Author Topic: SOS! What did I do to my Kymco?  (Read 3641 times)

stejospot

• View Profile
SOS! What did I do to my Kymco?
« on: March 13, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
The engine on my Espresso (australian People) 150 won't start!

Here's the story.

I was replacing the lamps in my turn signals. The new bulbs were a different size, but I made sure they were still the appropriate amp rating. So I begin by taking both lamps out of their sockets, which involved taking the whole front grille panel off. After disconnecting both, I started with the left bulb. I tested it out to make sure the connection was good before I secured the entire socket back in. Success... the signal is going double fast because the right bulb is not hooked up yet.

Then for some reason I get the impulse to turn the right signal on without the bulb in, and that's when things started going downhill. There was a weird humming sound for a few seconds, and then nothing. When I went back to the left turn signal, it was no longer blinking - it just stayed on, like a running light. Weird, I thought. So I turned the bike off and went to work connecting the right lamp. When that was finished, I went to start up the bike and.... nothing. No sound, just like a dead battery. But the battery is, without a doubt, fully charged.

Does anybody have any idea what I did to my bike? Did I knock something lose taking it all apart? Did I blow a fuse? I couldn't even find any... not the kind that I know, at least.

If anybody has any suggestions or solutions,  I would be extremely appreciative!
Stejospot
2009 Espresso 150

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: SOS! What did I do to my Kymco?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 11:31:02 PM »
My impression is the bulbs shorted out the regulator or stator. The fast blinking ONLY happens when the rear bulb is out/bad. There will be NO blinking if the front is out. I think you used the wrong fitment bulb. Some ground thru the metal base, and others ground thru one of the pins on the bottom. I THINK you directly grounded the +12 volt side. Use the manual, and a multi meter to verify.
BEFORE any testing remove those bulbs.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

stejospot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 03:14:28 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Zombie

So let me get this straight: the fast blinking left front bulb had nothing to do with the fact that there was no bulb in the front right socket, but rather something faulty with the back left bulb? I have a hard time grasping this, because when I was testing the left turn signal with the new bulb, both the front and back were blinking simultaneously, but fast.

I trotted out to the garage and took some pics in the unlikely event that it might shed some more light in the matter...

Here is the original turn signal socket and bulb, along with the two original wires. Seems like all standard 12V stuff.

Here is the new bulb/fitting, with the two open ends.

Nothing fancy for this layman... just electrical-taped the two wires together and away we go.

On the left is the package for one of the two sockets... on the right is the bulb pair packaging.

Based on these pictures, is it easier to tell whether the short (if it was one) was caused by either a)the wrong socket/bulb or b) faulty grounding? It would be nice to know where to start.

And if the regulator/starter was indeed shorted, is this going to require some kind of repair/replacement of either one of them, or is there an easier solution to get the engine turning again. To be honest, even if I had one, I wouldn't even know where to begin with a multimeter...
Stejospot
2009 Espresso 150

warmitup

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 12:57:11 PM »
I was looking at the turn signal bulbs yesterday. When I put one back in, I bent a metal tab in and it shorted. When I got home, shut bike off. When trying to start, showed same results as you said, like a dead battery. Mine has 2- 7amp fuses next to the battery. One was blown. Replaced fuse and all is fine.

Hope this helps!

Chris
2009 Kymco Agility 125

stejospot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 01:10:18 PM »
Thanks Chris,

I can't seem to find those fuses you speak of. When you say next to the battery, you're talking about the one back by the exhaust pipe, right?
Stejospot
2009 Espresso 150

warmitup

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 04:06:41 PM »
Having different models of scooters, the battery must be in a different location. Mine is in the floor board. But the 2 inline fuse holders are situated in the same compartment as the battery. Guess I'm not much help with yours....
2009 Kymco Agility 125

stejospot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 05:35:08 PM »
Thanks for trying to help anyways.  :)
Stejospot
2009 Espresso 150

stejospot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 06:46:09 PM »
I've decided I am going to try and switch the fuse out. Zombie do you know where this is located?
Stejospot
2009 Espresso 150

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 10:11:39 PM »
The fuses for a People 150 are located in the front glove box.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 12:44:28 AM »
I think these guys have you covered with the fuses. Your Picts. didn't post tho!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

stejospot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 02:32:48 PM »
It worked!

Thanks so much for all your help, guys.
Stejospot
2009 Espresso 150

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 09:59:54 PM »
Good Deal. Always check the fuses first.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 10:38:32 PM »
Good to hear. How did you make out with the blinkers?

stejospot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 02:42:29 PM »
Well, after discovering that it was only a fuse that blew, I went ahead and made some questionable decisions...

Basically, I took the exact same new bulbs and sockets, made sure to completely install them both, and tried them out.

They seem to be in full working order. I say "seem" because, I feel like they might be blinking a bit fast. Not quite as fast as before, but faster than what I remember to be regular. I guess I don't truly remember how fast regular was. I shot a quick video to see what you guys think. Is it too fast? Should this be a red flag?

Stejospot
2009 Espresso 150

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 11:47:23 PM »
They do seem a tiny fast. That is showing they are drawing more current than OEM. Just a few amps is enough to cause more trouble. I would search out the OEM number.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()