Author Topic: 2010 500ri quit on me while stopped and idling  (Read 3377 times)

gunsntexas

• View Profile
2010 500ri quit on me while stopped and idling
« on: April 13, 2012, 05:21:24 PM »
Hi all. I read a couple of the posts below about not starting right and sissy mary's posts also. My 500 however is EFI so I have more questions. Background: running fine all over town. It warmed up to almost 90 and I was in a dead crawl of traffic. Then it quit. The only way to keep it running was to keep some throttle on it while squeezing the brake while stopped.

(other thing... I dropped it on an incline earlier I am ashamed to say. I moved from a smaller scoot to a big and tall scoot and didn't take the weight and turning at low speeds into consideration and was paying more attention to what my wife was doing than what I was. That was much earlier in the day)

After a lot of reads and looking at the owners manual I see in plain English... 91 octane or better. Yeah... I have 89 sitting in it right now. With that being said does anyone have any recommendations? Should I mix 93 and a booster in it? I see mention of additives such as sea foam or StarTron (sp)?

Oh, and anyone know where I can get some white touch up paint for the 2010 xciting  :-[

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

desliderman

• View Profile
Re: 2010 500ri quit on me while stopped and idling
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 06:46:52 PM »
My 2012 RI w/abs has had a tendency to die at idle.  It usually happens around 15-1800 rpms.

It seems to happen more when the outside temps are over 60F.

I had it by the shop.  Of course it only did it one time there and they weren't around.  The mechanic seems to think it has something do do with the fuel injection.  He mentioned that this system is a pulse-injected system?  I don't know what that has to do with it but he found that an important piece of a puzzle not figured out yet.

No codes in the system and if I keep the rpms over 2k it never does die.

Don in KC.

gunsntexas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 06:58:08 PM »
Don,

Thanks for the response. I might add mine is also "new" having been on the showroom floor for a couple of years with no takers, so when I bought it, they performed the initial service. So it had zero miles on it. Something else for me to google now. pulse-injected.... 

Bruce

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 07:13:58 PM »
The manual says 91 Pon...  It's fine with what in the US is listed as 89 Mon...

If it won't idle when warmed up - then you want to raise the idle rather than trying to keep the revs up.

Touch up paint is available at the dealer - where are you?  In Austin it's TJ cycles - and the shop gets 2 thumbs up from me.  Or you can get it matched at your local  O'Reily's auto parts store.  Buying it online is a crapshoot as to whether it will match.

Note:  Your brake fluid, transmission fluid, tires and such are all 2 years old - they age whether the scoot is ridden or not.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

gunsntexas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 07:27:38 PM »
Is raising the idle something I can do or is that a shop thing... i.e. turn a screw vs some kind of electronic programming... Thanks for the information

sjb9989

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 01:58:24 PM »
Good morning G.N.T.,

I have a 2009 500ri, mine stalled out in rushhour traffic, last year. SCARED the SH*t out of me. I t would not restart...but after about 4-5 tries it run rough...revved the throttle and was able to make it home 5 miles away. Called dealer said possible bad fuel? I added FUEL STA-BIL. let it sit for a day or two. Restarted all seemed fine.
Iwas using 91 Octane, but switched to 89, still use STA-BiL in tank.

Enjoy the X500, I sure do.   ;D
Never look back, because someone my pass you.
          Proud owner 2009 Xciting 500r

gunsntexas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 06:50:37 PM »
Bought some STA-NIL at WallyWorld this morning. Will see how it goes. Also going to check fr the little vent and try the pop the cap if it happens again. Thanks all.

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 02:00:41 PM »
gunsntexas..  I only put premium (91) octane in my scoot.  Granted, premium around here has 10 - 15% ethanol in it, but I never put regular in the scoot.

When it started acting up I also added startron gas treatement, thinking that maybe I had gotten some bad gas.  I ride the scoot enough so I've probably been through a few tanks of gas.  The problem is still there.

