Author Topic: Reverse Mortgages: What do guys think?  (Read 4502 times)

YagerMySter

• View Profile
Reverse Mortgages: What do guys think?
« on: March 05, 2012, 03:58:02 PM »
I kept seeing the commercials and I just kept ignoring them like a swarm of bugs.

Then I guess my brain kept working on it.

Then I started thinking and researching it and it looks interesting.

What I do know is that I have to wait at least 11 years (I'm 51 years young).
I already own my home outright.
I'll need more money when I retire.
I don't plan to ever move.

What do you guys think about reverse mortgages.
I did it and I'm glad.

axy

• View Profile
Re: Reverse Mortgages: What do guys think?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 04:21:04 PM »
I kept seeing the commercials and I just kept ignoring them like a swarm of bugs.

Then I guess my brain kept working on it.

Then I started thinking and researching it and it looks interesting.

What I do know is that I have to wait at least 11 years (I'm 51 years young).
I already own my home outright.
I'll need more money when I retire.
I don't plan to ever move.

What do you guys think about reverse mortgages.

Would "reverse mortgage" be a pension paid monthly to home owner based on mortgage on his house/flat, that is being sold later by the bank/whoever is providing the "pension", after the owner dies?

We do not have that here, and I did not hear about it in EU either. The main reason is that banks in Europe are more heavily capitalized than in USA and there are strict regulations diving bank from non-bank investment sector. Banks do not like anything except highly liquid assets,so messing around with houses is the last thing they want to do.

However, this sounds good. There is a tradition in Europe of parents leaving house or flat as inheritance to sons and daughters.
We have a strange situation that old ladies are living alone in apartments that are 150+ m2, in one room, have monthly income of 300 US$, yet they do not want to leave their apartment and buy a smaller one etc. We also have a tradition of owning houses - almost 90 % of people in my country own their homes. The same is in Italy or Spain. Consequence is that workforce is not mobile, and usually you are born, work and die in the same place.

Depending on the amount of monthly cash flow derived from the equity, this could be a good idea, unless you want to leave it to your son or daughter.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 04:23:33 PM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 05:14:49 PM »
The origination fees on reverse mortgages are high, and only a percent of the value of the home qualifies for it - so they are in most cases an expensive loan.  They give you money for the equity in your home and you don't have to make payments - so if you live in the home for many years afterwards then it can be a good deal.  But it reduces your options.  If you have to move due to health or any other reason - then you screwed yourself.  You can leave some of the value of your home to your kids - but if they want the house then they won't get it.

I would consider it a last resort if I needed money - but that's just me.

2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 09:13:03 PM »
It depends on the exact terms and the smallprint. I have heard some elderly people who have "sold" to the company on the basis they can stay in the home as long as they live for free. One case involved an old lady who sold her home in her late 60's to a company who banked on her dying within 5-10 years. She was still living well into her 90's rent free so the company was screwed, they had no choice but to pay her every month. That is the good side.

The flipside is the stories of people receiving a lump sum for their home then paying a small minimal rent to continue living there as agreed befkrehand. Many, many complain the company is great for a few months then gradually increasea the rent and forces you out in the end so they can sell the house.

If i could get a good price for it, and be 100% sure i could live in the house til i die, and i had no kids to leave it to, then i may think about it. Otherwise i would downsize to maybe a small flat and sell the house.

These companies WILL be making money from you and i guess any loopholes, like the 90 yr old lady, will now be dealt with ao it cannot happen again. These guys just want profits and money, they dont care about you or where you live, they just want the house as cheap as possible.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 09:21:10 PM »
If i could get a good price for it, and be 100% sure i could live in the house til i die, and i had no kids to leave it to, then i may think about it. Otherwise i would downsize to maybe a small flat and sell the house.

Out of curiosity, for comparison, what is considered to be a "small flat" in USA, for elderly couple, in square meters (or feet, whatever)?
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

YagerMySter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 09:24:55 PM »
Out of curiosity, for comparison, what is considered to be a "small flat" in USA, for elderly couple, in square meters (or feet, whatever)?

