Author Topic: Fuse Giving Out 5 times a day  (Read 723 times)

Silverwoodsam

• View Profile
Fuse Giving Out 5 times a day
« on: March 14, 2012, 02:27:37 PM »
So I've been replacing my fuse alot lately. I did a little experiment. When I accelerate slowly the fuse doesn't give out while I'm riding. I can tell when it goes out because the fuel reader dies and lowers to empty when the fuse gives out. I made it a good two miles going slow then I pulled the throttle back about half way and the fuse gave out again.

This is my problem. Thank you so much for reading!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Fuse Giving Out 5 times a day
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 04:10:16 PM »
..the fuse that is blowing protects the wiring and components to your fuel meter, signal lamp relay, horn and horn switch, as well as your left and right "Stop" switches, which cause the brakelamp to burn  bright when you squeeze a brake lever. There is a short to ground in one of these components or their wiring.

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Silverwoodsam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 04:46:39 PM »
It's the turn signal. I do not know how to test this but the turn signal has caused the fuse to blow many times.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 06:59:08 PM »
..the black wire originates at your fuse holder, where it goes up behind the front cowling to a 6-pin connector, and to your flasher relay as well..

..you will need a multi-meter capable of reading resistance (ohms)..

..disconnect the 6-pin connector, and read from the black wire to any metal (un-painted) surface...

..if you find continuity on either side of the connector's black wire, to "ground", then that narrows down the process of elimination..

..you might have a difficult time fonding a shorted wire, as it might take the vibration of riding to cause it to arc..

..but you can trace the wiring and look for rubbed insulation, which is a likely culprit...

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 07:30:45 PM »

Although I'm a professional in electronics, I wouldn't even bother checking with an ohmmeter first.

I would expect to easily find some visibly damaged insulation at a place where the wire harness is crossing a sharp edge, is clamped tight to something, or near moving parts, like between handlebar and frame...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 07:47:01 PM »
Although I'm a professional in electronics, I wouldn't even bother checking with an ohmmeter first

..true..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()