Author Topic: Wouldn't start until...  (Read 2607 times)

Syl

• View Profile
Wouldn't start until...
« on: March 15, 2012, 07:53:32 AM »
Yesterday in the 60's and had taken the 300i to work. Prior to going, rode around locally for about an hour. Parked at work on the center stand, sat for several hours. Went to start and it just turned over and nothing. Turned it over 4 times and finally after concern to try something, opened the throttle a bit and it kicked over right away. Never had a hard start before to do this therefore am questioning what happened here? Would it mean that the idle has to be set up more or.....  Appreciate advise or thought's.

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
Re: Wouldn't start until...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 10:51:01 AM »
With wide temperature variations as these sit vapor lock seems to occur. The trick then is to use the flood procedure.........

ScooterNoob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 12:12:22 PM »
what is the Flood Procedure? I have the same issue. It is really annoying. I thought maybe I had water in my gas lines so I put in a small bottle of STP gas treatment. It has helped a little but sometimes still gives a hard start.

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 12:51:39 PM »
Turn the bike on and hold the throttle wide open. Crank it over for three seconds while holding the throttle then shut the ignition off. Turn the ignition back on and start as normal. If it does not start shut it off and repeat the flood procedure. haven't had it take more than three flood procedures to clear it and usually the first one does.

The time it took three times it was 45F in the morning and went to visit family, went out in the afternoon and it was 95F in the shade. The bike was not sitting in the shade so it was HOT...........
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 12:56:07 PM by TANWare »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 11:38:28 PM »
Since the scoot sat for some time I would add 2oz. Sea Foam to a full tank. This will clear out any varnish/oxidation inside the fuel system. You should be fine after the tank has run thru.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 07:54:15 AM »
This difficulty starting was a rare situation. The scooter was run in the garage maybe every 2 weeks or so through the cold weather and on nice days out for a run. The unit started on first try every time and even when shut off at times at places while doing things, it kicked over right away. This difficulty in starting was carried on the same way and it didn't turn over 3-4 times until holding the pedal down so to speak and it kicked right over. Seemingly, it acted totally as though it didn't receive any fuel again, until I throttled just a bit. Ok, would this possibly have anything to do with the idle set too lean now after so many miles...1800 and if the idle were set up a bit, would it be possibly some of the trouble at low speeds.... 11 mph or slower, going around corners and such when the engine seems to lose idle and this jumping to throttle up occurs. I do recall all said on earlier posts about this situation but would any of my layman thoughts have anything to do? It was brought up once on how to increase idle but aging here, I forgot what they suggested. I know I can run to service but experience show's paying too much for any little thing is a bad experience. Thanks

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 10:42:40 AM »
The 300 is fuel injected so controlled by a computer. It is not an easy job to adjust idle. I would go with the sea foam suggestion first and see how it works. Could also be a batch of bad fuel. Something else to try.
TPS/ISC RESET PROCEDURE

1. Put the side stand up and engine stop switch is at “RUN”.

2. Turn the key to the "OFF" position.

3. Fully open the throttle.

4. Turn the key to the "ON" position.

5. Release the throttle after waiting for eight seconds.

6. Turn the key to the "OFF" position.

7. Turn the key to the "ON" position.

8. TPS and ISC have been reset successfully.

If the procedure fails, repeat the steps from 1 to 8.

08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()