Author Topic: The speedometer was invented by the Croatian Josip BeluÅ¡ić in 1888  (Read 3318 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Oh no...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

axy

• View Profile
Oh no...

Some other things were also invented here, like writing pen, dural aluminum, a necktie, air ships ("zeppelins"), or even - a parachute.
Also a lot of "intangible" science principles, like double entry bookkeeping (accounting) and entire forensic science.
Also, fingerprinting technique.

The company I work for is renting working space in the factory where torpedo was invented and first made 150 years ago.
This company is called - "Torpedo". :)
It is 2 kms away from the place where I sit now.

Yet, you never hear about those things, which is a destiny of small nations...
I hope that at least people abroad know about Nikola Tesla.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:49:32 AM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

juice

• View Profile
I salute you Croatia .

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
A.P. Warner invented the magnetic speedometer in this country early in the 20th century as well as the electric trailer brake shortly thereafter. The chronometric speedo may have been the Croatian device and may have predated the magnetic device.

Looks like Josip predated A. P. Warner by a few years according to Wikipedia and for the exact same device in principle!

Karl
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 06:23:20 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Frank T

• View Profile
Some other things were also invented here, like writing pen, dural aluminum, a necktie, air ships ("zeppelins"), or even - a parachute.
Also a lot of "intangible" science principles, like double entry bookkeeping (accounting) and entire forensic science.

The company I work for is renting working space in the factory where torpedo was invented and first made 150 years ago.

What is so surprising about this kind of news? Our USA is made up of folks from all the country's of the world.
Our gene pool was very rich indeed.......for a while.

2009 Stella 2T
2003 Bet & Win
2011 Homemade 66cc 2T

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile

I reapeat... Oh no!    Testing my Croatin... BLAH BLAH BLAH>  No YOU are WRONG! I forgot the last one... Oh Yeah FACT FACT FACT.How'd I dew?!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
Really SORRY BRO!... I tried fishing for Jpres. But he won't bite! Just nibbles, steals the bait, and swims away!
I need 911

axy

• View Profile
Average age of cars in USA: 11 years 1 month

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/automobiles/as-cars-are-kept-longer-200000-is-new-100000.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

Over here: 10 years 3 months

People always loved their cars here. :)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
Here I sit broken hearted,
came to s##t and only farted.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

axy

• View Profile
Here I sit broken hearted,
came to s##t and only farted.

So, no lunch for you today.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
Oh, you forgot a coulple of things zombie

I'm better than you and here's a link to an absolutely useless statistic
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
You are killing me Peters...
Hey Axy, I just saw that "Man Woman Wild" tv show. They were stranded in a mountainous region of Croatia. When they found their way down they wound up on a river valley, and were "rescued" by some local cave dwellers. BEAUTIFUL country. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL. At one point I saw something fall from a tree... It looked like a Kymco Manual. I thought you were on the coast...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
..i invented the "forced air induction"..AANNND the lift kit that Naraku now sells..in 2 different lenghts........
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
Rocket surgery!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
...absolutely!!..want one??!!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()