Author Topic: What tool to remove the variator nut?  (Read 1331 times)

OregonDad

• View Profile
What tool to remove the variator nut?
« on: March 26, 2012, 01:08:45 AM »
I am looking for an impact wrench/driver to remove the variator nut on our Agility 50.  Our local Sears is closing and all they have left are these http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-9-17562-Nextec-12-volt-Right-Angle/dp/B00436U5GG for 50% off.  I prefer the drill style drivers, but will this tool do the job?

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: What tool to remove the variator nut?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 01:59:49 AM »
I doubt that will be strong enough to get the nut off.  It is only rated at 700 lbs/inch or about 58 lbs/ft.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 02:00:41 AM »
I tried one a neighbor has. It is fine for driving Lag bolts for a deck but not enough UMPH for what you need. The Harbor Freight sells for about 49 bucks with all the do dads.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

OregonDad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 02:46:12 AM »
Thanks, what is the minimum lbs/inch or lbs/ft I should look for?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 03:11:56 AM »
Any driver with a 1/2" drive will have enough balls. Too much if you are not carefull. Mark the nut with a Sharpie and when you reinstall it go just a tiny bit past the mark. 1/8th turn at the most.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 03:26:15 AM »
I have a cordless Harbor Freight one rated at something like 85 lbs/ft.  It works just fine except I've run into a few variator nuts that have never been removed before and it can't get 'em.  That's why I have a bigger pneumatic one. ;)

OregonDad

• View Profile

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 06:19:35 AM »
They have a cordless that sell for that price when it is on sale. You can email them to ask for the next sale date. Other wise it is around 70-80 bucks

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()