Author Topic: Weight  (Read 1733 times)

shows

• View Profile
Weight
« on: March 22, 2009, 10:58:20 PM »
I acknowledge that the weight of the 500 is not a new topic but I want to add another perspective; I keep hearing that the scoot is good AFTER an adjustment for its weight and I'm not sure I know what this means. I assume the writer is directing his comments from the perspective of moving from a lighter ride i.e., 175/250 etc. What about moving from HEAVIER ride?

I've had heavier bikes including a Yamaha Venture Royale and that is one heavy machine, Harley dressers - another heavyweight and others that are in that class. I ride a Suzuki Burgman 400 and am buying a 500ri ABS and the weight difference isn't overwhelming at an additional 45 lbs. ( The Suzuki is 440 lbs. and the 500ri ABS is 485 lbs.). Without ABS, the difference is even less at 473 or 12 fewer lbs.

I guess my point is that a potential 500 rider shouldn't be deterred by a heavier scoot. Riders with a good sense of balance and maybe a shaved seat shouldn't allow the weight of the scoot to be an issue.

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
Re: Weight
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 02:28:01 AM »
This thing feels like a lightweight compared to my Goldwing...  I may also add it is very well balanced and the weight distribution seems to be fairly low.  It makes my wifes Scarabeo feel top heavy and the Scarabeo is actually lighter.  It's all in the balance and they have done a good job with the Xciting.  I am height challanged and when sitting on the seat I am on my tip toes and have had no problems except for trying to back up when it's a slight upgrade.  Just try to avoid those situations.  It would be nice it it was a bit narrower where you put your feet down, but I wouldn't let that or the weight keep me from buying or enjoying this fine machine.  It's all relative, what are you used to riding... and ether way you do adjust to it.  Get out and enjoy it, the more I ride mine the more I love it.  ;D
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

Rozz

• Picture taken on Mount Smokey, Cape Breton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 03:31:27 AM »
I am interested in weight because it has definitely been a deterrant for me in increasing the power of my ride.  My husband keeps telling me it's all about balance and weight has nothing to do with it.  I think he is right.
I moved from a 150 to a 250 last year and never felt comfortable.  The 250 was fast enough and didn't blow around too much but I really felt vulnerable on the highway.  It weighed about 340 lbs.
I was afraid the Xciting would be too heavy for me, but the weight seems to be low down and I can't believe how well balanced this machine is.  If anything, I think it's easier than the lighter bike and I feel much better on it.
I have to be a little careful in tight corners because I  have knee pain and I worry a little about getting into a spot I can't back out of.  On the other hand, I am tall, and reaching the ground is easy. 
I agree that this appears to be a very fine bike.
Rozz
2008 Xciting 500ri (Hers)
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900cc (His)

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 01:40:33 PM »
Lucky you are tall.  I am not so lucky and I am on my toes when trying to back up.  I am very careful not to pull into spots where I have to back up any type of hill.  On the other hand I have also noticed that since the kickstand holds the bike in a more upright position (which some people I see do not like) it makes it seem a lot lighter when picking it up off the kickstand.  It also has a well designed center stand and pops up onto the center stand without a lot of effort. 

Took advantage of the warm weather yesterday an had time to ride about 100 miles before the cold front hit and the storms started.  This morning its 37 degrees with cold rain and possible snow showers.  Glad I got to ride yesterday.

We got the two way radios working good so we were able to talk scooter to scooter while riding as well.  That was nice as well.
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()