Author Topic: HID bulbs  (Read 4235 times)

ScooterNoob

• View Profile
HID bulbs
« on: February 29, 2012, 05:55:55 AM »
I was wondering what site you guys that have HID bulbs on their DT 300? Im looking to get them upgraded and wondering how long it took to upgrade. Also did anyone use a relay along with the setup or how did people set up their HIDs on their scooter. Thanks

racewalker

• View Profile
Re: HID bulbs
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 02:18:43 AM »
HIDcountry out of Florida. No relay change on mine. I just ran power direct from battery to light relay, fused of course. I have both hi and low hid but there is a worm up time on the hi beams. I wired mine so the low beams are on all the time. I did this by shorting the low beam directly to the hot line on the hi low switch.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

ScooterNoob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 04:44:14 AM »
Ok Thanks. Appreciate the info

ScooterNoob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 04:50:48 AM »
Did you get the motorcylce kit on HIDcountry? I would like to put on 55w ballasts 6000k bulbs. That kit is just a 3X brighter bulb than halogen

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 05:22:13 AM »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 11:21:57 AM »
Did you get the motorcylce kit on HIDcountry? I would like to put on 55w ballasts 6000k bulbs. That kit is just a 3X brighter bulb than halogen
I am running 4 35 watt 6000k on mine. Not sure of the difference in current for the 55 watt.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 11:27:17 AM »
Have you guys checked Ebay for the HID's. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=hid+motorcycle&_sacat=See-All-Categories   30 bucks
You get what you pay for. Most of what I saw were tungsten bulbs with xenon gas, no Hi intensity discharge. I tried a set of hid from ebay on one of my trucks. They have been replaced by a set from HIDcountry now as they were not good! I run hid on both of my trucks and both bikes.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 02:46:11 PM »
Also if you are planning a PnP install get proper ballasts with good caps and error cancling................

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 11:38:13 PM »
That's good info Race, and Tan. I have been considering an HID conversion myself. You may have just saved me 30 bucks!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 03:06:32 PM »
I just installed (cheap) the h8 55w xenon bulbs in the low beams.  Haven't even tested them at night.  I will watch to see if it melts the plastic lens.  If not satisfactory I will switch to HIDs, thanks to Racewalkers info.
2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

scootinChris

• View Profile
    • Toronto Moto Scooter Club
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 04:59:21 AM »
Have you guys tested the blinding effect of the HID conversions ???
As the HID has an arc and not a straight filament, it's beam is not as designed for the lens.
Wondering how noticeable the misalignment is?   :-\
Wouldn't want to blind an oncoming driver and have him veer into my path.  >:(

What are your experiences?

Keep it safe, ATGATT
Have Fun & Ride Safe!  ATGATT

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 05:27:00 AM »
Having blinding HIDs will really really really piss-off other drivers and is very dangerous. Dangerous in the sense that a pissed-off driver will just intentionally drive towards you and clip your scoot.... and will say.. "oooops sorry man, I was blinded by your light" and of course, you'll know it's your fault.

It happened to me....  I was the pissed-off driver of the car.. ;D

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 11:43:28 AM »
Having blinding HIDs will really really really piss-off other drivers and is very dangerous. Dangerous in the sense that a pissed-off driver will just intentionally drive towards you and clip your scoot.... and will say.. "oooops sorry man, I was blinded by your light" and of course, you'll know it's your fault.

It happened to me....  I was the pissed-off driver of the car.. ;D
I find these comments very funny. I have been running hid on all my units for years and never had this happen. they are getting very common here now, most trucks run them and a lot of older cars as well as most of the new cars. I have them on both of my trucks and both of my scooters. In fact on my DT300i I have 4 of them. I drive in the dark a lot here. Much better to see deer and mouse with. You do know that headlights are adjustable. If the persone you mentioned had not had this done I could see your problem but the same would be with any high intensity bulbs maladjusted.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 01:39:38 AM »
I find these comments very funny. I have been running hid on all my units for years and never had this happen.

Yes, maybe because your HIDs are adjusted the right way and pointed at the right direction. Common HIDs here are 10,000K and 20,000K.  People buy these sometimes just to piss off other drivers. They are really very common here and very cheap. As low as $40.00 a pair. Imagine a car with 20,000K HID headlights and another pair for fog lights, all high beams and focused at you.

scootinChris

• View Profile
    • Toronto Moto Scooter Club
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 01:54:48 AM »
Also if you are planning a PnP install get proper ballasts with good caps and error cancling................
Looked at HIDcountry and they have the G5 slim balast version with optional Capacitor.
Did not mention error cancelation. How does that work anyway if you wire it as racewalker did?
Is this the setup you got, racewalker?
Have Fun & Ride Safe!  ATGATT

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()