Author Topic: Long distance riding  (Read 11242 times)

FosterG

• View Profile
Long distance riding
« on: April 03, 2012, 04:18:42 PM »
I'm looking to purchase a used People s200.  My intent is to ride to a few rally's.  I would need to ride 300-400 miles (non-interstate) a day to reach the rally's.   Is this a smart idea on an air cooled scooter?  If so, how comfortable or uncomfortable would I be?   Would like to hear others experiences.  Thanks!         

Carol

• Brainerd, Minnesota
  • Look me up on facebook !
    • View Profile
Re: Long distance riding
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 05:06:36 PM »

I scoot around on a PeopleS200 and I find it very comfortable, this being typed, I have not been on any "long" distance rides (> 100 mi). Rosy does well up and down hills, accelleration from stop lights is my favorite part! Leaves my husband in the dust!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to skid in broadside , thoroughly used up , totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!!"

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 08:07:41 PM »
To ride 300-400 miles/day and enjoy it, you would need a touring scooter.
They usually start at 400c and go up to 650cc.

SO, look for a used touring scooter after you learn to ride on a smaller scooter (150-250cc)

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

slugrocket rob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 11:19:40 PM »
My longest ride was about 300 miles in one day on my vespa p200 (on my way to Ameravespa in Seattle a few years back). I also have a People s200 and find it very comfortable and I would think it would be good for a long days ride. What Rally are you going to?

FosterG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 01:21:30 PM »
I am looking to ride to this year's Ameravespa.  I currently ride a 150cc Roketa, which I keep close to home.  I have over 5000 miles on it, but think it's best not to attempt along distance ride on it.  I have my eye on a used people 200.  I just can't decide to go with air cooled or go for a liquid cooled scoot???

slugrocket rob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 03:37:25 PM »
Have fun at Amerivesp. It looks like it will be a great event this year!!

cabinman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 08:58:48 PM »
I have an People S200, rode it to my lake cabin last summer on a warm day, about 60 miles each way.
I'm looking for a larger windscreen now, because wind in the face/helmet wears you out.
I read some other posts and agree a bigger scoot would be better for long rides.
At 60 mph I felt like I was close to red lining. My scoot is happier under 50 mph.

KScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 12:49:27 PM »
Foster G, i have ridden my People s200 about 1.5 hours each way in one day on Interstate roads. I have a large windshield and weigh 250. I can pretty much get to 55 mph in any wind but WITH the wind can go up to 10 mph more. I ride this scoot all over town for short rides. For me the speed is adequate for an interstate road but just barely. Vibration does make me uncomfortable. And I would appreciate some more lower back support for longer rides. I stopped once for gas on each leg of the trip.

Bottom line is i would pick a bigger scooter or a real motorcycle for serious touring. For me I would be concerned about the usual touring issues like vibration, good back support, a good suspension and some form of speed control that let me take my hand off the throttle from time to time. I would take a hard look at the new 2012 Honda scooter coming out or the big BMW 650 cc 2013 model due for release later this year.

carloscuny

• View Profile
Long distance riding
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 09:53:41 PM »
Reading an old post I would like to continue the subject.

Planning a 3000Km (one way) so 6000Km trip from the Netherlands to the Ukrain and maybe beyond, next year as soon as weather permits. I have recently bought the People-s 200 i (afi). I also have a older cygnus 125 yamaha. Not sure which one yet.

Some manuals state to not run to long an let cool down the engine?
Well this seems strange. If not overworked I do not see this limitation, anyone?
How long can you run a scoot without stopping?
Do not overload, travel light. Follow a fast truck...carefully, be surprised by the milage you get...

Well you have to fill your fuel ( around 5-6 liters x say 33 Km Will bring me 200 Km on one tank. Not to much. So after an hour or two stop and fill. Maybe bring an extra jerrycan. Quickfill an go- especially at night and fuelstations closed or far between....
I can see ourselves are the limitation. Take a good rest and enjoy your ride too.

I did Southern-France once from Holland a few times so I know what it is like, even with a moped.
Oil checks are very very important. Less then 1 litre seperates you from disaster.
So after two fills stop, take a cup of coffee and check your level.

My experience with small scoots is you should always top them to the max.
And of course replace every 2000 or whatever is written in you manual.
This means you should replace the oil at some point of the journey yourself.
So you should have the oil and tools, and catch and dispose correctly the old...
Use good semi or full synthetics correct grade (for season) always
So take with you the right oil in good Quantity. I have not seen yet the full scheme with temperatures (seasons, ambient temp) and oil recommendations for my people-s 200I anyone?

