Author Topic: Rear pulley question  (Read 4269 times)

bmcafee

• View Profile
Rear pulley question
« on: March 13, 2012, 12:48:25 AM »
I am having issues with my scoot at about 31mph it is like the belt has slack and is slapping around in there it makes brr sound and then slows a bit from the friction and I cant get it to fight through it. I assumed the belt stretched and that was the underlying issue but when I ordered a new one and took off the old one they are the same size. I then was examining the cluch/pulley in the back and realized it is not working properly I am wondering if the issue that I have is stemming from this pulley not opening and closing properly it kinda sticks and the little seal rings that are on the center seem to have failed at some point. I am thinking of just replacing it and hoping that it will fix it. Have any of y'all had anything similar happen with your scoots and does this make sense?
Thanks Y'all
Brian.

blue

• View Profile
Re: Rear pulley question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 02:32:54 AM »
I also have been haveing the same problem but go to find out mine was just to get bigger rollers to copesate for the vareator wearing down. my clutch is working ok I took just the clutch in to a shop and they said its just fine should get a another year or so out of it. so just for me to know everything is new im going to order the whole clutch kit . you get the clutch and rollers and the vareator all at the same time that way I well know its all good.just need to safe some coin for this.  good luck with your scoot .take your clutch in to a shope and have theam look at it. it might be better you also to get the whole kit my scoots a 07 and stell stock parts so its just time to repair things wear out.

bmcafee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 02:25:42 PM »
I also feel that my clutch is still good, my issue is with the rear pully on the other side of the spring than the clutch where it slided in and out at sort of an angle to cause the pulley to open and close letting the belt ride differently. I think that is the culprit. I think I will try to order another pulley and variator aswell to be sure. what would you guys say is the best variator on the market with out breaking the bank too baddly. trying to keep it at 100 or under.
Thanks again Y'all,
Brian.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 10:04:42 PM »
monsterscooterparts.com as some but there a little over 100.00 not going to find much cheaper.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 11:41:15 PM »
I had a torsion controller go bad, and it is as you described. Once it gets to the part where it hangs up it will "stick" the belt, and try to double it over on itself. This could lead to a rear wheel lock up... Replace the torque drive. I would stay OEM on this part. The after market cheapo's are just that CHEAP!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 02:26:27 AM »
x2 oem parts are better all around if your bocket book well let you.or if you have a budget controler in the house lol.

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 07:45:37 PM »
My rear pulley got stuck as well a few years ago.

I just took it apart, put some grease in the torquedriver (not too much, the seals couldn't keep it inside) and it has been fine ever since.

(I also put a little (!) extra grease in the space between the bearings every thousand miles or so. There's a small hole between that space and the torquedriver, the place where the grease eventually has to do its job, so you don't have to disassemble the whole unit every time..)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 07:48:14 PM by mono »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 07:50:03 PM »
I would stay OEM on this part. The after market cheapo's are just that CHEAP!

..there are also some that have a restrictive hump at the i.d. of the pulleys...like the one in the top pic...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

bmcafee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 10:21:16 PM »
thanks a TON guys this is the conformatinon that I was looking for. Parts ordered and will be in on tuesday, now to order the variator. Thanks again y'all are the best.

bmcafee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 06:20:32 PM »
Well I'm at a loss for what to do. I replaced the rear pully, variator, belt, and boss to all new parts. It is still doing the binding thing it like bbrrrrr and decererates, I have no clue what to do next. I had in the new parts and with the heavier weights "9 gram" weights it wasnt as back but acceleration was less that satifactory and still unable to ride practically with it binding. So I put in 7 gram weights I had in old varitor and it was WAY worst. It isn't even ridable at this point. FML. If anyone has any idea I would love to hear. thanks for the read guys. 
B.

REDKYMCO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 06:33:52 PM »
I wonder if this could be a transmission/gear problem have you checked the oil in there lately.....
IF IT IS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT:)

bmcafee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 08:39:44 PM »
Kisbee, I just had the bottom of the motor and cam replaced last fall, parts were looked at and gear oil replaced. I know the problem is much worst with the 7gr weights than with the 9gr with the 9gr I can baby it up to 32mph.. when runnin good it can hit 48. The problem originally came up when I would go from slowing down to getting back on the throttle too quickly, but for a while it had been happening with regular acceleration.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 12:03:25 AM »
The problem could be starting in the Var. If the var cant close the torque drive cant open. There are two bosses that fit your scoot. You need the 28mm  one. The 32mm will stop the var before it closes as the ramp runs out before top gear. Try measuring the boss.
What crank did you install (part #). Some aftermarket cranks have a longer shaft that will move the face away too.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 04:05:24 AM »
..the oem boss length is 38mm..

..that should work well with any variator setup, except that 7 gram rollers is likeely to bog your scoot down, unless you have some serious air increases,,,

...try some 5grms...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

bmcafee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 06:52:39 PM »
dont have the part number on the crank, ordered it from a company that sold it as oem. with the weights im thinking about going bigger not smaller. even with 9 grams im flying off the line and up to 40 "speedo" in no time. I noticed with the heavier wieghts that the problem occered much latter and less frequently, but once the scooter warms up the problem becomes more frequent again. so as far as weights go no where but up. Im thinking about putting in the white tortion spring in to see if that helps but still unsure.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()