Author Topic: Nut size.  (Read 6030 times)

sissy mary

• View Profile
Nut size.
« on: February 26, 2012, 10:47:47 PM »
I need to pull my stock variator & clutch off to check things out after my second belt broke. What is the mm size of the variator and clutch nut's?  :-* :-*

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: Nut size.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 06:56:41 PM »
Var is 27mm

Clutch is 19mm

Darn another belt?  Or is this the same one you talked about last time?  How about the washer with the inner bevel that goes behind the entire var on the crankshaft?  Bevel goes toward engine.  That in correctly? 

You prob remember me posting these pics -- maybe they'll be of help.  Of course one can always use an impact gun too.  http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=3814.0

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:05:37 PM »
Thanks, I looked at the parts list on one of the parts web sites, and it says the variator nut is 18mm, and the clutch nut is 14mm? I guess it is the thread size???? ??? I knew by looking at them that they were larger than that! Once again thanks. Now if I can get them off without the use of a tool to hold the var in place while I try to get the nut off I'll be stylin. :-*

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 05:18:47 AM »
Yeah, Sissy that's gotta be thread sizes.  Well, I don't know how to do it without either a holding tool or impact wrench.  I think it's impossible actually.  I couldn't even get the var nut by holding the holding tool with just my bare arm strength.  That's why I had to come up with the piece of angle steel (old tent stake I think) wedged under the air box.  I reckon a small piece of hardwood would do too.  ie. oak wood.  Even with all this holding it it takes a MIGHTY pull on the breaker bar to get the nut broken loose.  Depends on how tight the last mechanic put it on -- which should be pretty darn tight! 

The clutch is a similar tightness.  There's nothing to rotate the holding tool into there so I hold it by hand and bang the end wrench with a 6 lb. shorty sledge hammer.  Have to bang several times usually and of course the wrench falls off after almost every bang.  Even once it starts to move it's an incredible feat of strength to make it come the rest of the way loose!  I usually have what feels like pulled muscles for days after loosening either one.  :D

By the way, I noticed a hairline crack in the washer under the var nut a few times ago so ordered a replacement.  The manual instructs to smear a film of motor oil on the under side of the var nut when going back on.  I guess so you get a proper torque reading if using a torque wrench.  I don't use one but always put a thin film on anyway.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:24:14 AM by Hoolander2 »

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 05:34:55 AM »
Further observations and experience.  When reassembling, once you're to the point of putting the var nut back on, I screw it on by stages, rotating the var a bit between stages and noting how the belt is riding.  I've had the belt get pinched and if you tighten nut all the way you're really going to pinch the heck out of the belt. Not to mention you'll think the nut is tight when it might not be so.  I even use a smooth ended socket extension (anything with a smooth tip) to go in between the pulley faces and push the belt out away from the narrow low point.

You'll know if the belt is getting pinched when you rotate the pulley the belt coming out of the pulley is lower than the belt going in.  Also you get a grabbing sensation when rotating.  When it's right it'll make a little grabbing giggling noise but not much. 

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 01:18:14 PM »
I contacted a dealer & I can purchase the variator holding tool for $25.00 & $12.00 shipping. I think I will need it!  :-*

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 03:49:44 PM »
Yeah, that's not bad considering you won't have to mess with modifying it.  ;)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 05:06:30 PM »

I just posted this for another fella. There are dozens of ways to get the var off. One tip is squeeze the belt in the middle before loosening the var nut. This will pull the torque drive open, and give you plenty of slack in the belt so the reinstall is easier.
Search around utube and see some of the other methods. I personally DON'T use an impact driver but it may help. One of those Harbor freight cheepos' are fine.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 04:41:55 AM »
Right.  I got one of those Harbor Freight electric impacts and then never used it.  I guess my reasoning at the time was if my wrenches wouldn't do the job, I'd be ready with that.  Zombie, I've tried squeezing the belt in the middle and brother, on the Xciting 500 it has no effect!   Now I have gone around the driven pulley tapping the belt in deeper.  Mainly I guess rotating the var while slowly tightening the nut will take the belt deeper into the driven and give you more slack. 

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 12:47:07 AM »
I bought one of the harbor freight impact wrenches also. On sale, $40.00 can't beat that. I'm going to use it to put everything back together. This will sure make the next time more easy. :-*

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 06:04:30 AM »
Be CAREFUL! It's easier than you think to shear the crankshaft off. Don't go all NASCAR pit crew on it.

Nut Size? What were you thinking Sissy?   Never mind...

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 07:37:09 AM »
Those Harbor freight electric impact wrenches pull a small fraction of the torque of a Snap On pneumatic impact. Still go easy. I put my shoes on the variator to hold it. Otherwise you're violently turning the motor backwards.

I've probably been through 8 of those Harbor freight impact wrenches. I just buy a 1 year warranty with it every time and they'll replace it if it breaks.($5.99 I think) I only paid for the first one.

Works great for occasional use, but we beat the hell out of it installing lifts. With the warranty why not?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 07:44:17 AM by Peters »
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 04:54:38 PM »
I am going to replace the whole variator with a malossi as my old one is shot. So it does not matter if the old fan/outer pully half is damaged or not. So could someone hold the variator steady with a long screw driver, or as Hoolander stated, with a piece of wood to get it off while I turn the nut? I hate to buy the removal tool if it will not work getting the new melossi off! Also, can the clutch be removed without a special tool? I want to inspect the splines before I order a $265.00 part. :-* 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 05:55:41 PM »
You might want to check IF the Malossi comes with the outer pulley. I have not seen a Malossi kit that contains this part. Same goes for the drive boss. Some models have it included, and others you have to purchase it separately. If you HAVE to re use your outer pulley scuff it up with scotch brite (green) or 400-600grit emory cloth.

Don't assume anything is disposable. If you keep searching utube there are a lot more tips.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()