Author Topic: Heated grips on the DT  (Read 5348 times)

sc00tcrazy

• View Profile
Heated grips on the DT
« on: April 13, 2012, 03:36:48 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I have fallen in love with my first pair of gloves, which are a type of Rev'it summer gloves. They are thin leather gloves with good protection, but no padding and some perforation around the sides of the fingers. They have served me well since I started riding in August last year - through lots of rain (they dry out real fast), some mildly cool weather (Sydney), and some heat. I like that I retain good dexterity even while wearing them. If standing up I can fish things out of my kevlar jeans pockets.

I will get to talking about heated grips eventually. I have been considering options for windscreens to address the buffeting issues I am getting on my Downtown. One such screen was a large Givi screen and feedback suggested that it had some features (wider near base) that deflected some of the wind/rain off the hands when on the move. I don't generally feel the cold much and last year my hands were OK as almost all my commuting is 15km max in one direction - not really long enough to get really cold hands in Sydney weather. Having said that a little extra protection would not go astray, so I then started thinking about purchasing a set of separate hand wind deflectors or guards to protect my hands (if I didn't end up going the Givi option).

This eventually led me to consider heated grips. Oxford seems to be a well known brand and I have read reviews here and elsewhere about them. Couple of things:

* if I get them I will set them up with a relay and no connect them directly to the battery --> hopefully minimise probs with drained batteries etc.

* based on feedback elsewhere the Downtown battery potentially is a weak point and may need to be upgraded before hooking up the grips to ensure stability/performance

* if I go with the Oxford ones, which model to buy? There looks to be ones for scooters 50-250cc, ones for sports bikes, etc.

* have any of you any experience with any of the other established heated grips brands, like Hot Grips?

* I have not real experience hooking up electricals, but I can follow instructions and have a bit of common sense. Is this the sort of job I should attempt or leave to the professionals?

* if I can only get one - either hand guards or heated grips - which one would you recommend?

Thanks for any wisdom shared.

Ride safe.

fastnlight

• View Profile

ophelia

• View Profile
Re: Heated grips on the DT
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 09:00:47 AM »
I put a pair of Koso heated grips on my significant other's bike. Make sure you get the motorcycle/scooter set and not the ATV set. The motorcycle throttle grip has a larger inner diameter to accommodate the stock nylon throttle grip shaft, while the ATV set has the same inner diameter on both grips because ATVs have thumb throttles.

The hardest part was putting the new grips on the bars. They were a very tight fit on both sides. I did not need to use glue.

I tapped into the ignition switch for my power source. The ignition switch connector has two usable leads: red from the battery and black for ignition power. Use the black wire so the grips turn off with the ignition. For the ground wire, I affixed the ring terminal to the metal ignition body where a screw holds down a cable clamp.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 10:01:19 AM »
Pop down to the nearest bicycle shop next time you need to replace the
grips. It takes seconds..  ;D
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 03:41:22 PM »
  You need to find out how much wattage your scooter can put out. The heated grips will
tell you how much they draw (usually 20 - 50 watts). You can get an infinitely variable
controller to lower the draw too. A new battery won't help much as it is only used after all
the power the scoot can make is used up.

The throttle grip is sometimes moulded onto the throttle tube. If so you need to grind it off
 somehow (it can be difficult). I've used "hotgrips" and found them to be a bit hard. I use the
hand guards and heated grips as the guards keep the (cold) wind off and are fine for moderate
weather but then when it gets colder the heated grips warm you up nice.

It is handy having all this stuff always on the bike. I usually find I need them after riding all
day at 80 degrees and coming home after dark at 60 - 50 degrees and I didn't think ahead to
pack warm gloves.
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 05:01:35 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I have fallen in love with my first pair of gloves, which are a type of Rev'it summer gloves. They are thin leather gloves with good protection, but no padding and some perforation around the sides of the fingers. They have served me well since I started riding in August last year - through lots of rain (they dry out real fast), some mildly cool weather (Sydney), and some heat. I like that I retain good dexterity even while wearing them. If standing up I can fish things out of my kevlar jeans pockets.

