Author Topic: How to properly size a helmet for my head?  (Read 2724 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
How to properly size a helmet for my head?
« on: March 08, 2012, 10:01:15 PM »
I've got a hand me down helmet from my God son, the tag insode says (S) for small I presume. The helmet fits fine, a little tight if I wear a full face hat in winter but under normal conditions I think it's just fine fit wise.

Is there something I sould look for with the fit so I get a better fit?

I'm thinnking of ordering a new "transformer" helmet online and I've only seen number sizes not S, M, & L. Any ideas suggestions on what or how to order?
Any comments on the "Transformer" style helmet(s)?

Read more: http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=47751#ixzz1oZ5EbfAW
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

blue

• View Profile
Re: How to properly size a helmet for my head?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 10:24:53 PM »
it should fit some what tight dont what it moveing around to much but if you use the same helmit in the winter safe room for a lose hat .

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 11:14:36 PM »
The helmet should fit snug and should not move around on your head.
With that said, what may seem fine at first, may be too tight and give you a head ache later.
My concern with hand-me-down helmets is that they could be compromised.
If the helmet looks like it has been dropped or has scrapes and scratched, it is time for a new helmet.
I usually replace my helmet every 4-5 years.  Even if it is still structurally sound, it is getting ratty and a little stinky by then.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »
You really left me no choice.
Welcome to the Forum...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 12:33:10 AM »

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 08:55:38 PM »
I'm gonna drop by a store and fit my head. The helmet I have now is just for me to practice with my bike (no lic yet). Once spring comes I'll get the lic., don't think it'll be a problem. But I need a full face or at least face protection for the test. The one I now have will be a spare for when I go 2 up if ever.

Thanks for the replies and links.  And also the Welcome.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:10:09 PM by 08087 »
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Oldie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 04:08:53 PM »
It should noted that different manufacture sizes run different!  Try to try on the helmet you want to buy!
Thanks,  ED
Silver Bullet- 2011 Downtown 300i

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 04:50:27 PM »
A hand me down helmet is a bad idea for anything more than a halloween costume.  The foam in helmets degrades whether they are used or not, but especially if they are used.  Just like a leather jacket - they always change their shape a little to break in to the wearer.  Unlike a leather jacket - a helmet that has loose spots is dangerous.

The helmet should fit slightly snug.  If you put it onto your head it shouldn't hurt - but without the strap it shouldn't wiggle if you shake your head. 
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 06:48:34 PM »
I just returned a helmet that fit pretty tight but I thought it was ok.  I kept it on while working on the puter.  After an hour I started to feel the pressure on my cheeks and ears, it was a Med.  Then I read that if, when pushing the helmet in to your face, it should not touch your nose or your chin.  It makes sense that in a collision where you get hit in the face, that's going to do some damage.  It did touch my nose and chin.  So with the pressure on my cheeks and ears and touching my nose and chin, back it went. I am waiting for a Large replacement.  I hope this helps.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()