Author Topic: Clutch problem or something else?  (Read 19370 times)

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch problem or something else?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 07:11:39 PM »
I have done this brake-maxrev thing, but I get bored it... I made a universal holder (you know that Y-shape tool) and  I disassembled the engine when I changed the rollers. I took apart the clutch, I found real dust and mud inside (at 3000km!!). It was scary to see... I cleaned it, since than it works perfectly...

I have a barely used (200km)14gr Dr Pulley rollers to SELL!! Send a PM if you interested in...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 04:22:23 AM »
You will se more dust/debris when new. It's all "breakin" matter.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

dBuster2009

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 03:29:13 PM »
I can't say that I was really paying attention on how long or how far I was going doing it, but it took under a minute, and I've had
to do it twice in 12k+ miles to get rid of the surging start, and it didn't come back after that.

The key is to get the revs as high up as possible, and keep the clutch slipping as much as possible and that means going
very slow, walking pace slow. 2 or 3 short runs and it was smooth as butter after that!

Okay, I have tried this now maybe 4 or 5 times and have done so for a good 15 seconds at a time.  Had done this walking the bike for a good 15 feet and yet the results last maybe for the next stop or two I get smooth take offs.  After that, lunging and lurching when the rpm's get to that magic spot and there is no way around it. 

Now maybe after reading this thread over again and maybe three more times there over, keep it slipping as much as possible keeps ringing in my head.  Do I need to do it again?!  Maybe after work today I will do it again and this time keep it going longer.  I am planning on heading right to the repair shop, the dealership, to get the bike looked at if it continues...  Now what I also read is that there could be dirt in there somewhere and that might be causing this?  Is that true?  Or should I just skip it if it does it again after yet another burn tonight just take it in?

This is so frustrating....
Kymco Agility 125
Yamaha XS850G

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 05:38:56 AM »
It shouldn't happen that fast.
I once overfilled the transmission oil and had the same problem repeat
daily until the excess oil drained out.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

dBuster2009

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 01:26:10 PM »
Okay well I had a co-worker time my burn last night, at least 20 seconds, and made sure that I went at least 25feet in the attempt to burn the clutch. 

Lets just say I made it about two miles and the front tire lifts off of the ground again when I take off from a stop.  I must have gotten it a good 10 inches off of the ground.

So I rode directly to the dealership.  Mentioned what is happening to the service desk technician and all he could do was ask questions as to when it started and if I thought it was engine or transmission, etc.  Since I have 6300 km on the scoot and the last time the oil was changed it was at 1500 miles, not sure the km but someone can do the math.  So I thought to schedule a servicing to include the oil, etc and was quoted $65 to $70 for the servicing which in turn will also have them look at the cvt.  The tough part, they can't get me in until JUNE 9th!!!!!!  So I sit and wait now. 

Any ideas?  I am thinking of taking the cover off and looking to see if the darn thing is just dirty and possibly just clean it out.  If that works then great.  Otherwise I have the appointment yet.

Cortez, you mention the over filling of the transmission oil.  Is there such on the Agility 125?  If so I wonder when the dealership did my last servicing if they over filled and it took a while to rear its ugly head, or front wheel when taking off?  hmmm  I might have to try and find a service manual for the agility125 so I can check.  Think it might be the cause for me or at least a possibility?

I know at slower take offs the front end shudders until it grabs and then things go smooth.  If I take off a little harder on the throttle it pops wheelies!

I don't know what is going on with it but the more I can log it here the chances of someone else getting theirs corrected sooner increases.
Kymco Agility 125
Yamaha XS850G

dBuster2009

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 05:09:32 PM »
Anyone else with any input or insight into this?  I have yet to get the time to dig into the cvt so it looks like the stealership will do the work and diagnose it for me unless I can find help here with where to look...
Kymco Agility 125
Yamaha XS850G

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 03:32:30 AM »
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=1689.msg9960#msg9960

somewhere in this thread is a link to your manual.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

dBuster2009

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 01:28:41 PM »
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=1689.msg9960#msg9960

somewhere in this thread is a link to your manual.

