Author Topic: A brisk ride this a.m.  (Read 7014 times)

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
A brisk ride this a.m.
« on: March 28, 2012, 01:27:38 AM »
Knowing that it was only 15 degrees Fahrenheit outside this morning, I still decided to make the 40 mile trip in to work this morning on my Yager.  I made sure to place on layer upon layer so that I would stay warm. I swear I looked like Ralphies little brother in the movie The Christmas Story. If I had fallen over on my way into the garage, there I would've stayed until my wife and kids were able to assist me to my feet. :)
Two parts of my body took a beating on the ride in to work through the Green Mountains of Vermont - my neck and my hands. Even with my motogloves in fleece mitts with hand warmers inside, my hands felt like they were becoming so brittle from the cold that they would shatter off my arm. My slight double chin became firm from the cold, but made the chin strap feel like sand paper against my skin.
I learned a lot from this cold ride, and realized that even with all the preparation in the world you just cannot replace experience. And while it may have taken all day for my fingers to thaw out (just in time for the 40mile jaunt back home!), I was more alert when I got to
work this morning than I have ever been in my life. The frigid air replaced several pots of caffeinated coffee! :)

What type of extreme weather riding have you experienced?

What cold weather gear would you recommend?

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: A brisk ride this a.m.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 02:08:30 AM »
Knowing that it was only 15 degrees Fahrenheit outside this morning, I still decided to make the 40 mile trip in to work this morning

..brother from another mother...

;D

..the key, obviously, is layers, and keeping the wind off your skin...

..coldest i've ever ridden in was 18F.....17 miles, and brother, let me say...i applaud you for making it 40!!!

:o

..i ride year round..rain or shine..but for the cold, you gotta have a good balaclava, AND a windproof neckie...

..i have those, plus my second layer's jacket has a "turtle-neck" zip_up design.....thatsa leather layer...can't beat good leather to block wind...

..as for my hands, i've tried a bunch of gloves..my Columbias serve me well....$50.00 gloves that my bro from chicago gave me...

..scoot on with your cold-ass self!!!

;)
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

quinnmallory

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 04:01:14 AM »
Here in SoCal it doesn't really get that cold, but the wind chill can freeze you when riding if you don't dress to protect yourself from it.

I wear a wool undershirt and keep the lining in my Darien jacket.

I've learned to use a baklava to protect my neck from the windchill, which seriously helps a lot. Also protects against the wayward wasp/bee hits.

I wear cold weather gloves, which also cuts down on the windchill. I switch to summer gloves when it heats up.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 06:10:51 AM »
Yep some cold rides will really expose the areas not protected. IMO the neck is hardest to cover up. Ski masks are also good for the really cold days. Then put whatever your neck guard is over that.

I have some motorcycle rain pants I ordered from amazon and they work great to block the wind on the legs. It's a pain to have to put on and take off three or more layers of pants, especially when you're late everywhere you go already :D. The motorcycle rain pants block wind and rain really well. All I need now is my jeans and the rain pants over that to cover my legs. Of course I didn't sign up for early morning classes for this reason. I feel sorry for you guys that have to ride at 6am in January :'(.

For my top half I have a nice Columbia jacket with a removable liner that is awesome.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 07:22:15 AM »
My extreme weather ride on my Super 8 was last year's typhoon. Gusty winds, one foot flood, tree branches flying and trees falling and lots of debris and rooftop pieces flying. Had to go through lots of detours because trees were blocking the roads. Had to open up my visor due very poor visibility and get a beating of rain on my face. Fingers got the cramps and I had to remove those soaked gloves. Good thing water never seeped in my air intake, otherwise, the engine will just stop. Got so exhausted after a long ride. When I got home, half a bottle of brandy made me going again. ;D

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
Knowing that it was only 15 degrees Fahrenheit outside this morning, I still decided to make the 40 mile trip in to work this morning on my Yager.  I made sure to place on layer upon layer so that I would stay warm. I swear I looked like Ralphies little brother in the movie The Christmas Story. If I had fallen over on my way into the garage, there I would've stayed until my wife and kids were able to assist me to my feet. :)
Two parts of my body took a beating on the ride in to work through the Green Mountains of Vermont - my neck and my hands. Even with my motogloves in fleece mitts with hand warmers inside, my hands felt like they were becoming so brittle from the cold that they would shatter off my arm. My slight double chin became firm from the cold, but made the chin strap feel like sand paper against my skin.
I learned a lot from this cold ride, and realized that even with all the preparation in the world you just cannot replace experience. And while it may have taken all day for my fingers to thaw out (just in time for the 40mile jaunt back home!), I was more alert when I got to
work this morning than I have ever been in my life. The frigid air replaced several pots of caffeinated coffee! :)

What type of extreme weather riding have you experienced?

