Author Topic: Handlebars crooked  (Read 2054 times)

Steve85

• View Profile
Handlebars crooked
« on: April 07, 2012, 04:35:58 AM »
I just bought a Gv250 new, no miles a few weeks ago. I have about  150 miles on it now and I noticed the bars seem to be off to the left when riding straight. I took the plastic shroud off the bars and seen a bolt going through to secure it in place. Does that mean they are unadjustable?

I'm new to scooters and never seen bars connected like that so I am unsure if I can adjust them or take it back to the dealer and have them replace them since it has a 2 year warranty.

Any info is good info.
"lets meet at the gas pumps and see who laughs then"

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
Re: Handlebars crooked
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 12:47:33 PM »
I bought mine and it had been wrecked and the front fork was bent.  The shocks were ok,  but the actual shock clamp mount was what was bent.   There is a bicycle type head and bearing set-up.  However there is a cross bolt that the handlebars mount into fork tube.  After a year, the head bearing nut loosened up and it had to be retightened.  I actually drilled a hole thru the plastic shroud to access that bolt.  As for why it's tracking off course,  that's really up in the air.   You can search the internet for parts lists and diagrams  (i.e. Stadium Parts,  Kymco 123 / Kymco Parts / Graqndvista 250) or
find the entire service manual on the internet.

Ray Man

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 04:05:47 AM »
I had a Yamaha Route 66 (250 Virago) with the same problem.  It had been wrecked.  It had a bent triple tree, I think Kymco calls it a steering stem.  Check to see if the two front shock tubes are parallel.  If they are not, this could be your problem.  Another indication would be that you may notice that the front tire will not center on the front fender. Good luck.

Ray Man

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 04:12:03 AM »
By the way, you can go to www.kymcoparts123.com and get an exploded view of any component on your Kymco and you can order it from them as well.  I haven't ordered anything through them, so I cannot speak for the service. But, I do like the availability of the diagrams.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 04:36:34 AM »
Pull a tape measure from bar end to axel nut on both sides. That will show if they are true. If not you need to find the bent part. It could also be the shock is higher in one tree than the other. Or just a bent bar. I remove the grip, and slide a pipe over the bar to apply enough force to straighten. Let the steering stop work while you bend the bar
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()