I will get to talking about heated grips eventually. I have been considering options for windscreens to address the buffeting issues I am getting on my Downtown. One such screen was a large Givi screen and feedback suggested that it had some features (wider near base) that deflected some of the wind/rain off the hands when on the move. I don't generally feel the cold much and last year my hands were OK as almost all my commuting is 15km max in one direction - not really long enough to get really cold hands in Sydney weather. Having said that a little extra protection would not go astray, so I then started thinking about purchasing a set of separate hand wind deflectors or guards to protect my hands (if I didn't end up going the Givi option).

This eventually led me to consider heated grips. Oxford seems to be a well known brand and I have read reviews here and elsewhere about them. Couple of things:

* if I get them I will set them up with a relay and no connect them directly to the battery --> hopefully minimise probs with drained batteries etc.

* based on feedback elsewhere the Downtown battery potentially is a weak point and may need to be upgraded before hooking up the grips to ensure stability/performance

* if I go with the Oxford ones, which model to buy? There looks to be ones for scooters 50-250cc, ones for sports bikes, etc.

* have any of you any experience with any of the other established heated grips brands, like Hot Grips?

* I have not real experience hooking up electricals, but I can follow instructions and have a bit of common sense. Is this the sort of job I should attempt or leave to the professionals?

* if I can only get one - either hand guards or heated grips - which one would you recommend?

Thanks for any wisdom shared.

Ride safe.

I've had all brands that could be bought in Europe so far.

Most grips last one, at best two seasons, usually the wire gets broken in the point where it is entering the grip itself.

Right now I use Oxford grips (the ones that are tied using velcro and can be removed). A friend of mine uses them also.
Despite the hype these grips are absolute crap when it comes to the quality. The wire also gets easily broken and it is very difficult to solder back. Sometimes impossible, my friend had to discard them...

I've had mine soldered twice so far, and this is their third season. I have a spare set waiting in the drawer.

Whichever you buy, buy a spare set. Of course, right one dies usually the first because it is being twisted. Left ones last forever.

Sometimes, the heat conductive wire inside will burn out... Had that happen to me too. When I removed the grip, I cut it in half with the knife and found out that a piece of the wire was carbonized/burnt.

Btw. no relay is necessary, no battery upgrade is necessary. Also there are two diameters of handlebars, 22 or 25.4 mm. Usually scoots have 25.4, Harleys for example have 22. Be careful to buy ones with the right diameter. Also, right grip has smaller diameter than the left one. So, this heated handgrip is a science in itself...

As for the installation, with scooters that have water cooled engine, it is a mess because you have to tear apart front end where the radiator is and Tupperware of the floor board... I hate working on scoots because of this... with air cooled scoots it is much easier because front Tupperware is easier to tear apart...

Additional problem is where to install the ON/OFF switch. On scooters there is no place, because they are made to be installed (grips) on motorcycles, not scoots, that do not have free space on handlebars. On Agility I had to made a custom base to be bolted to plastic part of the fairing. On Beverly I placed it in the glove compartment in the front and also made a custom base. On People I have placed it using again custom made ring around right rear view mirror base.

So, while it seems simple, it is quite a nice little project to fit heated grips on scooters...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 05:11:31 PM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 07:38:06 PM »
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 09:59:23 AM »

1. While I am all for things being practical and useful over aesthetically pleasant, this is hideous.
2. I use the scoot around the city, these would get stolen in a matter of hours, not days. Not because someone needs them, but just to steal them.
3. Removing this every time and putting back on is not an option.

However, I see those things as useful if you are for example travelling to work 30 kms every day in each direction, from your garage, to, for example, guarded parking of the company.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 10:04:41 AM »
They're bolted on, not that easy to steal.

