Author Topic: Riding at Night & or With Passenger  (Read 2827 times)

Syl

• View Profile
Riding at Night & or With Passenger
« on: February 27, 2012, 09:10:25 AM »
I honestly feel that I may a bit chicken yet to tackle either one of these yet! I never gave it much thought but does this make me a beginner scooter enthusiast yet? I've had my 200 and now the 300 for approx. 1 1/2 yrs or so and had taken the PA Motorcycle Safety Course (which) I enjoyed and learned from). The instructors were very good with people and they knew their stuff. I would recommend new scooters to take such a course. What is it like riding the 300i at night and/or having a passenger? I weigh 245, should I still run a passenger? Where do most of you keep your spring adjustment? Thanks

axy

• View Profile
Re: Riding at Night & or With Passenger
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 10:05:24 AM »
I honestly feel that I may a bit chicken yet to tackle either one of these yet! I never gave it much thought but does this make me a beginner scooter enthusiast yet? I've had my 200 and now the 300 for approx. 1 1/2 yrs or so and had taken the PA Motorcycle Safety Course (which) I enjoyed and learned from). The instructors were very good with people and they knew their stuff. I would recommend new scooters to take such a course. What is it like riding the 300i at night and/or having a passenger? I weigh 245, should I still run a passenger? Where do most of you keep your spring adjustment? Thanks

1. Riding at night: the same as riding during the day, only with lights on.

2. Riding with passenger: my People 250S is made for total passenger weight that equals mine (and equals yours), so when one more passenger is up, it bottoms out and it is generally crappy, even more crappy than already crappy scooter suspension, so lately I have been avoiding riding two up. When I had other scooters, I did not experience such issues, so this was a surprise for me that was not advertised. I weighed as an average Asian when I was 10 years old.  ;D

Try riding at night with passenger during snow storm.  ;D ;D Did that too...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:07:03 AM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 02:36:52 PM »
Not sure where you are in PA but it can be deer central. Get better lights, at least the PIAA's. At night I alwys try to ride as if the other guy does not see me. As always the lights limit your attention out of your periphial, drive with care.

with 2 up you are about my weight. Youl will want the Dr Pulley 20x12 14gr sliders. Otherwise expect the bike to be bogged down quite a bit. As far as suspension it seemed fine but you could tell the tire was overloaded. I usually ride with the shocks set to 3 but you may want a bit more of preload dialed in. next time I plan to try 36 LBS in the tire instead of the 32 I use normally.

Remeber the bikes overall load capacity is like 370 LBS so unless your passenger is 125 LBS you are overloaded. Tires are rated maximum 354 KG or 780 LBS and 411 LBS is the bike itself. Even less when you consider adding a passsenger adds the load to the rear tire and noit so much the front.......

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 04:35:14 PM »
I have ridden my Yager one time at night and one time with a passenger.  At night I felt my spidie sense light up.  I was more aware than ever before.  I was in town, with some traffic, actually, not a problem.  The highway would probably be diff.  With my 110 pound grand son & my 210, on a busy road I had power to spare, just a little more bumpy.  I had made no adjustments.  I hope this helps, it's all fun.  Axy was born on a bike, he probably forgot those first jitters.

Richard L.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 04:36:51 PM by fshfindr »
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 06:22:11 PM »
I have ridden my Yager one time at night and one time with a passenger.  At night I felt my spidie sense light up.  I was more aware than ever before.  I was in town, with some traffic, actually, not a problem.  The highway would probably be diff.  With my 110 pound grand son & my 210, on a busy road I had power to spare, just a little more bumpy.  I had made no adjustments.  I hope this helps, it's all fun.  Axy was born on a bike, he probably forgot those first jitters.

