Author Topic: My agility is making noises (video included)  (Read 6957 times)

baddi

• Top speed: 38 km/h and fuel economy: 50 km/l
    • View Profile
    • My project fuel injection gallery
My agility is making noises (video included)
« on: April 12, 2012, 10:16:26 AM »
Hey guys, my agility has been acting wierd.

It makes knocking and rattling sounds and when up in speed, it vibrates funny.
Also, it wont run bigger jet than 80 (82 makes it unstable at full throttle) and the line from the valve cover leads oil into the filter, even though though this is a dry paper filter.

Here's the video :)
I've tried:
adjusting valves.
Resetting chain tentioner.
80 and 82 main jet.
adjusting swimmer height (not sure if i moved it to the right height)
checking if camshaft is properly alligned with crackshaft.
Also checked if the variator was the problem by removing it and running the bike (see the other video on the same youtube channel)

None of this has fixed any problems, and it drives me mad!. Mad mad mad, like a madman.
Any ideas? :D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:26:52 AM by baddi »
First Kymco agility 50 (2008) 11.000+ km (dead)
Second kymco agility 50 (2010) 20.000+ km. Project Fuel Injection. Stolen.
Kymco K-pipe 125 (2014) 7400 km.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: My agility is making noises (video included)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 12:29:08 AM »
He doesnt sound too healthy. Thats a strange noise it makes when you rev it up unless its just a bad microphone on the camera? Your engine looks pretty clean on top anyway but how is the small U shaped chrome pipe on top of the valve cover? A while ago mine had a small leak in it and it did have that same tapping/clicking type sound on idle. Mine ran fine apart from the noise and bugged me for a week or so cos i didnt see the leak since it was a hole in it underneath. Maybe check that and make sure that same pipe it bolted down and not leaking where the ends bolt on to the engine.

As for the oil in the filter, they all seem to do this. I think the oily stuff comes in from the rubber breather hose that goes from the valve cover to the back of the airbox. I ran an open filter for a bit and this hose was left open as a breather cos i didnt have the stock airbox to connect it to. It did leak out the same condensed oil vapour liquid that i would find in the airbox. I drilled a 1/8 hole in the bottom corner of the airbox to let it leak out and not build up to damage my filter.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 12:48:54 AM »
hmmmm my Ag seems to be doing the same?!?!  i think the fact nearly all of the engine is clagged in oil because of a monumental leak may be a clue as to what has gone wrong... other than that im am kinda clueless as to what is wrong with mine same as you.
Courage is measured in how much tyre you use.

2010 Kymco Agility 72..Naraku 72cc race cylinder...Naraku 50cc race head
Naraku Race CDi...Polini free flow filter...Motoforce Racing Carb
NGK Irirdium plug...Naraku Race Variator...Malossi fly clutch
Stage 6 cnc clutch bell...1500 Rpm torque sprin

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 01:14:24 AM »
...damn, that sounds seriously BAD!!!...

....what spec did you adjust valves too?
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 02:22:51 AM »
if its a older scoot I would check the oil pump sometimes the wheel on the pump gos bad and if your not geting the right amout of oil pumped  in to the motor it well sound bad and even maybe blow the motor.

baddi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 08:59:38 AM »
Its bought in december, and has run 3300 km, so it is quite new despite the rust from this winter.
I've checked valves and crankshaft, but haven't had time to check if it still say the sound, because of rain.
The valves are adjusted to 0,1 and often a little bit tight to get as close to the ideal 0,08 as possible. :)

As to the valves, i dont think that this is a problem, as i've checked and re-adjusted them every 1000 km when i also changed oil.

I ran the starter motor without the valves cover on to make sure that the oil pump worked, and oil flowed as it should. :)

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 01:33:36 PM »
i think the valves are supposed to be adjusted to 0.4mm if the valves are too tight they will keep tightening and you run the risk of blowing the valves out. i found mine ran like a bag'o'sh**e when the valves were tight so i had em loosened and it fookin flew but unfortunatly they were tight for too long and now i have ongoing problems  ::)

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 01:52:20 PM »
dude redo the valves . top valve is 02 and the bottom is 04 you want you can do a lose 03 if its hard to do.

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 02:00:24 PM »
dude redo the valves . top valve is 02 and the bottom is 04 you want you can do a lose 03 if its hard to do.

okie dokie first time i seen that. always people are saying 0.4mm valve clearence, i never realised that it wasnt both valves. you sir have added to my knowledge  8)  [top 0.2mm] [bottom 0.4mm]

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
okie dokie first time i seen that. always people are saying 0.4mm valve clearence, i never realised that it wasnt both valves. you sir have added to my knowledge  8)  [top 0.2mm] [bottom 0.4mm]

oooooooooo ya.......... try it you well like it............... learned that one my self a while back most gy6 scooters are like that and every time I took the scoot in for repairs I asked what they sat the valves at.
and they said 02 and 04. so I left it that way.  and some times if you cant get the bottom one just right a lose 03 is good.   lol most of us like it tight but lose is good just had to say that.,,,,,,,,lol

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 05:26:35 PM »
ah ok i will do that when i have the bike in bits to be sorted out, i have a friend who knows quite abit about ye olde Kymmis. once i have the engine sorted out then i can see about getting the cams and cranks and just about everything else sorted.  maybe even a new carb while im at it.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 07:14:50 PM »
Yup, re-gap the valves 1st to the correct gap to see if that makes it any better. I alway did .04 on both as it says in the workshop manual but i need to do mine in at the next oil change so i may look into blues suggestion on .02 &.04 and try that out.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 01:53:40 PM »
..valve clearance is .04mm...

..which is roughly equal .00157"...

..adjust valve clearance with a COOL engine!..
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 11:44:10 PM »
I would have to suggest pulling the jug to inspect side play on the big end con rod, and the wrist pin bearings on the small end. You can test for free play with a stop in the spark plug hole first but it's not guaranteed you'll spot trouble that way.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

baddi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 03:23:52 PM »
Guys, first of all, about the valve clearance: i've never heard of anyone setting their scooter to over 0,15mm, as it is said everywhere (in manuals and at mechanics) that the valves are to be adjusted to 0,08mm. Earlier, Kymco said that their valves should be at 0,04mm, but after some trouble in germany, they changed the official statement to 0,08mm and that it is better to do a little bigger than smaller gap. :) I've done valves on both my agility's and set them for 0,08-0,1mm. I just re-adjusted them, so they aren't the problem.

I've just changed my tires and wheels from the old wheels with Iceman winter tires on to new wheels with standart tires on, and the vibrations have gone away. :)

One of my friends suggested that i could clean the carburator as i've had some trouble finding the right jet (80 running better than 82). Any tips for how i should clean it? With paper and ethanol or paper and gasoline or what? :D

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()