Author Topic: Riding etiquette?  (Read 5256 times)

Portland Steve

• View Profile
Re: Riding etiquette?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 05:55:51 PM »
I do sneak by in many cases.  It may not be legal, but I try to use my best judgement.
It seems like a waste of fuel to wait in line, if you can safely scoot by.  This will be my excuse to the officer anyway.
I am able to squeeze by on the right side of cars backed up in the parking garage where I park without trouble.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 06:15:05 PM »
I actually was pulled over for this maneuver!  I was behind 1 car as we pulled up to a red light at a "T" intersection.  I was going right, the car in front signaled left.  With plenty of room on the right side, I pulled around and up to the stop line, I stopped and waited for another vehicle to cross the intersection and turned behind it.  Unfortunately the car I went around was an unmarked cop car!  :o They immediately aborted their left turn and lit me up.  I was let off with a warning and informed that at no time is it legal to pass another vehicle on the right.  This is the law in North Carolina...may be different elsewhere. 

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 08:41:01 PM »
Most cage drivers in the U.S. are asleep at the wheel or distracted by something other than driving.  I will take advantage of an opening to squeeze by when I can.   The other day a cage was stopped at a stop sign, the driver was talking on her cell and just sitting there.  I was turning right so I squeezed by and rode off.  In this case I was not worried about pissing her off because she was being an inconsiderate idiot by talking on her cell and holding up traffic.   I normally won't squeeze by if I'm on my 150 and going on to a high speed road where the cage will be passing me. 

Dont ya love cell phones and girls puting makeup on while they are driveing. with the way the world is right now just watch out for your self and drive smart and safe. Dont take chances. You might come across a time wear you say to your self .(WHY DID I DO THAT)

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 09:02:35 PM »
I'll take your word for it Shaka but think about this. If your in a car with 1 car in front of you. Your both waiting at a red light and the guy in front of you is clearly going straight. It's common practice(if there is enough room) to pull to the right of them, stop, make sure no traffic is coming, and make the turn. Is that illegal? I've done that with a cop behind me and they do the same thing.

I Guess the problem lies when there are multiple cars in front of you and you don't know who's going straight or left and who is making a right. If they don't put on a signal I assume they're going straight.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 10:14:26 PM »
I'll take your word for it Shaka but think about this. If your in a car with 1 car in front of you. Your both waiting at a red light and the guy in front of you is clearly going straight. It's common practice(if there is enough room) to pull to the right of them, stop, make sure no traffic is coming, and make the turn. Is that illegal? I've done that with a cop behind me and they do the same thing.

Actually, the scenario you have described seems to be illegal in EU and USA.
In both (btw. what are those, countries?!? :) ) of them, it is legal to do that ONLY if the guy in front of you is turning LEFT, not if he is going straight or turning right.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 10:48:20 PM »
" Unfortunately the car I went around was an unmarked cop car!"
Only you Shaka... only u~   
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 11:29:16 PM »
" Unfortunately the car I went around was an unmarked cop car!"
Only you Shaka... only u~   

I know...tell me about it! 
Even though I now know it is illegal...I still do it on occasion.  I figure it's one of the perks of riding a scoot.  Just gotta keep an eye out for the bacon.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 11:51:53 PM »
Where's that Rodney King spirit!     There it is...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 02:19:08 AM »
Cops lie. I've been pulled on several occasions for spinning tires(front wheel drive is easy to do). My lawyer told me it's not against the law and they had no right to pull me or search my car. Wreckless driving is against the law. If they have video of you fishtailing all over the place that's kinda hard to defend.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 02:36:29 AM »
Illegal to pass on the right on a 2 lane road? Absolutely. I never argued that.

I've never been pulled for going to the right of 1 car going straight, or left, in my life. And I'll continue to do it til I am told otherwise by a lawyer. I love how this bloated European is trying to tell me the laws in my country.

Now if there are multiple cars in front of me with no right turn signal on, I'll use my best judgement as well as look over my shoulder for bacon.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 02:58:00 AM »
have pations and never assume.cars and trucks are bigger then us it all comes down to safe rideing.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 03:07:02 AM »
I'm not just talking about riding scooters anymore. I'm talking about a work truck and trailer. If I'm okay doing it in that you're damn straight the same "etiquette" applies to riding a scooter. After all "etiquette" is the topic not the law.  You don't just fly past people. Do it slowly. Make sure they know you're there.

Don't worry I'm done
*2001 ZX-50 beater

quinnmallory

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 05:36:57 AM »
Specifically, I was on a two way street that has three lanes in each direction. My particular move was to move past the second car in line who was signaling to go right, but who was blocked from doing so because of the car going straight at the head of the line. Because I was smaller and able to fit between the cars and the curb, I slipped past and turned right. Normally here, it isn't against the law to turn right on a red while passing a car at the head of the line waiting to go straight as long as there is room to do so safely. I guess my concern was that by bypassing another vehicle waiting to turn right simply because I was able to do so while he was stuck broke some sort of etiquette rule or something...

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 06:11:18 AM »
Normally here, it isn't against the law to turn right on a red while passing a car at the head of the line waiting to go straight as long as there is room to do so safely.
Need I say more?
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 06:52:53 AM »
All I have to say is that normally you don't get pulled for it here either....however.... I have!!!!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()