My house is 1,232 square feet.  It's just big enough for me and my treasure :-)
I did it and I'm glad.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 10:08:24 PM »

I think a small flat/apartment in the US would be the same as in Europe Axy. I dont know tho since i live in Scotland. I have a 3 bedroom, 2 floor house with gardens and a garage, i have 2 kids but once they grow up and move out i think i could downsize easily to maybe a 1-2 bedrooms and no garden or just a small garden. But i am only just turned 40 so i have a while yet. If i have my way i intend selling up and moving to the Canary Islands once i retire, its too cold here  :D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

bilyum

• Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 11:48:38 PM »
I  compare it to wiping ones arse with a butcher knife,,,lose,, lose.Too much fine print (unreadable)
just saying~
Later
bilyum

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 02:11:22 AM »
Both sides of the coin. The one factor you CANNOT control w/ these is resale of your agreement. The same issue that collapsed the US housing market/economy. Reverse mortgages are the death throws of the brokers that developed the mortgage commodity market. This in time will to pass.
Take an equity loan, and invest... Citi Group will still go up (short term). Or even better yet Invest in the Asian markets. The US cannot compete anymore on a global scale. Even Govt. bonds in Taiwan are worth MORE than US savings bonds. (interest rate divided by money markets and you are secure)
Theres a lot of Yen in them thar woods!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

blitzjb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 01:50:19 PM »
Run!  Dont mess with your house.
2012 Kymco Super 8 150

SteveM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 02:13:53 PM »
Reverse mortgages are a bad investment. Your home is initially appraised and given a value. Over the years you receive a percentage of that value and in the end you don't own your home and die penniless leaving nothing for your family. Don't forget, that your home likely appreciates in value and that you do not receive any benefits from the increased value. You're still paid based on the original assessment. I'd never consider this BS scheme.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:25:45 PM by SteveM »

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 03:03:38 PM »
So you are implying that debonair actor and possible wife killer Robert Wagner is endorsing a financialy unsound product ? Shocking , simply shocking .

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 05:26:52 PM »
These banks will 'appraise' your house's value and go from there to the monthly payment you will receive. The problem is that over time the monthly payment is worth less and less as the cost of living goes up. It doesn't seem like much but 300 dollars a month now will be pretty much worthless when you really need it. Then the bank will re-sell your house to you at an 'adjustable rate' which typically is low to begin with but rises dramatically in a few years. These guys are sharks and will take every penny they can all with our fine governments' blessings. Remember who got bailed out first back in '08? AIG and by extension Goldman Sachs, the giant financial who was the direct former employer of then US Treasury secretary Hank Paulson.
Here is a fun little link that gives you an idea of what kind of criminals are running this country.
http://fedupusa.org/Ben%20and%20Hank%20Lies/Paulsons%20Lies.html

This 'recession' was contrived by George Bush and his cronies in the banking industry. You think they don't have new ways to take your money? Our banking system is laughably under-capitalized, meaning we don't have to have a dollar in the bank for them to loan out a dollar. We have to have 10 cents in there for them to legally loan out a dollar. Keep working and get more info about any reverse mortgage before you jump. Or just trust Robert Wagner.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 04:43:32 AM »
Run!  Dont mess with your house.

Anyone is welcome anytime...as long as you like Preas Canarios.x4
I haven't seen my landlord in years. There used to be some kids next door too. "Unsolved Mystery" is coming here to see what happened to them.
I don't think that episode will air... Just a guess

For the Animal lovers out there... They are BORN as you see. No cropping
Look them up.     My babies!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 04:46:21 AM »
So you are implying that debonair actor and possible wife killer Robert Wagner is endorsing a financialy unsound product ? Shocking , simply shocking .

OOOOOOOOOOO! I'm telling uncle Bobby on you. You all know what he is capable of........... BOBBY!!!!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()