Author Topic: Dink 50 (Bet and Win?) doesn't pull when warm  (Read 2620 times)

FinInGermany

• View Profile
Dink 50 (Bet and Win?) doesn't pull when warm
« on: March 17, 2009, 10:06:31 AM »
Hi Guys.
First off, I'm new here, and don't know whether I've posted this in the right part of the forum (couldn't find "Dink 50" in the list  ;))
So now to my problem. Bought the above 5-year-old scoot - also known as Bet and Win 50 - last year with about 25000 Km on the clock. It ran OK for a while, but just before I put it to bed for the winter, it started having occasional problems pulling from rest, especially once the engine had warmed up.
Since we had a bunch of snow here this winter, I didn't drive it for about 3 or 4 months. Once the snow disappeared about 2 weeks ago, I charged the battery and it started on the first turn of the key. "Yeeeehaaaaa!!!" thought I, "that's the way it should be." I kept thinking that way until I had to stop at lights and then tried to pull off when I had green, and discovered that I wasn't going anywhere, as the revs wouldn't pick up. After about 10 -20 seconds of lightly opening and closing the throttle, it eventually played ball and off I went. Stopped at the next set of lights and immediately had the same problem.
So much for the story, now I'll summarise it to make things clear.
Engine cold: starts and pulls away no problem.
Engine warm: reluctant to pull from stop. Once running, drives OK.
Exception: put it up on the main stand (= no load on back wheel) and the revs pick up as normal. Put it on the ground, or apply the back brake, won't rev up.
What I've tried so far:
Upping the idle speed to 3 or 4 thousand (back wheel free) to see if this would provide a temporary solution. Soon as I put the back wheel on the ground again, idle went back to normal speed (around 2ooo) and the revs wouldn't pick up.
New spark plug is now fitted and I've set the mixture and idle speed to where they should be.
Took the exhaust off and checked it and the outlet port for blockages. Outlet port is free, and I blew through the exhaust without resistance, so it seems clear. When I shake it, it sounds like there's a bit of metal rattling around in there. I've never cut an exhaust open and had a look inside, but I don't think that's the way it should be :) Could it be that something inside is loose and blocking the exhaust? Sounds kind of plausible, but it would surprise me if this was causing the regular type of problem which I've described. As I said, it only happens when warm, and now it's ALL the time when warm.

I'd appreciate it if anybody could come up with any suggestions here. Be especially happy to hear from someone who had the same problem and got it sorted, but I'll listen to anyone who comes up with something that sounds good.
Thanks guys.
Fin.

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
Re: Dink 50 (Bet and Win?) doesn't pull when warm
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 09:16:50 PM »
Hi Fin,

Over here in the States, the Dink 50 is known as the Super 9.  These are excellent bikes.  It sounds like your problem is most likely in the transmission.  I would recommend checking your belt and rollers, but particularly pay attention to the drive boss.  It probably  needs to be cleaned.

Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to give your carburetor a good cleaning as it's been sitting for a bit.  All in all, it's not much work and it'll most likely end up running tip-top!  A new belt and roller weights would be a good idea while you're in there, especially if they've never been changed.

~Josh
www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

FinInGermany

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 12:12:43 PM »
Hi Josh,
thanks for your reply, you've restored my faith in human nature your side of the pond  ;)
I've actually had the scoot running again since late March but, since nobody had seen fit to try and help me out, I didn't bother posting the results.
First off I ordered a new exhaust, since there's no way there should be bits rattling around in there. Looked nice and shiny, but unfortunately didn't solve the problem. Since I got new weights with it (6.5 grams incidentally) I decided fitting them wouldn't do any harm. When I dismantled the vario, lo and behold... the weights weren't so much worn, as completely shot to bits - as was the vario itself. Tell the truth, I'm surprised my poor scoot managed to get anywhere without assistance from a tow truck. Needless to say, I got on the computer and ordered myself a new vario straight away.
The vario came with 5.5 gram weights, so I decided to try both sets to see which gave the better result. With the 6.5s I had a gap between about 35 - 45 Km/H where it wouldn't pull a greasy burger off a plate, but still got me up to a top speed of around 65 on the flat (according to the speedo). With the 5.5s there's not much of a drop in the top speed, but the acceleration hole isn't quite so noticeable. Thinking about getting a set of test rollers so I can fine tune it a bit, but all in all, I'm pretty happy with the way she's running. As well as getting the problem solved, renewing the vario has also increased the top speed by around 10 Km/H, and I now need under 3.5 litres per 100 Km instead of just over 4 litres (wonder why  ::))
Thanks again for taking an interest.
Wishing you a largely rain-and hassle-free scooting season.
Take it easy,
Fin.

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 01:45:52 AM »
Glad to hear you were able to take care of your scooter troubles Fin!  Sometimes I'm slow to check all the different forums I use, but if you PM me I'll get an e-mail and visit the forum pretty quick.  I hope the scooter works out great for you.  I'm currently building a Super 9 for race, though the progress is very slow because of time and money restraints.  There's a thread about it in the "Super 9" section of the forum.

All the best,

~Josh
www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()