Author Topic: She's here!  (Read 5845 times)

oldcoastie

• View Profile
She's here!
« on: March 04, 2012, 04:27:37 AM »
Picked up my DT 300i this afternoon... my! what a nice ride! Very stable, very peppy... rode her home for 40+ miles! In many ways very similar to the Grand Vista, only with more space and speed and stability...

I'm having my first problem though (and I'm sure I could get the dealer to take care of it) - the left mirror is uh... floppy, I guess... it spins in circles... on a regular bike without the turn indicators, I'd just spin the mirror around until it tightened up... tried that on the DT, but if I spin too much, the turn signal doesn't work...

Any suggestions on how to tighten it up?

I want to take her out for a good spin in the morning...

(pictures soon)

sentinex

• View Profile
Re: She's here!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 04:49:40 AM »
Congratulations, please post some pic's dying to see your new ride!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 05:25:28 AM »
Hi Oldcoastie. There is a plastic cover on the stem where it angles into the bars. Remove the cover, and there is an Allen head bolt to tighten. UNFORTUNATLY you may have either loosened the bullet connector or "pinched" the 12volt leads to the blinker. IF you have trouble with the blinkers this is where to look first. Don't over tighten the stalk either. You want it to give if there is an impact (elbows, hitting a garage door ect.)
 Old Coastie... Retired Coast Gaurd?      I grew up near a Coast Guard station, and partied w/ alot of the guys (early '70s). We called them the Toastie Coasties. May be we've met?
Enjoy the scoot Bro!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 06:15:55 AM »
Welcome to the group and enjoy the bike. My service guy has a GV and they of corse test ride the bike at each service. He had mentioned the bike had a bit more zest than the GV when it was stock. He was amazed at the difference once they put in the new slider rollers.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 10:43:31 AM »
zombie, my uncle was killed in the coast guard years ago and before I went into the Army, I tried to enter the Coast Guard and it was closed/full and couldn't enlist. I was really hurt with that. Anyway his story which is quite long and remarkable I wish I could tell you about. I always had respect for the Coast Guard and even wear my Coast Guard hat often in honor of....

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 10:49:57 AM »
oldcoastie, good luck with your new ride. too bad you had the mirror problem, but you'll find you will very much enjoy the 300i in rides to come. I have this constant anxiety for the weather to get warmer here in PA and it is coming too slow. I started with the 200 which just wasn't enough for me. I was new and thought it was all I needed. It was great but just not strong enough for the hilly area I live in. I am 6'1", 245 and this 300 is right for what I do.

oldcoastie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 01:48:28 PM »
Zombie - there's a rubber boot covering the "angle"... am I looking for plastic? higher up? and yes, I did "pinch" the wires, but they seemed to recover after I loosened the mirror up a bit... hopefully, I did not do any damage.

Syl, I'm just a little bit of a woman and the DT REALLY goes like snot... I had to bring her back through the canyon last night (a 55mph road) and it was all I could do to keep her under 60mph.... she just wanted to run!

And, yes, I'm former CG.... spent my years in New England (MA and ME)... late 70's and 80'S...

oldcoastie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 06:59:30 PM »
Here's the glamor shot  :D

oldcoastie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 07:07:02 PM »
I just took a quiet putt around town this morning - trying to keep the speed down for awhile longer anyway...

Syl - I have a question on "our" trunks...( and it is making me feel like an idiot)... I know that the key must be inserted and turned horizontally to lock the case. I understand the mechanism inside must be lifted to hook onto the lid via the black plastic piece above the red "push me" button... but I'll be darned if I can get the case to lock...

I locked it at the dealer with supervision and I locked it last night at home, but I sure can't remember what the trick was...!

Tried to get in to tighten up the allen nut on the mirror stem but it's not allen and it is not torx...

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 07:37:44 PM »
oldcoastie...I had the same difficulty and finally figured it out!
1. With the case resting in down position to lock.
2. The key in upright unlock position.
3. Press down on the BLACK BAR above the RED BUTTON until it clicks in the down position.
4. Turn key to right to lock only after the BLACK BAR is pressed down and snaps down.
Hope that helps, I thought I had a reject had first too!

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 07:40:18 PM »
oldcoastie...forgot to add
1. With the case LID just resting in the down position in order to lock.

oldcoastie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 07:50:42 PM »
Thanks, Syl - went out and argued with it a bit more.... there are 2 steps to getting it locked (if you don't count having the key in the lock)... a push at the top of the black plastic thing and then a push at the bottom snaps the whole business into place...

Now if I can REMEMBER that next time go to use it!

awful fiddley for something so basic!

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 09:08:15 PM »
Good you have it settled. We look alike other than the side packs.

oldcoastie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 09:35:25 PM »
Syl - Did I read you were doing photography from your bike?

If so, how are you keeping your camera(s) from getting all jiggled up? my canon lives in a soft case and then in a fairly well padded holster  (and then under the seat but on top of a folded up towel) but I'm still worrying about vibrations...

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
I have several different cameras. I don't take the good ones out the way I take the Kodak Z981. If I take the Kodak, I merely place it in a water proof bag and than into a side bag. If I am concerned about vibration, I use a good case for my camera/s and place it in the Givi Case which I have a 1 inch foam bottom on. The inside straps in the Give are great to keep the bag tight onto the foam. Never had any problems with any of it. If you want an all around great camera to carry and not have a great deal of money..check out the Kodak Z990..it has all one wants for a all around box.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()