cant handle it.
So it all come down to( HOW LONG DO YOU WANT YOUR SCOOT TO LAST) :'(

I was a M/C dealer for 16 years and Ridden since 1962. My new, then,  1969 VW Beetle OWNER Manual  said to start the engine and drive off. It said that you get ZERO mpg while idling. I had never read or heard that message before.

Many of the OPINIONS expressed on this thread have merit, but my experience is that riding the machine with minimal warm up time has no adverse wear on an engine, especially when a synthetic oil is used and throttle is moderate.

If you live on a street where you have to enter a high speed roadway after only a few blocks of warm up riding, then it may be smart to use synthetic oil or find a different route allowing you to enter the higher speed street until your engine is warmed.

If your scoot does not have a carb warmer and/or automatic choke, consider going to a one size larger idle jet. Your bike will run better while still not warmed up completely. It is jetted unreasonably lean because of the application of automobile and truck pollution standards even though M/C and scooter exhaust contribute only about 2% of the vehicle pollution.
2009 Stella 2T
2003 Bet & Win
2011 Homemade 66cc 2T

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()