Author Topic: Mercury Quicksilver full synthetic oil?  (Read 4788 times)

Rage

• View Profile
Mercury Quicksilver full synthetic oil?
« on: February 25, 2012, 02:38:19 AM »
Anyone have any input on this? Its the only full synthetic I can find around me. Also, need a new air filter, mine is dry rotted...... any recommendations?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Mercury Quicksilver full synthetic oil?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 04:03:42 AM »
Get them on line!
The air filter you can get from stadium yamaha, and I believe they carry Spectro Platinum SX2 32:1. No better oil oil my opinion. The filter I don't know the cost but the oil can be bought for $6.00 a 16oz bottle by the case or 5 bucks if you buy two cases.
The quick silver oil is made to run from 50-100:1. So it really depends on application. My set runs at 32:1 Synth due to tight tolerances. It would not fair so well if I used Synth blended oils as they would be too thick at my premix level. leaning the fuel charge along the way. If your set up is well worn Full Synth. may accelerate wear by reducing the carbon/varnish left from the blended oils. That "residue" may be
 the main reason a worn engine can still preform well. From a new build on is the BEST argument for using FULL Synth oil. A worn engine collapsing from full Synth. washing out varnishes/deposits is the only argument against it. ( Feeding Time Boys!) Determine where you stand in there, and use what suits. Full Synth. WILL help a middle of the equation engine perform better. It has a higher molecular bond strength than blends, and does not "shear" as easily. Thus tighter tolerances.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 05:29:48 AM »
If you are not pre-mixing amsoil interceptor has been working very well for me . Amsoil dealers are everywhere just google Amsoil and they have dealer locators online . Good luck .

Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 02:59:09 PM »
Thanks for the info. It has 2,000 miles on it, not sure what oil was run in it.... all I know is that its green ;D  Bike is stock, but revs to 9,000+rpm, does that mean it was derestricted(at least the rev limiter)?  Thanks again!

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 03:09:14 PM »
I have heard that it is important to try to choose an oil and stick with it , also 9,000 rpm was just discussed in a super 9 thread last week and it was said to be perfectly safe . Quicksilver 2 stroke oil has also been discussed here before and it was agreed that it is not suitable for scooters . Good luck .
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:12:41 PM by juice »

Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 03:31:22 PM »
Thanks Juice... not sure if my search is working properly. All my searches within super 9 category pull up very little. I searched for quicksilver again and only this thread showed up ???

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 04:12:35 PM »
You could also consider an online supplier , after all a quart will last 800-1000 mi . amazon , motorcycle superstore , etc .

Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 04:31:35 PM »
That was my next question... how long it lasts...lol. Thanks again!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 05:11:53 PM »
I use 1 1/2oz for a little more than 3.6 liters of fuel a day. So a quart lasts approx. 10 days. (that's why I buy by the case's) The only Green 2t Oil I have seen is hardware store/wallmart chainsaw oil. Once you decide on an oil stick w/ it cause of deposits left behind. If you change oils they will all have different residues. These can either bind together creating a "glue" type material seizing rings ect... or they can actually repel each other causing a lack of lubrication. Kinda like oil, and water.
Don't sweat changing now as long as you CLEAN out your oil system first. Take it easy on the scoot for the first 50-100 miles to let the oil clear out any residue from the old stuff, and you will be fine. Just use the best you can afford, and buy alot of it so as not to run out.

Oh the search deal... Just type in Amsoil/quicksilver/ect. and youll get plenty of links to choose
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=5367.0
Hmmmm! I didn't get many either?? ?? ??
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 06:18:29 PM »
This is where I got my info. Notice there are different recomendations for injection systems and pre-mix , depending on what you choose to do . www.amsoil.com/products/twocycle/2cycle_chart.

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 07:47:09 PM »
I use AMSOIL interceptor in my stock bikes, and anything performance gets the Dominator.  I use Interceptor for both pre-mix and injected, and have never had issues.

~Josh
www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 08:42:51 PM »
"WORD"

Qwarantine

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 08:43:26 PM »
I've put 7000 kms on my stock 07 S9 and have been using Lucas semi synthetic 2 stroke oil.  After reading about all these oils you guys have been using, i'm hoping i have been using a decent product.  Also, I am in the process of purchasing all the toys to do a good 70cc upgrade....will i have to start premixing a bit of oil in with the fuel after the upgrade?  and if so, how much?  Thanks.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 12:34:37 AM »
That all depends on the parts you use. Some kits run on injectors just fine while others will seize almost instantly.
One thing to consider is the pump supplies varying amounts of oil. At wot it is around 50:1. Adding oil to the tank at the same time will LEAN the fuel charge creating more heat in the cylinder. As you let off the throttle your pump goes down to around 100:1. With the same lean fuel (in the tank), and the heat from the wot run you are now decelerating at lets say 8'000rpms with an Approx oil mix of 90:1. More heat
 I talked with a top notch tuner about this, and I tend to find him correct. "If you are running a higher power output engine than the pump was intended for USE PRE-MIX."
 I ran a Malossi kit for almost 4 years on the pump, and added about 1/2oz 2t to the tank. I can't say your set up WONT work but I have since been staying with one or the other.
In fact the Malossi was on the FIRST engine I have EVER left the pump on. Injectors are easier but not always better.

To answer your first question... When you pull the cylinder off you will know by the condition of the piston rings if your oil is a good choice. They should still fit loosely in the grooves, and not be binding. There should be NO deposits in the groves.

Post a thread on your build! We'd love to see it.

Qwarantine

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 04:03:00 AM »
That is some great info...thanks a bunch.  I just found out a great piece of news today that may be taking my S9 project a little further than i expected.  We have a new scooter tuner in town by the name of Josh Ilott and apparently he is one of the top tuners in the country.  I saw a scooter in his shop today that runs the 1/4 mile in 14 sec flat.  I don't expect to have my S9 attempting to beat that but i'm thinking i may go a little wilder than i had previously thought.  I'll keep you posted......

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()