Author Topic: Air Filter  (Read 3138 times)

Jax

• View Profile
Air Filter
« on: February 27, 2012, 10:06:51 AM »
Thinkin of Getting rid of the massive air box off my Super 9, if I was to change it to a cone filter ( or open to suggestions on the best option ) been told you have to change the carb jets, is there a standard size to change to or is it trial and error ?  which jets have to be changed and does anything else have to be changed ????

Thanx

axy

• View Profile
Re: Air Filter
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 12:07:57 PM »
Potential for gain: close to zero
Potential for various troubles: immense

I'd ditch the idea unless you change and tune stock piston and exhaust.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 06:01:14 PM »
Make sure not to damage your stock parts and save them . Good luck .

Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 07:09:30 PM »
I need a new stock air filter..... mine is crumbling apart. Where do you guys get yours?

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 07:34:11 PM »
www.stadiumyamaha.com]www.stadiumyamaha.com                                                                                                                                                                            17205 17205-KEB7-900   ELEMENT AIR/C | is a saleable item  $18.22
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:39:36 PM by juice »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 12:40:52 AM »
Thinkin of Getting rid of the massive air box off my Super 9, if I was to change it to a cone filter ( or open to suggestions on the best option ) been told you have to change the carb jets, is there a standard size to change to or is it trial and error ?  which jets have to be changed and does anything else have to be changed ????

Thanx

I prefer the K/n type "cone" filters. You will HAVE to rejet for one to work. Usually 2 sizes bigger on the pilot, and 2-10 sizes on the main. If you are new to jetting I suggest reading LOTS of threads in the 50cc sections as MOST of the threads have some jetting issues involved.
You will gain in all areas of operation (rpm's . low end / top end) but not much. The jetting/open filter are used usually with a pipe to get the increase in the pipe mod. If JUST the filter is changed ... Open the carb FIRST to see what size jets you have now. Then order 2-3 of each stepping up in size. Install the larger ones first, and work toward leaner. Much safer that way.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Jax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 01:44:20 PM »
Thanx for replies, I'm new to all this so might see if I can get someone who knows what they doing to do it for me.

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 04:02:29 PM »
My oem S9 jets were 82mj    35pj

There are several ppl that say the S9 runs better WITH the OEM airbox, especially after a bbk, 19mm arreche carb. I have tried both. The box is quieter for sure. The box will richen the mix more than a filter.
For me in this part of the world, I had to start thinking about rain,etc. My S9 just dies as soon as the filter gets wet in any rain. Of course it's not as QUICK as the zx to die off, the zx dies immediately with moisture(big ass 24mm carb though as well).
Being stuck on the side of the rd during a storm WAY SUX.. I was in the middle of a HAIL storm with no where to hide that day cuz the scoot died.(i ended up having to ride the rest of the way home W/O a filter at all after several hrs of panic.  ::)..NOT A GOOD CHOICE TO DO BTW!!! (needless to say i re installed the oem box)(modded for "de restriction").
You'll get some sound from it if that's the only mod but like zombie says, you may need to rejet to get anything extra. I'm thinking it would work better with a pipe IMHO.

If you do pick up a cone filter, i actually been getting mine at a local MC shop for about $10.
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 07:37:54 PM »
Thanx for replies, I'm new to all this so might see if I can get someone who knows what they doing to do it for me

..we were all new at this once...nothing like experience and the satisfaction of knowing that .."Wow!!..I just made my scoot go 7 mph faster"...

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 12:25:46 AM »
I came her for one simple question, and 4,000 posts later WTF dude...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 12:46:52 AM »
It had become a second home..... ;)    8)   ::)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 12:52:11 AM »
I think Slinger, and I were racing to 500 when you joined Bats. Look at us now!
Should get PAID for this sh^t. 8 WHOLE days of my life... Well Better than smoking I guess.

I already know what you're gonna say... Smoking what?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 11:38:27 AM »

...woww...i used to rave about the # of posts...i remember hitting 666...think batman pointed that'n out..
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 01:02:33 PM »

...woww...i used to rave about the # of posts...i remember hitting 666...think batman pointed that'n out..

I've tried following you the whole way too.... :D  8)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 05:42:40 AM »
Kiss ass!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()