What cold weather gear would you recommend?

My all time low was 12 F with wind gusts up to 100 mph. Quite regular where I live.
I rode my scoots and bike (750 cc) through snow storm.

What you have just described is my daily commute during winter time.  ;D

p.s. I have a friend who used to ride his 50 cc 2 stroke @ -20 F.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 04:15:35 AM »
My all time low was 12 F with wind gusts up to 100 mph. Quite regular where I live

:o Holy frost balls Batman....
 That's dam cold and on the regular would F*N S*CK...
My worse was 22F @ -8F wind chill for a cpl days. Luckily winter is only around 4 months (the cold anyway)...

It's gettign spring now..  8)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 07:51:27 AM »
My all time low was 12 F with wind gusts up to 100 mph. Quite regular where I live

:o Holy frost balls Batman....
 That's dam cold and on the regular would F*N S*CK...
My worse was 22F @ -8F wind chill for a cpl days. Luckily winter is only around 4 months (the cold anyway)...

It's gettign spring now..  8)

Winter is here also maybe 2-3 months during the year and regular temperature during winter days is around 48 F/40 F during the night.
These are extremes I have mentioned...
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 03:18:35 AM »
Knowing that it was only 15 degrees Fahrenheit outside this morning, I still decided to make the 40 mile trip in to work this morning

..brother from another mother...

;D

..the key, obviously, is layers, and keeping the wind off your skin...

..coldest i've ever ridden in was 18F.....17 miles, and brother, let me say...i applaud you for making it 40!!!

:o

..i ride year round..rain or shine..but for the cold, you gotta have a good balaclava, AND a windproof neckie...

..i have those, plus my second layer's jacket has a "turtle-neck" zip_up design.....thatsa leather layer...can't beat good leather to block wind...

..as for my hands, i've tried a bunch of gloves..my Columbias serve me well....$50.00 gloves that my bro from chicago gave me...

..scoot on with your cold-ass self!!!

;)

Good tips! I never considered a balaclava. Seems obvious though! Ive since gone out and gotten myself something for my neck. What a difference! My hands are the only problem area now. Ive tried several combinations without much success. I think I may need the heated ones but I just cannot justify the cost. Id rather just pull over every twenty minutes and use my handwarmers for a couple minutes to draw the freeze out.
people are looking at me like there's something wrong with me too...lol... they just don't get it: the thrill of riding the scooter and the money saved on fuel.

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 03:21:50 AM »
My extreme weather ride on my Super 8 was last year's typhoon. Gusty winds, one foot flood, tree branches flying and trees falling and lots of debris and rooftop pieces flying. Had to go through lots of detours because trees were blocking the roads. Had to open up my visor due very poor visibility and get a beating of rain on my face. Fingers got the cramps and I had to remove those soaked gloves. Good thing water never seeped in my air intake, otherwise, the engine will just stop. Got so exhausted after a long ride. When I got home, half a bottle of brandy made me going again. ;D

Vivo, I think I would have needed the bottle of brandy BEFORE the ride in typhoon weather.  You're a brave soul!

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 03:27:50 AM »
My all time low was 12 F with wind gusts up to 100 mph. Quite regular where I live.
I rode my scoots and bike (750 cc) through snow storm.

What you have just described is my daily commute during winter time.  ;D

p.s. I have a friend who used to ride his 50 cc 2 stroke @ -20 F.
Yikes!  The wind chill mustve been unbearable. Clearly, you're experienced! Id love to ride this winter but I'm just not sure yet. I know that I need to be geared up more appropriately in order to even consider it.
During the cooler days, I am the only two wheeled motored transportation on the road. Just curious where all of those tough Harley guys are! Haha

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 03:37:12 AM »
people are looking at me like there's something wrong with me too...lol.. they just don't get it

..its true...dont sweat the stares...

quinnmallory

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 03:38:46 AM »
There are handle grip wind shields that can be fitted on the handle grips that keep the wind from hitting your hand -- gloved or otherwise -- directly. Other than that, a pair of gloves better suited for winter weather might be the trick. I myself have a couple pairs of gloves. One for colder weather and another for summer riding.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 03:45:24 AM »
..i like having the radiator up front...

..warm air come out the handlebar cowling onto your hands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 01:25:21 AM »
Vivo, I think I would have needed the bottle of brandy BEFORE the ride in typhoon weather.  You're a brave soul!
Not really a brave soul, just want to get home to the kids in a jiffy. :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()