Author Topic: Seems flooded when warm  (Read 3027 times)

sissy mary

• View Profile
Seems flooded when warm
« on: March 21, 2012, 11:13:33 PM »
Hey: Since it got warm, all of a sudden my carbed 2007 is hard to start after it has been run for a wile. It starts fine when cold, but after I try to re-start after it has been on the road for a wile, I have to give it some gas it get it going? And then it won't idle for a short time. And then it's ok. Sometimes it seems as if it is a little flooded when it starts? I think I can even smell gas sometimes? Even if it sets for an hour, I have to give it some throttle to lite it up? Also on the way home I had to feather the throttle to keep it going at some stops, but other times the idle is perfect? Other than that it runs perfect. Bad diaphram? Electric choke dead/stuck? Floats sinking? HELP. I need to ride and don't have the cast to take it to a dealer. :'(

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: Seems flooded when warm
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 03:21:14 AM »
Mine has all those symptoms but to a minor degree.  It takes sometimes three or four miles to get peppy after sitting only 20 minutes.  So I just adjust my riding for those three or four miles. Actually, I've found that giving it the wide open during that time is the solution.  Yep, I have to crack throttle to start it sometimes and then smell gas.  I don't think anything is wrong with mine though. 

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 03:04:18 PM »
Thanks, it's just strange that it started all of a sudden? I am thinking the fuel filter may be clogged? I had just put some sea foam in it a couple of tanks ago & now this starts to happen? This may explain the stalling at stop signs/lights? :-*

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 06:00:51 PM »
Isn't this weird...Now that's it's in the upper 70's-80's,  I am experiencing the same issues.
Rode to the mall yesterday about 11 miles.  Went into Target for 20-25 minutes.  Came out
rode another 2 miles and then it started stalling at every stop sign or light.  I too had to
start it like it was flooded.  When it's moving it's fine,  just don't stop.   Yesterday was the second
day in the last week I've had this issue.  Both Hot.

hgw75

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 06:45:47 PM »
How old is the sparkplug? :)

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 07:09:12 PM »
That was on my mine also? I am going to pick up a plug tomorrow. Maybe it needs a new plug after setting for a while? Today I started it up, let it run until the temp gage read 1/2 as it always does. I noticed the idle was way low, about 1,000 RPM. I set it to specs, turned it off and re-started it again several times. Always fired right up and never died? I am still going to replace the plug, & change the fuel filter when I have the valves adjusted. I'll let you all know if this cured the prob or not? :-*

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 07:41:53 PM »
You know? Maybe the X500 has problems with the electric choke? Maybe it can't make up it's mind when it is about 80 outside? Just a thought? :-*

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 07:47:13 PM »
Check that your carb is still mounted securely and that the manifold doesn't have any leaks.  An air leak will make it run lean.  It could be that the autoenricher is working correctly - and when it turns off you are running too lean.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 08:43:27 PM »
My Plug was new in the last 1,500 miles.  I also put
in a new air filter last night.  Just rode in the rain to the bank and back
with no issues.  I used to have a low idle on the GV and that stalling quit
after I upped it a bit.  Dirty fuel filters usually restrict performance when
moving.

hgw75

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 01:24:22 PM »
You are doing the right things....GOOD for you. Keep us posted. ;D

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 03:07:57 PM »
I also wonder since it was warm out, maybe there is a vapor locking problem? I do have a habit of topping off the tank as it is so small. Maybe get's some gas in the charcole canister? If it does it again, I will stop, open up the cap, re-start and see if it clears up the problem? :-*

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 04:05:05 PM »
That would also give you problems when you had been riding for a while and you tried to give it gas.  It never hurts to check and eliminate it as a possibility though...
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 05:46:54 PM »
As someone here pointed out a few months ago, a clean air filter will help with starting problems.  I know it did help mine!

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
Just got back from a 100 mile run. 64 degree's and rain. At first start when engine is in between cold and warm, (after 1/2 mile or so), did stall once. Ater that fine. Stopped once and had something to eat. Bike sat about 1 hour. Started right up, hit HWY and all was fine. It did kind of sputter/surge for a few seconds right at that mid-way point between cold and warm, but I feathered the throttle a few times and it stopped doing it. I think our electric chokes can't make up it's minds of how much gas to give at that cole/warm period? Maybe it does not open the choke fully fast enough after getting cold? After setting my idle speed up a bit it is perfect at first start cold, after fully warm, it idles at 2000 RPM. Just a tad high, but it does not stall now. Maybe the chokes get a little sticky after a while? After the idle adjustment my issues are really gone. Even a bike or car with an auto choke does not work perfect everytime.  :-*

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 05:00:57 AM »
Right on, Sissy.  Y'all don't neglect checking your idle speed when little probs like this come up.  Also, Sissy and the rest of you, I have to mention StarTron again -- I think you'd be very happy using it.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()