Author Topic: GPS Mount on Yager  (Read 1242 times)

fshfindr

• View Profile
GPS Mount on Yager
« on: March 14, 2012, 03:14:10 PM »
Hi guys, I'm looking for the best way to mount my Garmin Nuvi 250W on my Yager.  I did a search which led me in diff. directions.  I saw the mount that attached at the base of the mirror, and right know that is my current choice.  I have the suction base with a ball on but it won't stick on the bike.  If I knew what was under the plastic covering the handlebar, I could drill a hole or two and mount it there.  I know some of you have installed the nuvi on your scoot.  Now I'd like to get into your brains for some advise on what works best for you.

Richard L.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 07:26:41 PM by fshfindr »
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
Re: GPS Mount on Yager
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 04:28:10 PM »
I know most people prefer to use RAM mounts, however I was on the cheap and also preferred a location off of the handlebars on my XC500. Yes, I did screw the base of the GPS onto the plastic fairing. I also cross drilled a hole through the pivot point of the GPS mount to a position where I would not change it. This allowed me to install a nut and bolt to keep the GPS from moving about from vibrations. All hardware used is stainless steel. (I had a spare mount to use for drilling that was not being used otherwise) I also hardwired the GPS to come on with the ignition and shut off when the bike is turned off. You will have to order a hardwire kit to go with your GPS.

Simon
2009 Kymco Xciting Ri With no mods.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 05:36:46 PM »
Yeah, yours looks great, maybe a little low where you may have to change your focus, but I’m sure it works well.  Neat scoot.  I ordered the stem that attaches to the mirror base.  Without removing the plastic, I was afraid to drill anywhere.  Thinking about it know, I could have removed the plastic on the handlebar and maybe drilled into it.  Four screws hold it on.  Hopefully, the stem will be just as good as yours.  I am concerned about vibration.   I just joined a meetup group so I will need the GPS to ride with them.

Thanks for the reply,
Richard L.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 05:38:44 PM by fshfindr »
Richard L. in Bellmawr

unclelar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
I just got a mirror mount on Amazon for $18.00 and it works great, only problem , hard to see screen in sunlight
unclelar

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 04:52:54 PM »
Yes, I now have the Ram mount and I really like it.  But I have the same problem with sunlight.  I have seen some with cardboard shades built around it.  That really looks like Hell.  I hope someone here has a better idea. Maybe a coating or something like that that works.  I did get one good idea from a club member, I haven't tried it yet but matching your cell phone blue tooth earpiece to the GPS should allow you to hear the GPS.  

Richard L.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:51:55 PM by fshfindr »
Richard L. in Bellmawr

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 08:24:25 PM »
I have a ram mount on the right brake fluid container on my DT300i. I can move it to keep a view of it in the sun and can hear it when running.

Sorry I don't have a closer picture.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()