Author Topic: Carb problems  (Read 6411 times)

agua

• View Profile
Carb problems
« on: March 01, 2012, 07:03:10 PM »
I just installed a 70cc kit on it, Air filter, Fuel filter [on top of the stock]

Cleaned the carb out, adjusted idle jet, adjusted the float

It idles perfectly, sounds good, Revs up fine but when the clutch engages and its starts to move it first runs fine then when you get to higher rpms dies out [as if the carb is dirty again] Sounds to me like a high speed problem.
People 50 2 stroke, running a bit rich b/c of break in

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
Re: Carb problems
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 07:56:27 PM »
3/4 to WOT is the main jet. 1/4 to 3/4 throttle is the needle setting. 1/4 throttle and lower is the slow jet.
You might already know all this. Unfortunately the needle is not adjustable in the stock carb. However, people on here have used the beer can shim method. Do some searches on some of these words you'll find tons of info. I believe wordslinger was the one who told me about it. Also search for art's thread posts. He has, or had, like 3 or 4 of these peoples.

You can shim the needle up some to richen up the mid range. Still it's not like having 5 different needle settings like my Dellorto. Not to mention they sell about 20-30 different needle sizes.

I was never able to figure out how to remove the stock needle from the plastic retainer(I have a bad habit of breaking things that are plastic). I'm sure you already know jets are hard to find for the stock Kehin. I blame that stock carburetor for most of my problems(It wasn't my fault of course :D ;)). I wish I had bought a new carburetor a long time ago. Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 07:58:26 PM by Peters »
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:40:33 AM »
Will it stall out? Pull the spark plug to see if it is fouled of dry. My guess is dry. too lean to run. Changing the air box is tricky. Try going up in main jet size. 2-10 steps.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

agua

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 01:37:53 AM »
its a little on the wet side, i made sure to adjust the oil so that i dident ruin the rebuild. But im thinking of investing in a new carb, the stock carb isent very good imo, its not very adjustable, I like working with carbs with adjustable high and low speed jets. The main is fixed in this one

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 01:43:00 AM »
The main comes out of the atomizer. I thought it was all one piece for a long time. Even after people on here told me it came out. You need a box end wrench and a flat head screwdriver.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:46:43 AM by Peters »
*2001 ZX-50 beater

agua

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 01:48:57 AM »
ya, its inside of the carb, near the float, i took it out to clean it [flat head screw driver] but its not adjustable i dont believe

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 01:54:27 AM »
Well no. I've never heard of adjustable jets with a stock carb. To be honest I don't know how they work either. You'll need to either order new jet(s) or step drill the one you have.

You may want to consider switching to premix gas
*2001 ZX-50 beater

agua

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 02:06:31 AM »
i was thinking the same thing, i dont trust oil pumps, i blew the engine on my Stand up ski when the pump failed. Of coarse it was one of those ill take it out 1 more time before i set it up. But it did rip hard right before.... lolol

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 02:14:42 AM »
You'll definitely need to up jet if you go to premix

Have you changed or drilled the main jet since you put the kit on?
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 05:37:53 AM »
There are LOADS of good carbs on ebay. 19-20 is good for most kits w/out a pipe. If you want to tune some more go to a 24. The oko is a good carb regardless of what the NON tuners think. I don't really see how you can be rich with a stock jet on a 70cc kit but it does happen. Still on the OEM pipe?
 There's a problem with using more oil for break in. It changes the air fuel ratio reeking havoc on tuning, and possibly running lean to a seize. Yes too much oil can cause seizing. Just run at 32-37:1 premix. Your pump will be everywhere between 50:1-100:1. I've just recently RE LEARNED injection pump = STOCK SCOOT! On this build I just removed the pump gear w/ a bench grinder. Try leaning your idle mix to compensate for the top end jetting. It will give you an idea if you are on the right track. Just don't HANG on the throttle.
 If you are not scared you can use torch tip cleaners to open your jets, and solder to close them up. I have a 28mm delorto that has been on everything from stock 50cc's/ kitted 50's to an Elsinore 125 to a china 150 it's on now (loaned it to a friend). Point is I have ONE set of jets for it. I open /close them per application. I'm also using a 19mm del. on a qmb 139. Same deal.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=opera&rls=en&q=torch+tip+cleaners&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1791256478648345067&sa=X&ei=KVpQT9G8GojJtgeOyKCjDQ&ved=0CG0Q8wIwAQ
You can even use the stove for the solder bit.   Not bad. 5 bucks for a thousand different jets
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile

agua

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 03:32:21 PM »
ide like to get the 24, i will need a new intake correct?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 06:40:48 PM »
You can replace the intake for better top end performance, or make/use a "steped" rubber coupler. Using a steped coupler will improve the low end as you get a venturi or ram air effect. I'll bet the 125 people manifold will work or the after market stuff for the S9.
Here's a few ideas  http://www.partsforscooters.com/Welcome?search=intake+manifold

agua

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 07:08:30 PM »
http://www.partsforscooters.com/207-7_Carburetor_Adaptor

Do you think this would work? thanks for all the help! you have been great

i was thinking, bolt this to the mani, then bolt the carb to the adapter, patch the intake as much as possible with a dremel
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 07:14:17 PM by agua »

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 07:12:45 PM »
Don't know. Hey zombie!!!

So did you change or open up the main jet when you installed the kit?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 07:18:40 PM by Peters »
*2001 ZX-50 beater

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()