Author Topic: trouble starting need help peoples 250 s  (Read 2996 times)

duke fame

• View Profile
trouble starting need help peoples 250 s
« on: March 26, 2012, 05:55:49 AM »
Hello,
 Just got a used 250 s. I have started this bike twice. Once to drive it home and another a few days ago. The last time I started her I rode it around the block a couple of times and then parked it in the front yard. When I returned I tried to start - no go. After a few cranks the battery begins to fail and then the starter just runs constantly. I pull the starter regulator and find a replacement locally. It is not a Kymco part. the mechanic  at the motorcycle shop says that this part is standard. slap the voltage reg on and it now cranks and begins to start - but kills out after a couple of tries. Maybe I have two rotations through the cycle but no start. I pulled the carb - it looks clean. Electrical? carburetor? I have replaced oil and checked air filter. Its pretty dirty. I'm looking for simple and obvious. this bike was running. Do I check the carb for jet problems? Try something else? BTW it only starts to fire when I give her some gas.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: trouble starting need help peoples 250 s
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 06:56:47 AM »
Get a new battery first thing. When it starts test for charge at the battery. You should see at least 13 volts at 2000 rpm. Also do the shuff you should... Fuel/air filters, spark plug, oil change. It will be fine if you do these. The battery is first.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 02:02:56 PM »
Ditto
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

Engineer_Boo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 04:45:46 PM »
Ditto on the battery.  And don't spend a lot at the motorcycle/scooter shop, pick up one at WalMart.  (They only last around 2 years for me but I don't put them on a battery tender in the winter.)

duke fame

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 07:00:42 AM »
well I will order filter and get a new plug. I did fuel and oil - which looked a bit dirty. The battery appears new and is cranking pretty well with a charge. It's posting about 11.2 amps while cranking the starter. Still act like she wants to fire up but dies right away. Then open up the carb and clean? Should I get a new battery? it is cranking pretty well for several minutes before a noticeable drop in power.
BTW the odometer is showing 2000 miles.

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 12:10:07 PM »
Urbestfriend also recommends the new battery.  Same issue with an Agility 50.
Also thought it was the starter solenoid (Like $25.00).   This year new batteries
for both GV and Xciting.  Also charged and they'd start for a day.  They turn over
slower and when you give it a little gas,  they speed up and may or may not start.
I get mine at Interstate.  They can tell you whether its good or not.  Cost there
($80-85).

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 01:21:39 PM »
If you changed the oil but not the filter - then you need to do it again and change both at the same time.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 01:54:59 PM »
If you changed the oil but not the filter - then you need to do it again and change both at the same time.

There is no oil filter. Just strainer, and I never saw anything stuck to it in 50.000 cumulative kms both on Agility and People.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

duke fame

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 06:13:15 AM »
yes no filter. strainer looked OK. I'll take in battery tomorrow and check. Pretty sure with new battery and plug I should be rocking.

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 09:31:44 PM »
Hoping to hear the solution real soon...................

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 11:54:46 PM »
I bet Urbestfriend is...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

eugenec

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 01:02:33 AM »
Make sure your kill switch and kid stand switch is in good shape and in the right position.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()