Author Topic: Next ride after Kymco xciting 250? Motorcycle or bigger scoot?  (Read 3684 times)

slunkmonky

• View Profile

I've been very happy with my 2006 Kymco 250 xciting but most of the reason that I bought it was that I found it for a price I could afford without financing and I fit on it (6'2 200lb). Also, I wanted soemthing that if, as a first time motorcyclist, I killed, damaged, or just didnt' like, I could just resell it or take the loss and not have a note to pay off etc.

Now that I'm sold on the concept of 2 wheeled transport I'd prefer to move up in the world and don't mind getting under a loan since I know I won't end up being the guy who is paying for a motorcycle and not using it.

My question is, although I think stepping up to the Downtown 300 or xciting 500 would be great, I feel like I might just want a motorcycle.

For anyone who has driven a motorcycle before and also scooted, what is the trade off?

Off the bat I know that I'd miss my under seat storage and my big back seat. I can store and strap down quite a bit of gear. I actually bought a small grill and a bag of charcoal on my 250 (granted home depot is a mile away.)

I'm sure I'd also miss my CVT in start and stop traffic.

On the other hand, having my motor up in the frame and just letting the suspension deal with bumps might make for a much smoother ride. On the scooter I feel like bumpy roads can get pretty bad.

I can see myself motorcycling as my main form of transport for the forseeable future. If anybody has had both a scooter and motorcycle, what do you notice you like or dislike when you compare the two?
Kymco xciting 250 '06

MaryK

• View Profile
Re: Next ride after Kymco xciting 250? Motorcycle or bigger scoot?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 07:19:48 PM »
If you really want to know the difference, you will have to find a motorcycle to ride.
Assuming you don't have a friend with one to loan, youhave 2 easy choices.
1.  Take the MSF training, a 2-day course on motorcycle safety and they furnish the 250cc motorcycle for you to ride on.
2.  Find a dealer that rents motorcycles and rent 1 for a day.  There is one in the DFW area for example.

Both have a cost of about $150 and the safety training course will save you $ on yout insurance.

The major difference that we notice is the location of the feet and knees.  Both are fun.  The MC can be smoother, but
then you have the hassle of the clutch and gears.

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 01:46:05 AM »
I've had both. I enjoy the ride a lot more on the scooter. Maybe that is because I rode a motorcycle when I was much younger and now that I don't have the typical 20 something death-wish approach to life I can appreciate the world at a slower and less complicated pace. And I just love the efficiency of the CVT. So much simpler. Why not ride both? I have 3 sizes of scooter and use them all. Nice to have a back-up.

I also like the people who ride scooters more than bike riders. They seem to get it. Not many people can get excited about a lawn mower-sized engine. :P

Not sure what these folks are riding, bike or scoot.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 08:15:31 PM »
I have 2 scooters and 2 motorcycles.  I rode motorcycles over 30 years before getting my first scooter about a year and a half ago.  They both have their advantages but I now ride my scooters much more than my motorcycles because they are much more fun and practical for the type of riding I do most of the time.  However, I don't plan on giving up motorcycle riding anytime soon.  You really should try riding a motorcycle.  My recommendation is to have at least one motorcycle as well as a scooter ;D
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

orepicker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 03:41:45 AM »
I've ridden a variety of both scooters and motor cycles.  I recently checked out a Honda Rebel 250 and decided to stick with the scooter. I ride a Kymco People 250. I don't go on the freeway, but have plenty of power and speed everywhere else.  My usual response is that the People 250 rides like a cycle (performance) and sits like a scoot. I like the ease of getting on and off with the flat floor since I'm getting a little longer in the tooth, (read Old) and my legs don't swing over the cycle seat like they used to. I also like that there is more storage on the scooter when I make a quick run to the store. Now if I could just figure out how to carry my Beagle.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 05:50:34 AM »
I'd like to make a couple of points which are based on my opinions only.  When and if you go shopping/testing/ motorcycles, there will be the temptation of buying a crotch rocket type bike.  (originally called cafe racers, which are based on actual road racing geometry) You know the type; handlebars mounted on the fork tubes, foot pegs mounted rearward, laying down riding position. They usually have fairings but not always.  They caught on big time because of the "race look". Heck, even the guys who ride road racers for a living don't ride them for more than a typical race duration. Most guys who buy these for the street didn't think about this before buying.  I feel sort of sorry for them when I see them leaning on the bars.  Of course if you're not actually racing, you practically HAVE to lean on the bars most of the time which is contradictory to the bike's design and forces you into a semi "push up" position the entire time you're riding.  In other words, these bikes are not good commuters or tourers, or, for that matter, even for joy riding, as far as comfort is concerned.  I would even say they are unsafe as typically ridden.  So unless you're into racing or looking like a racer, look for something powerful and good handling with an upright seating position that doesn't strain your body after 30 min of riding.  ;) 

Another type which is in vogue these days is the "cruiser" type motorcycle.  These are virutually all trying to copy Harly Davidson design which is ancient but currently "in style" due to the supposed machismo image projected.   ::)  Steering head at chest level, grips at almost shoulder level, seat sunken down.  A geometry which is about as bad in the other direction as the crotch rockets.  Yes, you'll feel comfortable on one but, in my opinion, not in as good control as when seated on a well designed motorcycle.

Since these two styles make up what is probably a majority of all new motorcycles today, it seems it's difficult to find what I would call a proper design.  I walk into a motorcycle shop and it's either crotch rockets, cruisers, or dirt bikes.   