Actually - no. First time ever sat on a scooter in 1999, when I was 24! In fact, when I earned it myself.  ;D >:( >:( :o
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 11:12:55 PM »
Thanks for the input and I know driving at night is not like driving during daylight but using lights!! I have great peripheral vision, but can't use that with mere scooter lights unless replaced from it said on here. Yes, deer is a always concern day and night in Pa. can't reduce speed much or get run over from behind. Ok, I weigh 245 and with the said limit, best I watch the passenger weight. I have not rode a passenger as yet. Another question would be, with a large Givi box with the back rest cushion attached...is it a good reason not to have the passenger depend on leaning back on it? These all may be dumb questions but this stuff will all be new to me. Years ago I was on a large Harley when the front tire blew out at 70 mph...don't even want to recall and tell what happened. Just purchased another Fulmer Helmet 9B AF-9Bishade and if anyone else does so due to a broken hinge system...don't for that reason only. I found I could have ordered just a replaceable hinge system. OH well, at least I now have an extra when and if I take on a passenger!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 12:24:53 AM »
I find passengers are better off leaning into ME. They MUST follow your every move. NOT thinking on their own. Once you have a rapport with a GOOD passenger they may feel better against the back rest. It takes as much for a passenger to ride as it does for you. Sooo riding close to you is better for both in the beginning.
Ps... Get one of those T shirts that say "If you can read this the B---- fell off"
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 08:45:04 AM »
Well I do have a new Hi-Viz color T-Shirt that reads, "CAN YOU SEE ME NOW". Well, I guess I have that to look forward to, a passenger. I believe this summer will be a big influx of 2 wheel scooters etc. with this gas price going through the roof.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
Well I do have a new Hi-Viz color T-Shirt that reads, "CAN YOU SEE ME NOW". Well, I guess I have that to look forward to, a passenger. I believe this summer will be a big influx of 2 wheel scooters etc. with this gas price going through the roof.

Currently, 2 US$/liter where I live. And much more in some other countries (Norway 2.53 US$/liter).

You have a long way to go before even seeing where the roof is. You are now roughly 0.7 m above the ground level.  ;D
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 05:20:29 PM »
Currently, 2 US$/liter where I live. And much more in some other countries (Norway 2.53 US$/liter).

You have a long way to go before even seeing where the roof is. You are now roughly 0.7 m above the ground level.  ;D
As much as we Americans complain about this, and that... Fuel prices should be at the bottom of that list. Most people are NOT aware that Gasoline is one of the CHEAPEST items we buy per gallon. Milk is more, Turpentine? Acetone? Paint thinner? Hell Coca Cola is more if you buy (2) 2 liter bottles.
I would not EVER fill/own an SUV/Pick Up TrUUUUUK costing $100.00 or more per fill up. Imagine running that big fat pig of a vehicle in Norway! $250. +++
I like my scoots! Oh and Florida just fine.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 10:04:54 PM »
As much as we Americans complain about this, and that... Fuel prices should be at the bottom of that list. Most people are NOT aware that Gasoline is one of the CHEAPEST items we buy per gallon. Milk is more, Turpentine? Acetone? Paint thinner? Hell Coca Cola is more if you buy (2) 2 liter bottles.
I would not EVER fill/own an SUV/Pick Up TrUUUUUK costing $100.00 or more per fill up. Imagine running that big fat pig of a vehicle in Norway! $250. +++
I like my scoots! Oh and Florida just fine.

Situation is much worse when average net monthly salary is 1000 US$ and gasoline is 2 US$, like in my country.
To the east (Bosnia, Serbia, Macedonia), salaries are 50 % lower and gasoline is 10 % cheaper...
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 11:57:15 PM »
Personally, Oil, Water and Gas come from the earth which really belongs to everyone. Yes it's realized that companies that prospect for it should make money on getting it out to all but it should stay more reasonable for all to be able to afford it. Prices are set taking advantage of the worlds population being we all need these natural resources and they can manipulate the profit they make. I can well imagine the high profits they bring in even though they tell us all is regulated by PUC etc. I don't believe it for a moment.

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 12:29:56 AM »
tanware is spot on....................i do quite a bit of night riding.....but most of it is traveled on roads i use during the day and am familiar with ....as re doubling up......i don't do it....even with different sliders ....if you attempt to ride with someone even half your weight.....you won't enjoy it......i am about 220 lbs.   i have only taken my nephew who is 11 and weighs about 90 lbs......i will have to wait until i can afford another scooter (500cc minimum......BEFORE I WILL ENTERTAIN DOUBLING UP .....

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 04:21:41 AM »
 (500cc minimum......BEFORE I WILL ENTERTAIN DOUBLING UP .....

Size does matter!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()