I really think it's an ambient temperature thing.  The dealer said they could bump up the idle to around 2k (since the problem seems to be between 15 and 1800 rpms).  I'm not sure if that's just not fixing a symptom and not the problem.  I'm also not sure how much you can adjust the idle with the fuel injected models.

It's really just a nuisance at this point as the scoot fires right back up when it dies.  I am troubled that it seems to be a somewhat common problem among the Xcitings and over a number of model years.  I would think KYMCO would have a fix by now.

Scoot safely,

Don in KC.

gunsntexas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 03:11:50 PM »
Uggh, that is not good news, I truly hope mine is low octane with moisture or something... Well I hope this "fixes" it as in San Antonio the air temp around here is just going to be in the high 90's - 100's as summer approaches with high humidity.

hgw75

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 03:33:45 PM »
The manual says 91 Pon...  It's fine with what in the US is listed as 89 Mon...

If it won't idle when warmed up - then you want to raise the idle rather than trying to keep the revs up.

Touch up paint is available at the dealer - where are you?  In Austin it's TJ cycles - and the shop gets 2 thumbs up from me.  Or you can get it matched at your local  O'Reily's auto parts store.  Buying it online is a crapshoot as to whether it will match.

Note:  Your brake fluid, transmission fluid, tires and such are all 2 years old - they age whether the scoot is ridden or not.

TJs    is #1 :)

Vanceman201

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 01:48:02 AM »
Howdy...GunsnTexas...
i have a 2007 X500 carb.  It has only about 1200 miles on it to this point.  About a month ago I experienced two
cases where it died on me at idle.  Had not happened to this point.
During 600 miles service my mechanic said the problem was that the idle was too low.
He reset it to 2K and it has not died since.  I can't tell any real difference in the increase to 2K except that
it stays lit.
BTW....stress not about the drop.  I let mine lean over as it was parked on gravel.  A few scratches to
the beautiful blue color.  Got a pint of paint matched at CAR QUEST...and one of those kits where you can
add your own paint and turn the jar into a paint can....(sorry...forgot the name of it).  Anyway...worked out
pretty well.  Isn't professional perfect...but from more than three feet away anyone who noticed it might
think it was a slight shadow anyway.
"Don't believe any of what you hear and half of what you see."

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 04:28:09 AM »
Pulse injection means the injector is constantly pressurized. The pulse is what allows the fuel to flow out. That being what it is... I am thinking the charging system is not delivering enough clean voltage at low rpm's to fire the injector, and maintain the fuel controller. You can easily find out by attaching a volt meter to the wire harness at any point except the battery. Do your normal riding(lights/blinkers/brakes) and watch to see if you EVER drop below 11 volts. If you do then raise the idle. If not there is another issue. (bad gas)?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

gunsntexas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 03:27:51 PM »
So I fueled up yesterday and put some Shell V-Power 93 in the tank. Added some stabil. Used some close-enough dupli-color on the injuries. (maybe one day when I know I can turn it better at slow speeds I will replace some panels...going up to the school parking lot to practice like I did on my Buddy 170 to get more proficient) So we will see how it runs. The voltmeter is an interesting idea also. If it does it again I will look at that as well. Thanks all.

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 10:37:41 PM »
It's funny how this became such a problem with the hot temperatures
we've had this year.  Fuel Injected or Not,  500 or 250,  the issue is
quite common especially after the engine gets good and warm.  I
too agree that increasing the idle speed sounds like a good idea.
I previously had stalling on my GV and raising the idle cured that.

I always use the same gas from the same station and ride both bikes
equally.   Both are pushing the same amount of miles.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 03:04:03 AM »
Well if you all want to try to figure warm weather, and fuel...
Cold months make the fuel more dense, and warmer weather less dense... Same with the intake air...There is more air than fuel in the mix so I would think maybe too rich a charge being harder to ignite at idle????
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()