Author Topic: Sales trying to talk me into a 500!  (Read 2502 times)

Syl

• View Profile
Sales trying to talk me into a 500!
« on: March 07, 2012, 11:08:18 PM »
I should have my head examined even talking about up-grading. I only have 1700 miles on my 300i, 2011 and the base price was 5,500 while the 500 without ABS is priced at 6,295. Those prices are without all the extra add ons...Tax, Shp etc. Would be nice to have for two reasons....ride anywhere and two up if want or need be. Has anyone make such an upgrade and what is your gained knowledge of this. I went from the Peoples S200 to the 300 and now...again...just talking and not thinking too hard!

oldcoastie

• View Profile
Re: Sales trying to talk me into a 500!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 12:19:01 AM »
I understand your dilemma, Syl... I only had my Grand Vista for a year and thought I should have MY head examined for the upgrade for an extra 50cc's... but I wanted the bigger wheels for the freeway and the fuel injection for the mountains and altitude. The power of the 250 was actually very adequate.

What I didn't want was too much extra weight and the DT is very satisfactory on that account. I was looking at a Silverwing but it is a beast in terms of weight and I wanted something light enough that I could make my grocery store runs without having to eat my Wheaties first (and feeling like it was manageable when I'm tired, cold and hungry) .

The Xciting is going to be much heavier and you have to decide if you want to be wrestling that extra weight around for your everyday tasks. If it were my decision, I would also think about the engine in the Downtown is the same as the People 300 and parts availability in the future may be a bit better.

But you are right - the Xciting would probably be much more adequate for 2 up riding. Will the dealer let you take an extended test ride?

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 03:07:17 AM »
As an owner of an XC500, I can attest that the weight is really a non issue. Once you start riding a heavier bike, you gain a sense of comfort and would not go back. When I first got my bike, I bought it sight unseen through Ebay and really had no idea what I was getting. When I did receive it from the shipper, I had a hellacious time moving it about. That thing was friggin' heavy! Now, I do not feel the weight both riding and moving it about in the garage. honestly, I could almost go for a bigger bike!  In the end, we all get comfortable with our rides and then think we shoulda gone for a larger unit. Perfectly normal. If you can afford it, what the heck. You only live once. BTW, the new BMW looks like a nice powerful bike with 600cc's. Kind of reminds me of an updated XC500.
Simon
2009 Kymco Xciting Ri With no mods.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 08:44:10 AM »
The "dealer" does not have any in as yet, would take two weeks to order. I am hearing the bit about the pro's and con's on the weight and me with a bad left knee will have to take on a concern about the increase. I can understand the mention of getting used to the weight but in weighing both comments, at this point I am hesitating and going to do a lot of thinking. Money is a factor as much as I try to over-look that being we never get a honest price on a trade-in even if it is like new. I am to receive a call today with figures but above gives my thoughts so far...thanks

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 11:35:53 AM »
I would be Leary of it. I have been following the DT300 sense it was released in Australia 3 years ago. I have heard of no real problems with them. I was following the 500 at the same time and with the problems people were talking about I told the local dealer that I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole. He was trying to sell me one he was trying to unload. We will see after my trip this summer if my idea of the reliability of the DT300 has changed.   
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 01:29:41 PM »
You know...Urbestfriend has a Grandvista and an Xciting 250.  The Grandvista is a nice
ride particularly since I added the Captains Seat.  It's lower,  but more squirrley because of the smaller wheels.   The Xciting is indeed heavier.  I'm not young anymore,  so I have to be real
careful.  Yes the ride is better and more like driving a truck.  Both have their place.  I am totally
happy with 250 cc,  although I'd go for 300 before 500.  As for 2 up.  The locals  (DUI's) ride
50's all over 2 up and one extra doesn't seem to slow them down.

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 02:58:27 PM »
The additional weight/power when riding above 20mph is good.

Sit on the bike and try pushing it around.  The critical part is inseam and any leg injuries.

IMO, the dealers are trying to get rid (incentives) of the 500's.
2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 03:58:46 PM »
You can move your feet around much more on an X500 than on the 300. This may relieve your knee on longer rides. All the weight is quite low on the X500. Engine, trans, gas tank etc. It is much more easy to move around than a top heavy motorcycle, I will never go back to a M/C. For the extra $700. I would go the X500 route unless you want the extra 20MPG? :-*

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 12:04:20 PM »
After reading all thoughts, I believe I want to stay with the 20 mpg more option. My thinking now is, I don't do any long distance driving so the comfort idea loses! I am now looking at all the gas prices and it is something to consider big time. In later years from now, if I were to sell this unit, I personally feel the better fuel option would sell faster than power. Than again, that is just my thought now after making a decision after reading the input on here......thanks. This summer I will  be using the scooter for most everthing I can. When I hear that people in England pay approximately $12.00 a gallon, that is scary.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()