Get well prepared, spare lamps, sparkplug, and tools, fuses, gascable, tape, wire things like that,  some experience by servicing these things yourself, including tire-punctures and things? A food light when you drive at night as I do. Good locks, alarm and luggagebox etc etc etc
A good insurance, dealers on the route? Good (digital) manual.
Off course your scoot should be well maintained and checked. Not one day before you leave but well in advance, so you can correct anything well before your departure.

Well who can give me some more advice on this trip? I did some 1500km before and like to hear your experiences. Anyone?

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 01:20:45 AM »
I rode from Jacksonville Florida to Mantoloking nj, 1100 miles, in three days on S200.

They were long days but not hard on the body. The biggest pain was the refueling.
It seemed like I was stopping for gas every hour or two......
Oh wait I was !

It's no touring BMW but it was a hell of a lot of fun. Go for it you only live once.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 06:39:37 PM »
I rode from Jacksonville Florida to Mantoloking nj, 1100 miles, in three days on S200.

They were long days but not hard on the body. The biggest pain was the refueling.
It seemed like I was stopping for gas every hour or two......
Oh wait I was !

It's no touring BMW but it was a hell of a lot of fun. Go for it you only live once.

Be Big,
AMAC

How fatigued did you get, you've got my exact bike except my wind shield is a full one? That's a bold ride my friend, what roads did you take, certainly not I 95.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 11:36:14 PM »
How fatigued did you get, you've got my exact bike except my wind shield is a full one? That's a bold ride my friend, what roads did you take, certainly not I 95.
Man o' man - what a pretty scoot!
This would be my new scoot if/when I replace my LIKE 200i. DID you take the interstate?
Tell us  more about your ride - this is an epic ride on a scoot of this size!
Any pix of your trip?
Ride safe!
Regards, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 01:41:12 AM »
beautiful scoot...and bags....  ;)

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 09:50:10 AM »

It wants all that bad. As long as you go in knowing that it will be a little "physical". If I had it my way I would have added a day.

I took highways 301, 17 .......and I95.
Because I was time pressed I ran 301-17 into So Carolina. First day was a Sunday and I ran 150miles on I 95 early in the morning. 95 is pretty empty in the Carolina's early except for a couple of stretches around cities. That scoot was streaming but never burped !

That first day also set the tone. I would get on the road at about 4:30 am and run I95 for about 150-200 miles. Off 95 before 8-8:30am and back to 301. With a couple of hundred done early in the day it makes for easy going once off highway. It also keeps that air cooled scoot off the highway in the heat of the day.

Same deal each day. At emporia va I headed east thru norfolk, up the eastern shore and over the Delaware memorial bridge. That bridge was the only place I felt really at risk. Bad timing had me there late in the day, wind honking scoot fighting up the hill and drivers driving as they do up there ! That was after convincing the bridge cops I just "f-up" and this was the only way across. Playing the fool worked.

From there the back roads to the beach. It was a hoot but the way back I took.......the trailer !
Just didn't have time 4-5 days would be perfect. With extra time I95 can be avoided.

Ill need to look for my pics, been a few years.

My choice would be a BV350 for the trip. Add a big screen and this scoot has what I like. Big wheels, step thru and enough liquid cooled power. But I would do it on a Rukus if I had he time. Life's short.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

johnson

• Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 11:45:15 AM »
Nice advice AMAC.  I only do interstates when traffic is light.  Rush hour adds a whole 'nother mind game to riding with cars.  I've got a PS250 and it has about 18 extra mph top end over the PS200.  Liquid cooled is nice also cruising in the heat of the day.  If the point is getting there and time is an issue I take the cage.  Otherwise take back highways and enjoy the ride.  Racing cross country and not seeing the sites isn't my style. 

Too bad they aren't making the PS models anymore.  It's hard to get info about working on them.  I got mine used also cause the price was cheaper than anything else.  First choice was the Sym HD200.  At least the plastics are easy to remove on the SYM.  But I do like the extra power of the 250. 
People S250 - 2007
Honda Metropolitan - 2002
Lance Cali Classic 125 - 2012
Peace Verona 2012 - sold
Lance Cali Classic 50 - 2011 - sold

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()