Poll

Any recommendations for best synthetic motor oil and transmission fluid to use?

Synthetic motor oil
6 (85.7%)
Transmission fluid
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: recommended oils/fluids for 2009 Kymco Super 8 150cc  (Read 3379 times)

andrito

• View Profile
recommended oils/fluids for 2009 Kymco Super 8 150cc
« on: March 14, 2009, 03:11:12 PM »
Does anyone have a recommendation for the best synthetic motor oil and transmission fluid that I should use in my new motor scooter?

OldGuy

• View Profile
Re: recommended oils/fluids for 2009 Kymco Super 8 150cc
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 07:05:41 PM »
I selected synthetic with some trepidation. One of the reasons I say this is that "consumers using, or interested in using, synthetic oil should be aware that the American Petroleum Institution has to date given no definition of the word ‘synthetic’ and that the National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus has defined synthetic oil as a marketing term to be described and classified for the benefit of consumers by the company marketing the product."

Complete article here:

http://www.articlesbase.com/home-improvement-articles/using-synthetic-oil-as-a-substitute-for-petroleum-or-lubrication-oil-302000.html

For yet more information see here:

http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/castrolmobilandpao.htm

I was very disappointed to learn that my former preferred cage oil (Castrol) has fallen prey to the bean counters.

The second reason I worry about recommending synthetics is that if you use them before break-in is complete the parts may never wear in properly because synthetics work so well at reducing friction. A reason related to the same worry is that some seals expect a petrolem based product and in its absence fail to soften and swell. I have found this to be true when using synthetic brake fluid.
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: recommended oils/fluids for 2009 Kymco Super 8 150cc
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 02:38:52 AM »
the oils i have always used are golden spectro two cycle, and napa full synth. gear lube. Old Guy is right, there is more marketing than concern for a quality product, but i have been using these two oils for 25 plus years and have NEVER had a faliure that could be related to either. I do not like bad advice, and I do like passing along info that has been reliable to me. a good product cannot be found by claims on the label only in real world results. they work for me.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()