Author Topic: Kymco TopBoy ignition switch problem (worn out?) - Removal of bolts?  (Read 1922 times)

straatvark

• View Profile
Hi

My Kymco Top Boy start easily if I kick start it.

When I use the ignition switch, it only start (almost immediately) if I 'wiggle' the key slightly while holding the starter button in. If I turn the key first, leave it and then press the starter button - then the starter turn but the engine don't start. I suspect it don't get a spark in that situation.

I assume it can be one of two things:
1) Faulty ignition coil.
2) Worn out ignition switch

The ignition coil should be easy to replace.
Although I can find a replacement ignition switch (link below), it seems both bolts used to hold it in place on the frame of the Kymco don't have a shape for a spanner. (Rather that the head used to tighten the bolt in the factory sheared of at a certain 'correct' tension.)

So i have two questions:
1) Is my assumptions on the two possible causes correct?
2) Any advice on how to remove the factory fitted ignition switch from the frame?

Thanks, g

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Kymco/Top_Boy_50/00-05/picture/Ignition_Switch_Plus_Lock_Set/

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: Kymco TopBoy ignition switch problem (worn out?) - Removal of bolts?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 11:26:31 PM »
If you have to wiggle the key to get it to start...it's the ignition switch.
You are correct that the factory bolts "shear" off at a certain torque to make them harder to remove...theft deterrent.
You can easily back them out with a flat blade screwdriver if you use a dremel with a cut-off wheel to cut a slot in them.
Just take your time with the dremel and make a nice straight, centered slot.

straatvark

• View Profile
Re: Kymco TopBoy ignition switch problem (worn out?) - Removal of bolts?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 04:13:47 PM »
Thanks Shaka. Added a Dremel to my toolbox today...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()