(The bar-end weights bolt..)
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 11:58:34 PM »
Additional problem is where to install the ON/OFF switch. On scooters there is no place, because they are made to be installed (grips) on motorcycles, not scoots, that do not have free space on handlebars. On Agility I had to made a custom base to be bolted to plastic part of the fairing. On Beverly I placed it in the glove compartment in the front and also made a custom base. On People I have placed it using again custom made ring around right rear view mirror base.

For the Downtown 300i, I simply used the supplied 3M tape to stick the controller on the big meaty handlebar surrounds. The Koso controller that I used was a simple cube with a button and a wire running off of it. All I needed was a flat surface. Cheers. :)
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 08:40:17 AM »
For the Downtown 300i, I simply used the supplied 3M tape to stick the controller on the big meaty handlebar surrounds. The Koso controller that I used was a simple cube with a button and a wire running off of it. All I needed was a flat surface. Cheers. :)

I am sure it works for you but I cannot imagine a piece of adhesive tame holding the switch to the handlebar and especially on my scoots that are outside 365/24. Also, on most scoots there is no enough flat surface around handlebars where you could put it. Furthermore, it is usually 4 wires going in/out of the switch, so it has to be somewhere close to the hole where the wires can enter under the Tupperware.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 01:32:10 PM »
I do not doubt that your advice and extensive experience applies to most smaller scooters. I value your insight across the different brands of grips.

However, I am addressing the installation specifically for the Downtown 300i in the Downtown 300i sub-forum. I originally searched for installation hints for the Downtown prior to installing, but only found a depressing account that it could not be done because another user was unable to install the heated throttle grip. I want to encourage other Downtown riders to install heated grips if they come to this thread as I have looking for advice.

Thus, I am reporting as a Downtown rider that it can be done, and the mounting is simple. On these bikes, there is a convenient flat surface on the handlebar surrounds next to the turn signal and horn controls. The heating cable comes out alongside the factory wiring for switch gear. It was a very neat install.

Perhaps maxi-scooter bodies like the Downtown are more amenable to heated grips than conventional upright scooters as they have more flat surfaces to attach accessories on. My other maxi friends with Xciting and T-MAX have installed heated grips before I did. Worst case, a drill bit and rubber grommet will open up a more convenient wire routing hole in the plastics.

Anyways, my significant other was thrilled about keeping her hands toasty during her commute. She didn't complain one bit about the mounting or its visual appeal, so it works well for us. I hope it works well for others.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 01:39:09 PM »
I eliminated the need (maybe by 60-70%) for heated grips by getting the Biondi windscreen which
deflects wind around hands.

Now I can ride in summer gloves around town even at freezing temperatures for a short period of
time.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 01:25:40 PM »
I have used Oxford Hot Grips for more than one year on my Grand Dink 125. Now I think it is essential on a bike if you rode all year. Sometimes I used it in May yet on colder mornings... If I got my next bike, the first investment will be a heated grips.

I have a barely used (200km)14gr Dr Pulley rollers to SELL!! Send a PM if you interested in...

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 02:08:17 PM »
The BMW's with heated grips run the wires down the inside of the bars so they only
turn 90 degrees. When you run them on the outside you need to make a large loop
to keep them from breaking and it is a bit unsightly.

Most have a way to switch heat levels, they either switch from parallel to series or
switch a resistor inline. You can buy (expensive $89!) variable controllers which will
allow you to set a perfect heat and also save energy as they switch the grips on and
off to control the heat.

You can make one of these with an 8 amp light controller used for computer lighting. I have
found these on ebay for $8 - $10.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pcs-lot-LED-PWM-Dimmer-12-24-volt-dc-8-AMP-for-lighting-bars-strings-modules-/121051186779?pt=US_Stage_Lighting_Controllers_Dimmers&hash=item1c2f36865b

Take them out of the box, remove the connectors and hard wire them, then spray the board with
clear plastic to keep moisture out. They work great for heated grips and heated seats!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 02:12:46 PM by MotoRandy123 »
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()