Author Topic: 2007 People 50 2T Power lose....  (Read 3738 times)

markscarb

• View Profile
2007 People 50 2T Power lose....
« on: March 07, 2012, 11:41:28 PM »
I experienced a 50% power lose while riding this morning. I have had a hard time starting it in the morning for a couple of months, especially when wet, damp or cold, but once running it ran fine. It now barely has the power to take off and can only reach max speed of about 20MPH??? Has anyone any ideas??

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
Re: 2007 People 50 2T Power lose....
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 05:06:31 AM »
Open up that cvt and look inside...
Rollers?
Belt?
Dirty?
HAs the carb been cleaned lately?
Air filter checked?
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 05:33:19 AM »
Hard starting when wet, damp, or cold is typical

What's the engine sound like at 20 mph? Really high revs or low revs?
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 05:48:25 AM »
All the basics... New plug/fuel, air filters/compression test (above 120 will run under no run). Post your results/findings for others.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

markscarb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 01:41:09 PM »
Open up that cvt and look inside...
Rollers?
Belt?
Dirty?
HAs the carb been cleaned lately?
Air filter checked?
Sorry, what is the CVT? I have replaced the spark plug and filter is ok. I ride the scooter everyday. Like I said in the post, one morning power went down 50%. Still riding, but now top speed is about 15-18mph and it barely takes off from stop. I really don't have the money to take it to a shop and not mechanically inclined enough to take the carb off. Thanks.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 04:05:24 PM »
..check your tire pressure...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 05:37:50 PM »
It is hard to diagnose whats wrong with it over the forum. We can sit here and tell you a hundred different things to check. Give us more description.

Does the engine sound like its working really hard or does it sound loud like its a weed eater?

Details details details. If a picture tells a thousand words a video tells a million. Make a short video if you feel comfortable riding with one hand. Also make a video of it just idling on the main stand and then rev the engine a little. It's easy to start a Youtube account and post the links here.

Even with a video we still might not know the cause of the problem. I have a feeling it would be a huge help though :)
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 05:40:16 PM »
BTW... The CVT is the transmission. Don't let that scare you, all it is is basically two pulleys and a belt. Very, very simple.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

markscarb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 10:14:50 PM »
It is hard to diagnose whats wrong with it over the forum. We can sit here and tell you a hundred different things to check. Give us more description.

Does the engine sound like its working really hard or does it sound loud like its a weed eater?

Details details details. If a picture tells a thousand words a video tells a million. Make a short video if you feel comfortable riding with one hand. Also make a video of it just idling on the main stand and then rev the engine a little. It's easy to start a Youtube account and post the links here.

Even with a video we still might not know the cause of the problem. I have a feeling it would be a huge help though :)

It is much quieter than before the power loss. I am still riding it about 3 miles a day and top speed is 18-21MPH. Between the start of acceleration and full speed it seems to miss and sputter some. Very slow to accelerate, almost have to push off with my foot to help it get going. It seems almost as if it is starving for fuel, maybe getting 1/2 or less the fuel than it needs. Also, it may have more white smoke than normal. And thanks for all the help, I really appreciate this!

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 02:03:12 AM »
I think you're on the right track with the fuel theory. What does the plug look like? Grey, brown or black?

I'd clean the carb asap. You're possibly running very lean. Lean is bad. Definitely sounds like a fuel problem. Don't rule out lack of compression or ignition yet though.

Just a thought, is the plug wire all the way on the spark plug?(it has happened to me) Also make sure the plug wire is not arcing to ground somewhere.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 03:51:31 AM »
Check the auto choke. It sounds like its flooding. If it "pops" thru the exhaust it is lean. If it spits thru the carb. it is rich/flooding.
You can pull out the choke cold, and mark the needle. Plug it straight to the battery and note the change. It should move approx 5mm. It takes a few minutes to test it.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 04:11:20 AM »
zombie knows best :)

F that auto choke. axy says it's for girls :D :D :D. I think it's for him.

I say if you can't operate a manual choke you have no business on two wheels ;D
*2001 ZX-50 beater

markscarb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 09:09:40 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks to you and all the guys for the prompt and informative replies. Get this, I was about to take it to the repair shop tomm but noticed oil on the tip of my muffler. When I examined it closer, it appeared the muffler tip was clogged. I inserted a small screwdriver, cleared out the tip and as far in as I could go. It was clogged with what appeared to be like thick charcoal. Fired it up and....well it has more power than before! Seems to be running great. Any ideas? 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 11:12:23 PM »
Buy better 2t oil. Yours is leaving carbon that fouls everything. Your muffler also needs to be replaced, or "burned" out. It will be packed solid inside. Burning out is old school, and VERY dangerous. You basically start the carbon burning, and support the burn with pure oxygen. An old school mechanic can do it in twenty minutes. Or... Just get another OEM pipe so you don't have to mess with it.

markscarb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 10:15:35 PM »
I'm using FUCHS Silkolene Super 2 Injector Semi-Synthetic Oil. Any suggestions?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()