Author Topic: More power to go up a hill?!?  (Read 6826 times)

shermanfunk

• '09 Agility 50
    • View Profile
More power to go up a hill?!?
« on: March 24, 2009, 07:40:30 AM »
I bought an '09 Agility 50 brand new. i've put around 1500 miles on it and i like it. It consistently goes 40 mph on flat ground, but as soon as i try to go up any hill, even slight inclines, there is absolutely no power. I live at the top of a hill, and everyday it is so embarrassing going up the hill, as I get down to about 10 mph!
HERE'S MY STRAIGHT UP QUESTION: How can I get a little more power out of this scooter???
I've been doing some researching, and everyone seems to have different ideas about what to upgrade on the Agility 50's...
Should I do the variator bushing and racing CDI? New exhaust?
Plus, i don't know how to do any of this myself. I did not get the bag of extra parts with my scooter, i'm probably going to call the place I got it from and ask them about that...
Please, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Agil

• View Profile
    • 4Tskuteri
Re: More power to go up a hill?!?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 02:48:46 PM »
just 80 ccm kit, nothing more or less...

results: for example - before kit on my example uphill with my 95 kilos speed was 15 km\ hour - after kit it is 35 - 42 km\ hour

final speed does not change much with kit installation

forget the race variators, carbs...and so for speed...things which worked for me for final speed over 80 km\hour are: kit, vespa ET4 belt, and K&N style filter....( of course, after derestriction - variator,CDI and main jet 88 )
owner\founder www.4Tskuteri.com  forum :-) ..visit !

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 05:50:30 PM »
Of course, if you go with the 80cc kit wave bye-bye to your engine warranty.

That must be some hill! I've owned several 50's and the most any of them ever fell to was 20mph even with my 220 pound carcus on board. I've always got through the slow uphill ride by saying two mantras:
  • 80 miles-per-gallon, 80 miles-per-gallon, 80 miles-per-gallon, and
  • but just think of the downhill side, ZINNNNNNNNNNNNG! ;D

Seriously though, 10 seems extremely slow for any hill. Have you spoken with your dealer? Remember, it is only a 3 cubic inch motor.
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

kymco_agility_50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 02:34:30 AM »
I got my 2008 Agility 50 running like it is supposed to. Even though my vino will run circles around it up a hill. I was told a 2 stroke would pull a hill faster than a 4 stroke. Anyhow, my agility has about 6200km, and it would fall to about 15 mph up a moderate grade. What I found out with mine was, it was sticking in high gear, and thus was trying to climb up the hill in high gear. I removed the variator and discovered that the rollers had flat spots on them all the way around. Instead of rolling, guess they were sliding and binding. I buffed the plate on the back, cleaned inside of the inside variator pulley and installed new rollers. She climbs the same hill now at 28mph.   ;D  But my vino climbs a steep hill at 32mph. 8)

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 11:25:38 AM »
warranty whats that. ;D If you have your bike more then 6 months and you took care of it realy good I would think its save to get more power from it. besides warrraty good for ownly 2 years. mine is almost up but im keeping insurance on it to cover what ever.

x-seed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 10:26:13 PM »
i just bought some lighter variator rollers.

5.5g. (JASIL top racing rollers)

it´s a all new scooter.

with my light weight (65 kg):

much more agressive, great aceleration, i have a smaal hill just outside my house , and it could not go further than 30 km/h, now it goes 40 km/h.

just love the way the scoot behaves now.

the top speed did not decrease as i have read somewhere.

the lighter rollers do not decrease top speed, they just give more aceleration.

the scoot just boost up right away.

glad i got them.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 10:14:10 PM »
...well, i'm kinda new at all this...though I've had my Agility for 18 months now...I just installed a Malossi Multivar variator that has 9 gr. rollers...they sent me the wrong one, but I installed it anyway, and a new "standard" drive belt...Initial takeoff is pretty good, and I've seen 52 mph down some of my favorite hills...43-47 on flat land without a terrible head-wind, and I haven't dropped much below 35 on most hills...I have over 30,000 kilometers on my '08...

peace

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 10:26:32 PM »
...FINALLY..got in touch with the dealer that sold me my variator...

..they were closed last week for an extended vacation...

..Scooter sales must be goood...hhmmm...

..but I told them they sent me the wrong one....

..so they already shipped me a set of 5.5 gram rollers...

sweeeet...

Kenho21

• I live my life 0.402336 kilometers at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
I put 5.5 gram rollers in my agility and it did seem to give me a little more speed up hill.
2009 Kymco Agility 50- 72cc Airsal kit, Uni Free-Flow Air Filter, Main Jet 120, 1500 Contra Spring, 6g Rollers, Malossi Multivar Variator, NCY Exhaust, NCY 80cc Camshaft, Cut CDI, Smooth Boss Drive, MRP Ignition Coil

kabory

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 02:01:49 PM »
You should change your clutch springs, the little ones. It will keep your scoot at a lower gear longer so You will have more power going up hills.  Made a big difference for me when I had my Honda Met.

here is a link for ya

http://www.martinracingdealer.com/SPD/n-mp-03405--800007FB-1178919713.jsp
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 02:15:51 PM by kabory »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 04:53:03 PM »
You should change your clutch springs, the little ones. It will keep your scoot at a lower gear longer so You will have more power going up hills.  Made a big difference for me when I had my Honda Met.

here is a link for ya

http://www.martinracingdealer.com/SPD/n-mp-03405--800007FB-1178919713.jsp

Did you go with stronger or weaker springs...

kabory

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 06:52:30 PM »
stronger springs, the stronger the spring the longer the trans will stay in a lower gear.(better for uphill climbing), Its like a manual clutch in a car, you would have no power if you started out in 5th gear., With a scooter you climb to high gear quickly, thats why they have no up hill power.  So a stronger spring makes the clutch take longer to get to top gear.  The lower gears have more power for hill climbing.  They will however take away from your launch speed. Mine launch was not really affected that much, but I only used the next stronger spring than stock, which were the blue ones.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 07:00:20 PM »
...cool..I'm gonna give that a try..I weigh @ 230 lbs.  I'm pleased as punch with my take-off and top-end speeds...I could use a little help up th' hills...

kabory

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 08:04:03 PM »
You wont be dissappointed, When I was riding my Met, I was 255 lbs, I used 5 gram weights and blue clutch springs and could do 35 uphills

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 08:32:35 PM »
..is the met the little honda with the flat faring??

..I busted one of those yesterday evening...lol..

..I already changed out my variator with a Malossi...5.5 gram rollers...It came with a longer main clutch spring...

..I'm already getting 35 up most hills...I want better than that...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()