Now I haven't actually shopped for motorcycles in a good while but I have seen glimpses of some contemporary ones that appear well designed.  Either pure street bikes or I also like the dual sport design which is popular now.

there's my three cent's worth.  ;D

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 05:59:50 AM by Hoolander2 »

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 07:00:01 AM »
I will buy a big sporty motorcycle (which I don't really need) in order to impress people I don't like! lol ;D

Kidding aside, I'm really considering an automatic motorcycle. These are getting popular these days.

BigOrange

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 04:58:01 AM »
i bought a 2007 Xciting 250.  My friends asked why i bought a scooter when i could have had a motorcycle?

i am a big guy and i fit on the 250. It has a ton of storage space. I have to go through enough calculations to survive on the road already and I am not as young as i once was. I will buy another bike at some time in the future.  i spend my life in town in stop and go traffic.  The scooter fits my life and lifestyle and I find it an enjoyable way move across the city.  It does not hurt that i find it difficult to do anything other than smile while i am riding.  I might buy the 500 cc next time.
I wish I could ride more and drive less!
2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 04:36:18 PM »
I'd like to make a couple of points which are based on my opinions only.  When and if you go shopping/testing/ motorcycles, there will be the temptation of buying a crotch rocket type bike.  (originally called cafe racers, which are based on actual road racing geometry) You know the type; handlebars mounted on the fork tubes, foot pegs mounted rearward, laying down riding position. They usually have fairings but not always.  They caught on big time because of the "race look". Heck, even the guys who ride road racers for a living don't ride them for more than a typical race duration. Most guys who buy these for the street didn't think about this before buying.  I feel sort of sorry for them when I see them leaning on the bars.  Of course if you're not actually racing, you practically HAVE to lean on the bars most of the time which is contradictory to the bike's design and forces you into a semi "push up" position the entire time you're riding.  In other words, these bikes are not good commuters or tourers, or, for that matter, even for joy riding, as far as comfort is concerned.  I would even say they are unsafe as typically ridden.  So unless you're into racing or looking like a racer, look for something powerful and good handling with an upright seating position that doesn't strain your body after 30 min of riding.  ;) 

Another type which is in vogue these days is the "cruiser" type motorcycle.  These are virutually all trying to copy Harly Davidson design which is ancient but currently "in style" due to the supposed machismo image projected.   ::)  Steering head at chest level, grips at almost shoulder level, seat sunken down.  A geometry which is about as bad in the other direction as the crotch rockets.  Yes, you'll feel comfortable on one but, in my opinion, not in as good control as when seated on a well designed motorcycle.

Since these two styles make up what is probably a majority of all new motorcycles today, it seems it's difficult to find what I would call a proper design.  I walk into a motorcycle shop and it's either crotch rockets, cruisers, or dirt bikes.   

Now I haven't actually shopped for motorcycles in a good while but I have seen glimpses of some contemporary ones that appear well designed.  Either pure street bikes or I also like the dual sport design which is popular now.

there's my three cent's worth.  ;D

Sport bikes are not all alike, some are very comfortable.  I put 66,000 miles on a Kawasaki EX500 and as much as 700 miles per day. 

You also missed adventure bikes which are usually very comfortable and practical street bikes with varying abilities to ride dirt roads or off road. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 08:46:11 PM »
Sport bikes are not all alike, some are very comfortable.  I put 66,000 miles on a Kawasaki EX500 and as much as 700 miles per day. 

Well, EX500 is in a category of its own and definitely not what I would call a sports bike.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 09:26:21 PM »
About as sport bike as they come...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Ninja_500R

BigOrange

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 11:05:06 PM »
I would really like to buy the myroad 700. The kymco version and not the reskinned BMW version with different heads and efi. I am not sure kymco wants to sell me that scooter in the us.

I wish I could ride more and drive less!
2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 01:57:25 AM »
Different strokes for different folks! ;) I got the scoot because of practical reasons. Nothing more (space, comfort, fuel consumption, style, sport, etc.) However, sometimes I want to do "other" stuff like cruising around town at 5-10mph where people can hear that low "potato-potato-potato" sound coming from two slash-cut pipes from a V-twin or the "woom-woom-woooooooom!!" sound from a titanium can fixed to an inline twin-cam four! or the "brlhrraaaghtthuuoo!!!" blast from a straight pipe of a singe thumper!!! Whatever you want (not need), go for it!!! life is short! love it!

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 03:57:48 PM »
Slunkmonky:  I took my MSF test on some kind of 250mc.  The tank was all dented, the mirrors and turnsignals were things of the past and the distance between the foot peg and gear shifter much shorter due to some bent metal.  Yet, I still got through it.

I decided a long time ago I would either be motorcycle or scoot.  It has to do with automatic -vs- shifter.  I don't want to confuse one with the other which would lead to an unfortunate incident.  But then again, that's just my preference.

If you already have an Xciting 250, why don't you just upsize to the 500?  That's what I would do. 

I also don't worry about the image.  I've caught enough crap from my fellow workers who have "real motorcycles" as they call them to where it's toughened my hide. 

Good luck.  Whatever you choice, what's important is that you ride.

Take care.

Don in KC

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 05:49:33 PM »
I didn't mean to offend crotch rocket riders though, reading back, I suppose I did.  :-[  Actually I admire and like those type of bikes very much. For handling, acceleration, and pure speed you can't do better.  Love the looks too!  I was just trying to give a heads up to a newbie about some pitfalls. 

If I could afford to own a collection of motorcycles, you can bet I'd have several crotch rockets!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()