Thanks for the link however, I did not see an active link for the agility 125.  I did grab the agility 50 but would like the 125 manual...
Kymco Agility 125
Yamaha XS850G

HueJass

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 07:44:13 PM »
So I thought to schedule a servicing to include the oil, etc and was quoted $65 to $70 for the servicing which in turn will also have them look at the cvt.  The tough part, they can't get me in until JUNE 9th!!!!!!  So I sit and wait now. 

Do not bring you scooter in for an oil change.  It will take 5 minutes, 10 minutes if you're intoxicated.

In this pic, you will see the arrow pointing to the 17mm oil plug.  It's the only bolt that has a 17mm head.  I use a rare earth magnetic plug off of ebay for $15 on mine.

Just loosen the bolt/plug....... drain the oil.  Tighten the plug back up snug, but not super tight, or you will crack the case.  Fill up on the opposite side where the dip stick is, using a funnel and 10w40 oil.  I use about 775ml.  I fill to 2/3.
I change my oil at 1K or sooner, if it gets dirty.

You can use google to find a manual online.  It's super easy to change your engine oil, trans gear oil, and belt and rollers.  The spark plug is kind of a pain, but doable, nonetheless.  

Best of luck.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 07:51:40 PM by HueJass »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 04:10:35 AM »
Nice clean Guilty...

dBuster2009

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 05:39:53 PM »
Tomorrow is the day.  I am taking it in and having the dealership do its thing.  Sure I will pay about $70 to have them go through it, but hopefully they will be able to tell me what is causing the lurching on take off. 

Not only that I think I am developing a hole in my muffler!  So I will be searching for a replacement also...
Kymco Agility 125
Yamaha XS850G

HueJass

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 08:43:06 PM »
Good luck to you... most dealerships aren't knowledgeable with scooters.  Too bad you don't have a local scooter club or crew that can help out.

dBuster2009

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 09:18:05 PM »
Good luck to you... most dealerships aren't knowledgeable with scooters.  Too bad you don't have a local scooter club or crew that can help out.

That would be helpful indeed!  There is a motorcycle place that he works on scoots, not sure if he would be of any help or not.

I guess after the dealership route this weekend if it is still doing it I will open up and look for how the clutch looks.  I have seen plenty of videos here to help me guide me.  just wish me luck
Kymco Agility 125
Yamaha XS850G

dBuster2009

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 01:06:13 PM »
Alrighty after the dealership gold care package performed...

Fancy name is all that is....

Any how when the mechanic or service person opened the cvt housing he saw the problem.

Or at least  I am being told he saw the problem.  They are saying that I need a new belt.  Yes a new belt.  I only have 6400 km on the bike (wish that was in miles on the bike but oh well).  So now my quest turns into finding a new belt, a decent one, at a relatively cheap price.  I will do the work on it myself but I want to find a cheap good belt. 

They also said I need a new air filter and between the belt and the filter they were going to, including labor, sock it to me for $120!!! 

So now to search the forums for a belt and air filter...  Unless someone else knows good sources. 

Also, while I am in there, should I replace the rollers/sliders???  Better ones maybe?  What is stock weight?

thanks in advance!
Kymco Agility 125
Yamaha XS850G

HueJass

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 05:30:10 PM »
I buy 18x14 rollers or sliders, and keep them in my garage.  I think 14gram are the OEM ones.  I'm running 3 10.8 & 3 12.2 sliders in mine.   I use a round file and a gram scale to make my own weight.  I'm running the NCY trans kit.

I use the Malossi belt from Italy, I bought 3 of them last year.  I have 2 scooters, so now I have one as a backup.

Hit youtube on how to change your belt, it's super easy.  You just need to get or make a variator tool.  
Here is one you can make, just some flat bar from the hardware store, and 3 nuts and bolts.  I made one just like it.  Use it to take off your drive face and variator, as well as your clutch when trying to change your belt.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()