Author Topic: NU-FINISH  (Read 3885 times)

sissy mary

• View Profile
NU-FINISH
« on: February 21, 2012, 01:43:31 PM »
I want to use this on my windshield as the rain beads up and I can not see through it. If I wipe my hand over it, it just smears the rain making it worse. Should I usa the paste or the liquid? Do I really rub it in hard? Or just apply-wipe it on, and then wipe it off after it dry's? Will doing this make my windshield less clear? Will it damage my shield? What does Nu finish really do? Does it make water fly-run off like rain x is supposed to do? I have used rain x on cars & bikes, it has never worked for me? :-*

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
Re: NU-FINISH
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 06:44:43 PM »
I have used Nu-Finish liquid, you do not have to really rub.  Just apply thin even coat and wipe off with terry cloth towel or microfiber when dries haze (white). It wipes off easy. I have not had it yellow or harm the plastic on any of the bikes/scoots.  It does a fair job of making the rain slide off if you have any speed.  Does not do much in town at low speed, the water just beads. 

I use it on the whole bike.  Helps with the bugs on the front.  They don't stick quite as bad.  :)
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 01:22:44 AM »
DON"T USE NEW FINISH...EVER. It is a polymer in liquid form. The same effect as using polyurethane on your shield. Even a PERFECT application will cause an "underwater" effect. On painted surfaces it looks worse. It DOES shine, but this is a "bandaid" at best. For the windscreen use 3m Liquid wax. It will outlast any other product for de-fogging/repelling water.
http://www.shop3m.com/marine-liquid-wax.html
Don't let it haze. By hand just keep turning your cloth till it's perfect. By machine do small overlapping sections. It is almost 30 bucks a qt. but outlasts all the others, and that qt may outlast your scoot... Sorrry
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 02:02:33 PM »
Givi recommend this as the only thing to use on there wind screens. I have used it on several with only good results.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 11:21:56 PM »
Racewalker, does Givi recommend the 3M or Nu finish? You didn't say which one? Thanks. :-*

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 11:26:18 PM »
Racewalker, does Givi recommend the 3M or Nu finish? You didn't say which one? Thanks. :-*
I know right! I was buggin' out looking for a link or something...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 01:51:27 AM »
We just started to use Plexis on all of our windscreens and helmet visors.

It is not cheap but feels like it is working when you apply and wipe it.

As a foam, the spray bottle will last a long time.

So far, no scratches when we have used it.

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 03:39:06 AM »
Plexis is recommended by MANY lexan product manufactures. Sort of like "Pledge" for plastic.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 04:31:51 AM »
Since I've had my Givi I've tried a couple things.  Plexis for one.  It gives a nice shine and easy as pie to use but doesn't shed the water off the windshield nicely.  I do like it for a quick shine on the plastics though.  Also tried a liquid wax -- forget the brand -- it's also very easy and beads water like other waxes.  Trying to stay away from anything that brands itself as a "cleaner" wax or polish. 

I'm in the process of searching for waxes/polishes that "sheet" the water off.  I remember a product advertised heavily on TV ten years ago that advertised just that.  I got some at the time and sure enough that is what the water does -- sheets off leaving no beads or anything at all.  Of course I can't remember what it was!  Never tried it on the windshield at the time -- only the car's paint. Didn't give too good of a shine so I didn't buy more. 

Anyway, I've found a few by searching "polish, water, sheeting" just today and going to search some more.  Maybe it's what we need for our Givis.  I guess somebody will have to experiment.   ???

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 10:19:50 AM »
Nu Finish
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 02:39:04 AM »
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Obviously very surprised! I have to charge alot of extra doe rea me to remove it from boats. The average 30' boat costs 200,000.00 today. These are some of the pickiest owners on the planet. When someone uses Nu finish it destroys the finish (gell coat/paint). I could go on to tell how it seals the finish not allowing it to "breath" but... Whatever! If Givi recommends it who am I to disagree... (just what I have done for almost 40 years) (39+)
Try it on a pair of sunglasses (not your good ones), and see! (maybe) Pun Intended!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()