Author Topic: HOW SAFE IS PLUGS IN TIRES NEW TIRE WITH NAIL IN IT  (Read 5079 times)

de-dee

• View Profile
HOW SAFE IS PLUGS IN TIRES NEW TIRE WITH NAIL IN IT
« on: March 22, 2012, 06:20:54 PM »
MOTOR CYCLE SHOP REFUSED TO PLUG TIRE , BECAUSE OF INSURANCE LIABILITY,  ARE TIRES SAFE TO RIDE ON ,NO RACING, JUST HIGH WAY RIDING  ,.    300I DOWNTOWN,  PIRELLI DIABLO TIRES  ABOUT 1000 KM. ON THEM,.600 MILES,.
RIDE SAFE, OTTAWA CANADA 15,000  KM. & SPRING HAS SPRUNG ,AMEN .

MaryK

• View Profile
Re: HOW SAFE IS PLUGS IN TIRES NEW TIRE WITH NAIL IN IT
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 10:32:57 PM »
You will get a lot of answers, I am sure.
It does depend upon a lot of parameters.

If the nail was in the sidewall:  NOT GOOD
If it was the front Tire:  Not as safe as if it were the rear tire

My DH plugged the rear tire on a Shadow 500 and had no problem with it.
He monitored the air pressure and IF he had seen any leakage, he would have installed a new tire.
But he never rode it on long highway trips.

On a scooter, where the tires are less expensive, a new tire may be the better answer.
"How much is your life worth?" is a common statement.

Scoot Safely,

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 12:42:19 AM »
On a scooter, where the tires are less expensive, a new tire may be the better answer.
"How much is your life worth?" is a common statement.

Scoot Safely,

...this thread should die here...

;)
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

de-dee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 01:57:54 AM »
CANT AFORD TO DIE !!! SO I ORDERED NEW TIRES, A LITTLE OVER 200.00 FOR 150/70 13  BALANCED & INSTALLED ,. THANKS FOR THE INFO. HAPPY DAYS TO ALL ,. RIDE SAFE,  OH DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS THE WARN OUT MEASURE IS FOR THE BELT THE BOOK SAYS 25.2 MM. X 1004 MM.   30% MY BELT IS 1010MM. X 24MM  IT HAS 15,000 KM. ON IT,. THANKS AGAIN , 300i DOWNTOWN  15 GRAM SLIDERS REV.S HIGHER THAN OTHER REPORTS ON FORUM , 7,000  RPM @110 KM.  THANK YOU FOR ANY REPLY??

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 08:19:40 AM »
CANT AFORD TO DIE !!! SO I ORDERED NEW TIRES, A LITTLE OVER 200.00 FOR 150/70 13  BALANCED & INSTALLED ,. THANKS FOR THE INFO. HAPPY DAYS TO ALL ,. RIDE SAFE,  OH DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS THE WARN OUT MEASURE IS FOR THE BELT THE BOOK SAYS 25.2 MM. X 1004 MM.   30% MY BELT IS 1010MM. X 24MM  IT HAS 15,000 KM. ON IT,. THANKS AGAIN , 300i DOWNTOWN  15 GRAM SLIDERS REV.S HIGHER THAN OTHER REPORTS ON FORUM , 7,000  RPM @110 KM.  THANK YOU FOR ANY REPLY??

Usually it's no different than what the book says.  ;D
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 11:23:11 PM »
Why couldn't they put a patch on the inside?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 01:14:14 AM »
Why couldn't they put a patch on the inside?

..again...there you go!!   8)

de-dee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 02:04:16 AM »
 ???
patch on the inside to me a good idea . they use to have hot patches that vulcanized into the tire, where can we find that in this replace it era,.  :

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 02:06:15 AM »
..can probly get a patch kit at your local auto parts gig...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 02:52:36 AM »
I have a plugged rear tire for almost a year now. "How much is my life worth?" If I want to be real safe, I'll use my car, drive at moderate speeds and avoid the freeways. Death comes like a thief in the night, you'll never know when... ;)

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 04:54:16 AM »
I think most tire shops will do an inside vulcanized patch.  My local mechanics' shop does it.  But car tire shops may not be able to get your scooter wheel on their demounting device.  Call around and ask.  You might have to get the tire off yourself or pay a motorcycle shop to do so.  Then go have it patched.  Then pay to have it put back on.  Depends on the prices of all that as to whether you'll come out cheaper than a new tire, though.  One shop here charged me $10 to demount old and mount a new tire two years ago.  This year it's $15.

Then you may want to add some balancing beads or similar since the patch may unbalance the tire.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 04:23:13 PM »
If you have plugged plenty of tires you can do it. The mechanic was just covering his liable arse. Very understandable. Is it worth the $10 they would make to take a risk in a possible lawsuit? Hell no!

If the hole is in the tread, plug it yourself. If it's your first pluging take it somewhere else. You'll find somebody that will do it. The tires not going to come apart because there's a plug in it. Worst case is it leaks a little. IMO to take the tire off the wheel you might as well put a new tire on.

You don't need a tire changer for these scooter tires. I put my rear tire on myself. Breaking the bead can be the hardest part. I used a C-clamp. Pull out the valve stem, break the beads using a C-clamp or drive over just the tire with a car, then use some tire spoons to work the tire off. If you're unfamiliar with the process of changing a tire I don't recommend trying this. You'll just get frustrated.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 07:42:49 PM »
Motorcycle tires have to be able to handle stresses and flex in ways that car tires do not.  Car tires handle stress mostly front to back, and the tread is designed to handle that and keep the tire from flexing.  Motorcycle tires take stresses front to back, and side to side - and they are made to allow flexing.  Push on a new car tire at a shop and then push on a new motorcycle tire at a shop - they are not built the same way.  If you plug it or patch it then it's a crap shoot for how long it will hold.  That's not so bad - the worst problem is that the chance of catastrophic air loss (which will cause you to crash) goes WAY up.  Basically you'll be leaned over in a corner and the carcass of the tire is going to rip and throw you and your ride down on the ground. 

I carry plug/patch kits when on long rides - but they are only to get me home or to the nearest place I can get a new tire.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 09:15:23 PM »
Just ask yourself this : What are my chances of surviving a 55mph blowout in a car unharmed ? Now ask the same question on a 300i . I don't like the math . Good luck .

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 09:29:50 PM »
You're right. Put a new tire on. Doesn't cost that much. Personally I might plug it. That's just me. It's not like these things are race bikes. Maybe if I had a bigger bike like you guys. I don't think the tire on my 50cc has a whole lot of stress on it.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()