Author Topic: Could be a Dowtown buyer  (Read 2935 times)

jwalz1

• View Profile
Could be a Dowtown buyer
« on: March 21, 2012, 07:48:06 PM »
Hey gang,

Looking at several scooter and the one I would most like to buy is the Downtown, but on my list it is also the most expensive.  There are several Kymco dealers in my area, I would like to ask did anyone pay below sticker?  The only one dealer I have walked into wants to add $400 for freight and prep onto the cost of a new one and wondering what most of you experience.  This is a dealer in midwest US.

Secondly, one dealer has a new 2011 still in stock.  I have seen other dealers go as low as advertising $1100 of original sticker on a new-old stock 2011 but have no idea what they want to add in hidden fees on top of that.  I don't even need to go that low, but if new price is $5599, does $4800 on new old stock seem outrageous?

Any advice helpful.  This will be a toy that will get maybe 500 miles a year tops so that is why my reluctance to pay top dollar even though a great product.

Thanks for any advice.

Ckline3783

• View Profile
Re: Could be a Dowtown buyer
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 08:14:38 PM »
Hello Jwalz1

When i bought my 2011 DT 300i the dealer gave me what i considered a very good price for my 2008 Honda Elite 80.  he also took $500 off of the asking price which was $5499.  so at least in the US i think you can make deals with the dealer.

jwalz1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 08:25:09 PM »
Hello Jwalz1

When i bought my 2011 DT 300i the dealer gave me what i considered a very good price for my 2008 Honda Elite 80.  he also took $500 off of the asking price which was $5499.  so at least in the US i think you can make deals with the dealer.

That helps, thank you.

davidcald

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 05:38:41 PM »
Hi,
I have a white 2011 Kymco Downtown 300 i.  I bought it from a friend that had to suddenly move to California last year, Love the scoot but never have time to ride.  I now travel most of the time with work.    Would sell it to you for $ 3,500.  It has less than 2,000 miles I believe and I have performed final drive oil change and motor oil change twice on bike.   Located in Nashville Tn.  Let me know if you would like to see pics.  It is a stock downtown 300i with not bags or any additions added.

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 06:46:31 PM »
Hi,
I have a white 2011 Kymco Downtown 300 i.  I bought it from a friend that had to suddenly move to California last year, Love the scoot but never have time to ride.  I now travel most of the time with work.    Would sell it to you for $ 3,500.  It has less than 2,000 miles I believe and I have performed final drive oil change and motor oil change twice on bike.   Located in Nashville Tn.  Let me know if you would like to see pics.  It is a stock downtown 300i with not bags or any additions added.

I would buy it... Can you send it to Europe, Hungary?? ;) ;)

I have a barely used (200km)14gr Dr Pulley rollers to SELL!! Send a PM if you interested in...

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 03:14:52 AM »
I've never paid for "freight and prep" for any of my bikes. In fact, I've always paid below SRP, too. Kymco's are overstocked in the U.S. right now, so there is some leverage because of all of the "holdovers".

Haggle them to death! - that's what I say  ;D

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

jwalz1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 04:16:47 PM »
I've never paid for "freight and prep" for any of my bikes. In fact, I've always paid below SRP, too. Kymco's are overstocked in the U.S. right now, so there is some leverage because of all of the "holdovers".

Haggle them to death! - that's what I say  ;D

Done and done!   ;)

I actually just asked for a quote and got a very surprisingly low one.  I did not haggle any more because I was happy with the price.  I will be out the door for a few hundred UNDER sticker with TTL and prep included.    It was a leftover 2011 in white.   

I have never ridden a scooter before except for a day on a rental moped and don't have my motorcycle license for another couple weeks so I don't pick up the bike until the end of the month but looking forward to it. 

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 02:50:47 PM by jwalz1 »

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 04:24:19 PM »
Done and done!   ;)

I actually just asked for a quote and got a very surprisingly low one.  I did not haggle any more because I was happy with the price.  I will be out the door for a few hundred UNDER sticker with TTL and prep included.    It was a leftover 2011 in white.    

I have never ridden a scooter before except for a day on a rental moped and don't have my motorcycle license for another couple weeks so I don't pick up the bike until the end of the month but looking forward to it.  

One summer in stock form and then maybe new sliders next year.  Does slider work void the warranty?  I would guess if the dealer put them in and makes money off of them, they will still honor my warranty and not tell Kymco.

Good for you! You won't regret it. Riding a scooter is not hard, and even though I have lots of experiences on motorcycles I find a scooter wonderfully simple. I find that I enjoy riding more on a scooter. It's probably a great first step for someone that has never ridden before.
As far as sliders go, my dealer has told me that it does not void the warranty. Although I want to look further in to this because I find my dealer to lack almost complete knowledge of scooters in general. Others on here may know more.

Congrats again on the new scoot. Be safe and enjoy yourself!

As I tell my wife since she has started on her new scooter - don't do the newbie mistake - "Don't put your feet down until you've stopped!" :D

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()