Author Topic: Super 8 150 crusing speed / top speeds?  (Read 14461 times)

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
Super 8 150 crusing speed / top speeds?
« on: February 28, 2012, 02:50:55 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm doing a Honda Ruckus engine swap, and I've got a Super 8 150 engine and front wheel mounted in the bike.  The project is a very long way from completion, but just for my own info I was wondering what kind of easy cruising speeds you get out of your Super 8 150.  I assume that 55-60 is about on par?  For this Ruckus project, I expect speeds a little higher since it's going to be on a much lighter and smaller frame.

Best,

~Josh
www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Super 8 150 crusing speed / top speeds?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 05:36:55 PM »
Everyone talks about 75 mph top, and 50 cruise. STOCK!. There is an S8 150 here that does 85 w/ the regular mods...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 05:38:37 PM »
Can you post a Mock up Pict? I'm curious about the "scale". (engine size to frame)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 07:50:55 PM »
Can you post a Mock up Pict? I'm curious about the "scale". (engine size to frame)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 07:54:53 PM by Areomyst »

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 08:32:15 PM »
I did not realize the rucus had dual rear shocks , unusual for a 50cc , but great for your application . Good luck .

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 08:34:36 PM »
It doesn't. :)  The frame has been custom welded to fit this engine, and the shockmounts are from Composimo.  I think he might be a member here, but not sure.  I need to have the shock mounts welded on amongst many many other things.

~Josh

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 09:04:30 PM »
Now if you can find a Dwarf to ride it...  The "scale" is a bit wacky but that will add alot of character.  gonna be a cool scoot.

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 09:14:53 PM »
It's real comfortable man.  I plan on riding it out of state whenever I can. :)

Lots of people do these bikes.  They're a fun platform to build from, because you can pretty much do whatever you want:

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 09:25:12 PM »
Bad ass to the base of the bone! LUV those little F'ers. I see the one w/ the MRP case is a 150... NICE!
Every time I get my keyboard clean... New scoots to make it sticky.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 10:33:45 PM »
My Super 8 tops out at 60-65 on the speedo and cruises comfortable at around 50-53.  Figure that the actual speeds are at least 5 mph less than that.  The fact that the ruckus is lighter will not help top speed.  It's all about the gearing.  The motor could pull a higher speed with different gearing.  If your ruckus has smaller wheels than the Super 8 it will have a lower top and cruising speed unless you find some way to changed the gearing.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 10:45:30 PM »
My Super 8 tops out at 60-65 on the speedo and cruises comfortable at around 50-53.  Figure that the actual speeds are at least 5 mph less than that.  The fact that the ruckus is lighter will not help top speed.  It's all about the gearing.  The motor could pull a higher speed with different gearing.  If your ruckus has smaller wheels than the Super 8 it will have a lower top and cruising speed unless you find some way to changed the gearing.

The ruckus has Super 8 wheels and engine...  Yes, I agree that it comes down to gearing, but acceleration should be better, and I would expect at least a slight increase in top speed as well.  Thank you very much for your input here - it helps a lot as I intend to ride this a long ways at a time.  50-53 should be okay with me though I was hoping for a little higher.  No worries there though, I can always give the engine a few tweaks.

~Josh

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 05:00:10 AM »
Just a thought... I have a Hoca racing Var. / rollers, and a 2000 torque spring NIB..  I bought them for a 150 conversion (similar to yours) and decided not to get the engine. Pm me if you want them.
Turns out I am a 50cc Die Hard!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 09:01:34 AM »
Mine also tops 60-65 and it is a 125cc. One problem about our Super 8 is the air drag in the fairing that I think slows the scoot. Its the area behind the front suspension/front tire. The plastic cover has designs of slots but doesn't have slots.

alandok85

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 06:16:21 AM »
I agree the 150 CC version is capable of much more speed but I think its body panels create alot of drag I can feel that the bike wants to go maybe five MPH faster but something holds it back.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 06:37:39 AM »
I agree the 150 CC version is capable of much more speed but I think its body panels create alot of drag I can feel that the bike wants to go maybe five MPH faster but something holds it back.

Yup! it's the fairing that acts like a parachute.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()