Author Topic: New Guy  (Read 2503 times)

vex

• View Profile
New Guy
« on: March 17, 2012, 06:48:14 PM »
Hi all -
 I'm new to the forum as well as mostly new to the world of scooters. I've been a motorcycle rider since I was a child, and a roadracer for many years. I recently suffered a stroke, and haven't been able to get my right leg over the seat of any of my motos, so I bought an Xciter 500Ri. The first thing I always do when buying a new ride, is search out a forum associated with the brand and the model. Looks good here so far! I may have a few questions now and then, but I'll mostly lurk and use the search engine.

I'm sure I'll be hunting for performance parts and tips, as I can't seem to leave anything alone...

sissy mary

• View Profile
Re: New Guy
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 12:15:33 AM »
Nice to have you on board!

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 04:57:58 AM »
Welcome, Vex.  Some of us consider our Xcitings to be real motorcycles.  Well, sort of. . .  :D  My problem is with my left leg -- I have no voluntary movement in the foot cause it's artificial.  So the scooter is just the ticket. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 08:04:19 PM »
Hey Vex! There are a BUNCH of enthusiastic owners here. Since you were into the "scene" before it is assumed you Know what that hole is for... Anything you want!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

vex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 01:37:46 AM »
Thanks for the welcome.

I agree the Xciting is close enough to a "real" motorcycle to darn near be one, with the exception of the technicalities. That's one of the reasons I bought one. I want to be able to do some longer distance rides at freeway speeds. True scooters just don't have the equipment (displacement, protection from elements, carrying capacity, etc.) for what I need. Maxi-Scooter is a pretty good term, for sure.

Plus, anything with two wheels that can get me out in the world and put the wind in my face is a moto, AFAIC.

I'm having a bit of trouble sorting through some of the info here, as there's farkling to be done and I want to at least get my top case mounted (Givi Monokey E460) and a power distribution block for some grip heaters and my jacket liner. I don't know what the electrical output is yet, but around here (an hour north of Seattle, WA), riding 4 seasons can be brutal without some heat. :)

But, I think I'll get most of it figured out. If not, I'll ask!

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 04:52:16 AM »
By the way, Vex, I admire, respect, and ENVY you for doing road racing.  It's my fantasy, actually.  Probably would've killed myself if I'd ever tried it.  I think it's tremendously exciting to watch! 

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 03:58:37 PM »
What year is your bike? I think the fuel injected (2009) & up may have a little more juice, (electricity) than the carbed models? But I am not sure? As to elec vest & such? I am not sure if it will handle it or not? I bought some polar weight long johns at Cabellos, and a pair of water proof pants, and water proof jacket. Put these on & under your leather jacket, and you can ride in any kind of weather or tempurature. Cutting the wind is the most important thing to riding in cold or wet weather to me! Thats my 2 cents. :-*

vex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »

Mine is a 2009. Some of the rides I take are long and varied, including going over mountain passes in inclement weather. I've outfitted all my other bikes with heated grips and heat-trollers to add heated gear (just a jacket liner). I used to just try to cover up and stay dry, but once I found heated gear, that all changed. I try to use it as much as possible now, because if I can stay warm, it doesn't really matter if I'm wet. I'll dry out when I stop for the day.

Hypothermia on the other hand, can kill a ride (not to mention the rider!) very quickly. Last year, a couple of friends and I took a quick 400 mile ride to lunch on the other side of the state. Even using their rain gear and jacket layering, they arrived at the lunch spot, shivering and miserable, not wanting to continue home after lunch. Me? I was a little chilled on some spots, but my hands and core were warm, which made for a great ride. They changed their minds after they warmed up, but they got cold going back, too.

Most times, with bikes that have low output charging systems, guys will just install a volt meter to keep an eye on things. When voltage starts to get low, they'll just turn things off until voltages start to go back up. I'm planning on doing that to my X500 (hey, I'm learning the lingo!) when I wire in a power distribution block, relay, heated grips, and heat-troller. Even though I carry AAA, I don't like to interrupt a ride with a dead battery. :)

MrSolo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 12:05:22 AM »
Hi New Guy,

While shopping for a 2012, 300i, my dealer offered me a brand new, 2010 Xciting for the same price as a new 300i. As a new Xciting rider...what would you recommend? Also, do you have room for a full face helmet under the seat of your Xciting? Thanks!  :)

sentinex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 02:42:27 AM »
Hi new guy welcome to the cove of lost souls..just kidding. Is Great to have you here and hear that  you can ride a Kymco. lurking is welcome but don't be afraid to ask, there is multitude of experts around here that will be happy to help you with any question.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 02:53:30 AM »
...or one of these.......

;)
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 02:59:08 AM »
Hi new guy welcome to the cove of lost souls..just kidding. Is Great to have you here and hear that  you can ride a Kymco. lurking is welcome but don't be afraid to ask, there is multitude of experts around here that will be happy to help you with any question.

Yeah, ex spurts! Lol!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 03:02:42 AM »
ex spurt = used to be drip
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 03:04:15 AM »
ex spurt = used to be drip

...lmfao!!!!!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 03:27:58 AM »
An Ex is a has been and a Spurt is a drip under pressure!

Correct me if I am wrong but there seems to be a never ending stream of Ex-spurts. The media must have an inexhaustible list from which to draw. Universities pump them out by the dozens and whatever the situation, there is an amazingly profound Ex-spurt available to pontificate on whatever it is be we should be thinking (more than often, with a funny accent). They are in plague proportions!!!

Let’s take a look at their recent track record:

• They failed to predict Global Warming
• They failed to find weapons of mass destructions
• They failed to alert us to Global Money mismanagement

And previously they failed to notice the world was round!!!

Thank god for Experts; they come along after the Ex-spurts finish making fools of us and explain to us what it is we should be thinking after we have been thinking what we were told to think, but I have noticed they have a tendency to be the same people. One minute they are an Ex-spurt and then they are an Expert.

I think it should be classified as a mental problem and once you are diagnosed as being an Ex-spurt, you should be committed to an institution for Expert appraisal. Although don’t take my word for it because I am not an Expert/spurt, think about it yourself. Maybe we could get fast Eddie to start an ABC minding centre for them but then again we already have an ABC full of Ex-spurts. I don’t know, I’m confused, how about you?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()