Author Topic: Scooter Stolen and Retrieved with Iphone Ap (criminal arrested)!!!  (Read 3851 times)

mrscooter

• View Profile
I went hiking two nights ago with my Super 8 150, parked it near a trail, and then heard a funny noise, followed by the screeching of tires of a pickup truck while up in the hills. I returned to find my scooter GONE!!!

However, I'd left my cell phone in it too, and used an app Find My Phone, to see where our scooter went. It was wild to see our scooter moving on a map without us! The police borrowed our iPad, found the criminal and retrieve the scooter! Other than a destroyed trunk and a few minor scratches, it was intact. Phew!!! The culprit (I've gotta think there was more than one, but he's not talking) went to jail, charged with a felony.

I'm trying to think of the best ways to prevent the "lift into a pick-up truck" scenario from happening at a trailhead again. The best I've come up with is an alarm (xena hub alarm perhaps...simple and cost-effective) and a large cable or chain lock, if I find a fence or street sign to chain it too. Any other thoughts???

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: Scooter Stolen and Retrieved with Iphone Ap (criminal arrested)!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 03:24:55 AM »
Just glad to hear the theiving SOB is in jail ! ! !

quinnmallory

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 05:11:06 AM »
Hmm...glad you got your scooter back. Way to prevent the lifting into a truck thing? Not sure other than chaining it to something solid. I suppose you could always get a heavier scooter!  ;) Back when I had my Piaggio X9, you'd never lift that one up on a truck.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 05:29:08 AM »
Damn that's crazy!

Glad you got it back. I wonder if they heard your phone in the trunk and that's why they tore it open. :D

I'm always worried about that happening to me. This is what I use:
http://www.scooterworks.com/Cable-Lock-Prima-6-foot-x-15mm-P5548.aspx

Have to have something to lock it to though. If I were you I'd drive it down the trail just out of sight of the road and lock it to a tree.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:18:31 AM »
wow glad you got it back.  thats like haveing your own gps.on a scoot.
we have so much of that going around here the cops impound lot is full.

YagerMySter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 11:20:42 AM »
You could get one of these and tie it to your scooter.

It don't need no love, just a place to poop and pee.

I did it and I'm glad.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 10:33:48 PM »
Glad to hear you got your scooter back and the A-hole's in jail. Here's what I use:

http://onguardlock.com/products/images/product/5019l.jpg

Yeah, I'd suggest locking it to a sign or something solid.

-Wolf

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 01:36:18 AM »
You could get one of these and tie it to your scooter.

It don't need no love, just a place to poop and pee.

...lmfao!!!!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 02:53:48 AM »
1. Cable locks or chain locks = 2 to 3 seconds with a bolt cutter.
2. Disc locks = impossible to roll the scooter. Thieves really have to lift the scooter.
3. Disc lock with alarm = #2 plus the loud alarm that will wake everyone.
4. Bike Alarm = a good deterrent. Louder than the disc lock alarm. Some come with engine cut off systems.
5. Bike cover with belts = (works with some people) Thieves don't have the time to remove the belts and cover of the
                                     bike and makes the bike difficult to lift with the cover on. Too inconvenient.
6. An old beat-up cover = the sight is just not attractive to passing thieves.

... your choice ;D

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 03:31:33 PM »

Me personally - I don't mess with chains or disc locks or alarms because they don't stop someone who planned on stealing a bike.  Insurance and LoJack are my preference.

2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 02:40:59 AM »
We have motorcycle parking areas here. I don't have an alarm because when the alarm goes off, I won't be able to determine whose bike is being stolen, all alarms sound the same! Haha! Thieves won't bother spending time in stealing something. They want a swift take and getaway. Creating inconveniences will deter them. In our country, thieves prefer Yamahas, Hondas and Suzukis because there is a big market for these brands. A thief will have a harder time finding customers if he steals a Kymco, SYM, etc.  Also, if you have a chinese scooter, nobody will even give it a second look.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 03:28:34 AM »
Me personally - I don't mess with chains or disc locks or alarms because they don't stop someone who planned on stealing a bike.  Insurance and LoJack are my preference.

You're right if they plan to take your scooter they're going to get it. Although, IMO a lot of scooters are stolen randomly. Insurance costs lots of money and so does LoJack. They still get your scooter and the damage is still done. Rules I use to feel secure about my scooter: Public place or if not hide it out of sight, lock it to something solid and tall enough you can't just lift it up over, lock the steering column, and if you can park it somewhere not easily accessed by cargo vehicles. None of these things guarantee anything, but it makes me feel better. If I have none of these things I am not comfortable. No offense but I'd never ever park my scooter on the side of any road, day or night, and walk away... JMO

He's what the thief saw: Dark lonely rode at night, nobody around, a truck, and yes more than likely he had help from another person. They probably thought it was broke down and the owner was no where around. My 6th sense tells me it was drunk rednecks doing it for a thrill. Little did they know the consequences :D :D :D That makes me laugh
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 08:35:18 PM »
Just insurance, that all you need and actually it is cheap.  Think about it.  Tho I do like the phone thing.

Richard
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 04:12:54 AM »
I love the dog idea but he wont stay under the seat while riding. Insurance is the ONLY way to go. Chains/locks are 30 second stalls at BEST. Don't love the scoot too much as it will happen to us all sooner or later.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

DaveABQ

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 07:00:10 PM »
i just had to put my Rottweiler down in February after 11 great years, he rode all over with me on my ATV, think he would have ridden on motorcycles and scooters if he had a good place to stand

so I just picked up one of these, maybe I need a side car, lol, the dog is a Dogo Argentino:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()