Author Topic: This is what cheap(regular blend) fuel does inside your engine  (Read 10895 times)

Poots

• View Profile
Re: This is what cheap(regular blend) fuel does inside your engine
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 03:52:27 PM »

Even the VP of FES (flat earth Soc) Poots got it right with the air/fuel ratio creating soot.

As for the FES... You can't handle the truth.
Gonna sleep like a baby tonight.

Act like a baby and sleep like one I suppose...

If you have any trouble falling off try counting your carbon credits.

Sweet dreams Zombie
I'm from Texas. What country are Y'all from?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 01:26:52 AM »
Nighty - nite Poots!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 03:56:26 AM »
Can you give exact specifications to support these claims?

..NO..BUT I'M SURE YOU CAN...

..i know, from years of experiments, as well as experience, that every one of my scoots run better...tank to tank, if i burn "premium unleaded" gasoline...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 04:38:41 AM »
I know that unicorn poop tastes just like cherry-vanilla ice cream!

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 11:33:39 AM »
I know that unicorn poop tastes just like cherry-vanilla ice cream!

Unicorns dont poop, thats why theyre so hard to track.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:45:30 AM by streido »
Chaos is my co-pilot.

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 12:57:54 PM »
I do agree with both point,i take your word on the kymco figures cos i havent looked myself....
Now we are getting somewhere.

This is better - you personally consider "best grade" fuel to be fuel with "highest octane number."
I also realize that for some personal reason you do not like "supermarket" fuels.

Two questions for you:

1. Do you agree or disagree with the fact that additional octane value of fuel above that specified by the vehicle manufacturer has no benefit at all?
I think that for most Kymcos that value is 91 or 95 RON.
We have not had fuels lower than 95 RON for a decade or so in my country.

Im in Scotland, our basic fuel is 95ron, fuel+ is 97ron but some fuels offered can be 99ron. I stick with the 97.

I have a quick question- if 95-97 ron (european designation) equates more or less to 91-93 aki (US designation), then isn't this the same fuel rating? ( I didn't look at the video because my sound card crapped out.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_V-Power

Poots

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 01:26:40 PM »
95 RON = 90-91 AKI
97 RON = 92-93 AKI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
I'm from Texas. What country are Y'all from?

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 02:47:14 PM »
There is much more to "fuel rating" than octane number.

That is the main online/forums fuel issue. Most people hear only about "more is better" and when they couple that with "I paid more for it, therefore it must be better", we have all sorts of bs on online forums when fuel quality is the topic.

There are dozens of parameters, additives and characteristics of fuels, other than octane number. Most of them can be seen in the catalogue of fuels I have posted, from purity, water content, burn energy, ethanol content to anti-knocking/lubrification/anti-freezing agents composition...
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 09:58:42 PM »
Yeah, but there's no telling some people. I refuse to be this guy.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 12:26:46 AM »
Now your confusing the issue. In BASIC terms more is better... It's the things they leave in fuel that is at the center of the debate.
Lets say I tried to run a pure/clean fuel of 200 octane. It would NOT ignite with a scooter ignition system. So more is worse here.
Running 70 octane will ignite from the compression alone so it has uncontrollable characteristics that wont work in a scoot either.
The crux of MY belief/statements is: use the fuel that burns the CLEANEST, and is of an octane rating that gives the BEST performance, and leaves the LEAST residue. In the US we only have BAD, BETTER, and Not as good as I would like but ok.
Our 87 oct is for burning trash in the yard, or a stock scoot. Mid grade is fine for almost everything on the road. Hi test is the least I can run on without issues related to fuel. Since it works in my performance scoot I use it in EVERYTHING.
Also since I work on engines every day I sure don't want to go home, and work on one because of dirty fuel or Ethanol related problems.

I LOVE the Unicorn tracking bit!!!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 04:03:27 AM »
Well, if Snopes.com ever gets bored, they have a lot to work with, here. 'S'all I'm sayin'.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 06:54:34 AM »
I'll take a look at snopes to see what you meant. On a related issue... Anyone wanna buy some comic strips from me? I take Pay pal. Here's a sample link         this guy       Damn! That's not a link. I've been hoodwinked AGAIN!  Double drat that evil Jpres. My new arch Nemesis. Now I have to hire a Captain...
Negotiations with Quint

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 06:57:59 AM »
High octane to prevent detonation or knocking. If your engine stops detonation when using 90 octane , then that's the fuel for you. Anything higher will not result to better performance. Just more money spent. Higher compression engines need higher octane because they knock when lower octane is used and won't achieve maximum power.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 07:15:05 AM »
High octane to prevent detonation or knocking. If your engine stops detonation when using 90 octane , then that's the fuel for you. Anything higher will not result to better performance. Just more money spent. Higher compression engines need higher octane because they knock when lower octane is used and won't achieve maximum power.
That's the whole discussion in a nut shell. The only un addressed part is the residue left from lessor quality fuel. Here at least less octane is synonymous with lessor quality (more residue) overall. That may be what is creating controversy on such a simple topic. That being said I always recommend Hi test to avoid all the explaining what/why/blah blah blah.
Axy stated he tried using premium for three tanks, and saw no difference. Everyone I know that has tried it HAS seen a difference in mileage/performance. MUST be wWitches... That's the only logical explanation because all the Unicorns are owned by Bill Gates, and he wont share with us.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 07:54:59 AM »
You're right sir, and why do people blabber a lot on octane? Other factors that affect fuel performance include vapor pressure, specific gravity, oxidation stability, brand, etc., etc. For example, a premium high octane that has poor oxidation stability will leave gum in your system and will surely affect performance.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()