Author Topic: Riding etiquette?  (Read 5258 times)

quinnmallory

• View Profile
Riding etiquette?
« on: February 22, 2012, 04:20:33 AM »
I'm a bit rusty on some of my road etiquette, so perhaps someone can clue me in...

I'm in far right lane and going to turn right at signal. Car ahead of me signals to turn right as well. Car ahead of him (the first one at the stop light) is going straight but we are all stopped by a red light, so the head car forces us to wait until the light turns green so we can turn. Car in front of me has plenty of room on right between him and the curb, so instead of waiting, I squeeze by on the right between him and the curb and past the car at the head of the line and make my right turn on red. less than a minute later (I presume the light turned green seconds after I turned), the car who was in front of me, zooms up right behind me and rides my behind all the way until he finally turns. I presume he was mad at me for what he perceived as my cutting ahead of him. But he was stuck there, I wasn't!

Should I have waited behind him for the light to turn green just because he was turning right, too? Or was I okay to squeeze past him because I could?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Riding etiquette?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 05:00:39 AM »

In todays world why would you even have to ask...   Um... I mean Yeah it's all good!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 05:05:08 AM »
I will try to get the "offending" drivers attention, and PERMISSION.      If not... I wait with the herd!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 05:37:45 AM »
I did that one time downtown and a guy in a Mercedes turned his wheel to the right and closed the gap. Lol I just popped the curb and cut across the sidewalk. I know that was bad. I don't make a habit of it. Just kinda pissed me off at the time.

I think it just depends on where you are. Country roads or downtown. The speed limit is a big factor too. I'll do it downtown because I move a lot quicker than most traffic. Chances are they're not going to catch up to me. But if I'm turning on a country road with a higher speed limit I consider they're ego kicks in and they're gonna wanna pass me(scary) so I don't do it.

It's kind of a double standard. For example: If I'm waiting to make a left at a green light I'll move over to the left as far as possible so people behind me can go around. They don't complain then.

Again I think that's only okay in certain situations. Sometimes I'll wait in the middle of the lane for my safety. I'm just more visible that way.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:42:28 AM by Peters »
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

quinnmallory

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 05:38:07 AM »
Sounds good. I don't generally do anything on purpose to tick drivers off, but if I see an opening I can take that a car can't, I'll usually take advantage of it within reason. For example, I'll lane split, because it's not against the law in this state, but my reason for doing it is because I feel exposed being the last vehicle in a line of stopped cars at a light with potential drivers coming up fast who might not stop.

As for my squeezing by on the right past a driver in front of me who's signalling to turn right, but can't because he can't get around the car at the head of the line, I won't squeeze by if it's tight; only if there's lots of room. And, normally I'd wait.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 05:54:45 AM »
                                                           "Chances are they're not going to catch up to me."
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????!
                                                                                   ~ 50cc People~

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 05:58:52 AM »
Sounds good. I don't generally do anything on purpose to tick drivers off, but if I see an opening I can take that a car can't, I'll usually take advantage of it within reason. For example, I'll lane split, because it's not against the law in this state, but my reason for doing it is because I feel exposed being the last vehicle in a line of stopped cars at a light with potential drivers coming up

Agreed within reason

I know the feeling of people behind you not paying attention. You have to have a lot of brake control as to not brake really hard. On the other hand the person in front of you could slam on the brakes.

I drive home from school at about 8 or 9 o'clock and there is one left turn by my house where I'm always paying attention to the people behind me. I'll flash my brake lights a couple of times right before the turn to get their attention.

I just ordered a super bright LED brake light bulb that flashes 3 or 4 times when you first apply the brake. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042FRXJ0/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 06:07:40 AM »
Most people wouldn't like a scooter squeezing past them because they think they're just gonna be stuck behind it up the road. And with a lot of 50cc scooters that's true. My point is I'm long gone by the time they turn. I don't like to piss people off on a scooter either. Just dumb.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 06:25:44 AM »
Most people wouldn't like a scooter squeezing past them because they think they're just gonna be stuck behind it up the road. And with a lot of 50cc scooters that's true. My point is I'm long gone by the time they turn. I don't like to piss people off on a scooter either. Just dumb.
100% agree...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 10:32:27 AM »
I'm a bit rusty on some of my road etiquette, so perhaps someone can clue me in...

I'm in far right lane and going to turn right at signal. Car ahead of me signals to turn right as well. Car ahead of him (the first one at the stop light) is going straight but we are all stopped by a red light, so the head car forces us to wait until the light turns green so we can turn. Car in front of me has plenty of room on right between him and the curb, so instead of waiting, I squeeze by on the right between him and the curb and past the car at the head of the line and make my right turn on red. less than a minute later (I presume the light turned green seconds after I turned), the car who was in front of me, zooms up right behind me and rides my behind all the way until he finally turns. I presume he was mad at me for what he perceived as my cutting ahead of him. But he was stuck there, I wasn't!

Should I have waited behind him for the light to turn green just because he was turning right, too? Or was I okay to squeeze past him because I could?

1. Overtaking on the right side is FORBIDDEN by the law in most countries, unless the vehicle being overtaken is waiting stationary to turn LEFT. I have just checked law applicable in USA (Nevada, for example) and it is the same.

2. Most scooterists/motorcycle drivers do what you did, so do I. However, I know idiots who overtake me, usually with 50 cc scoots, from the right side WHILE we are driving. I have had that happen to me with cars too. This is quite incredible how careless and ignorant people are.

3. There are big risks associated with overtaking from the right side. Primary risk, especially during summer, are stupid people opening their door on the passenger side to vent the car, and people exiting the vehicle during vehicle being stopped at the red light. This happens often in urban areas.

4. Do not overtake long vehicles that are stationary at red lights unless you want to be pancaked. While turning they usually use all width of the lane, especially buses and long trailer trucks. It takes quite a few seconds to overtake them and green light may turn on anytime and if they start moving while you are beside them, you are fu**ed, meaning, mangled. Also, you are in the dead angle and cannot be seen.

Most of this is not riding etiquette, it is common sense.

I am least worried about the law and hurt egos of cagers left behind, I worry about my own ass getting to destination intact. If I am commuting, this usually involves also "in least time", so my driving style is a compromise between all these factors.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:35:16 AM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 11:05:57 AM »
Another problem might be the red light.
In Germany, Switzerland and many many other countries a red light urges to stop. No matter what you want to do _behind_ the red light (i.e. right turn).
Run a red light and you will be fined with a compulsory break from driving - in addition to €€€ and malus points on your driving record.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 02:03:37 PM »
here in the states its the law to just wait and turn at your time dont be in a hurry .You do wana get there alive dont you. when driveing take care of your self and watch out for others. I always say if you wana put others at risk you should stay of the road.

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 02:32:17 PM »
Yepp. But I don't know where quinnmallory is located.
Perhaps he is from GB (drive left, pass right) and just joking. ;)

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 03:07:32 PM »
 Like Blue said, I try to stay alive without hurting others.

RichardL
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:04:30 PM by fshfindr »
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 03:38:52 PM »
Most cage drivers in the U.S. are asleep at the wheel or distracted by something other than driving.  I will take advantage of an opening to squeeze by when I can.   The other day a cage was stopped at a stop sign, the driver was talking on her cell and just sitting there.  I was turning right so I squeezed by and rode off.  In this case I was not worried about pissing her off because she was being an inconsiderate idiot by talking on her cell and holding up traffic.   I normally won't squeeze by if I'm on my 150 and going on to a high speed road where the cage will be passing me. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()