Author Topic: Performance Air Filter?  (Read 11879 times)

OregonDad

• View Profile
Performance Air Filter?
« on: April 13, 2012, 07:12:32 PM »
Scrolling through parts on eBay when I came across this Performance Air Filter http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance-Air-Filter-for-50-to-80cc-to-100cc-Scooters-Cold-Air-Intake-GY6-/230740248628?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item35b930c834

Would this work for the Agility 50? 

Would the cover protect the air filter in light rain? 

Does it install with the cover slots up or down? 

What size jet would I need to use with this Performance Air Filter?

Finally, how much more power for climbing hills would we get with the new filter and jet?

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: Performance Air Filter?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 07:26:13 PM »
There are better protected filter out there than that one in your link. I got one 2-3wks ago and tried it but am still messing about with jetting to get it correct, tried at least 5-6 jets so far but just had to order another 2 today as its still not right yet, im back on my stock airbox for now till i get it correct. Its a lot of trial and error to get it right, some only need a #88 or #90 jet but that was way too lean for mine and it wouldnt even run over 10-15mph! A #110 is too lean and a #120 is too rich so at least ive narrowed it down, reckon i need a 112 or 124. Just takes time, patience, lots of jets and jet swapping and some spare new plugs to do test runs on and see its not too lean or rich.

If you didnt read it before then maybe skim thro my thread on what ive been thro so far, http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=6039.0
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 04:11:34 AM »
That is not a big power gain in itself. You only really gain by using a pipe/filter combo. Jetting is MANDATORY with these filters. And.... NO WET WEATHER. Even water on the road clogs/floods them right out. You are better off with cvt tuning. A "race" variator/contra spring are the biggest gains on a 4t. Cheap BBK's also work very well if you know how to "clean them up" for install. 70 bucks gets you 50mm jug/head/rollers/oil pump/gaskets. 2 hours later, and you have torque.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 08:59:02 AM »
Out country is visited by more than 20 typhoons a year. That's the reason why I don't modify my filter and/or pipes. I am just considering a cvt tuning in the near future.  Or just get/build another scoot for speed runs!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 08:40:54 PM »
...it's real hard to increase performance much by installing a filter, you gotta get main and pilot jetting spot-on...

..also, to fully benefit, you need to raise your carb's needle slightly, which requires some serious manual modifications to the retaining clip...

..also, installing a filter greatly increase the engines sound...really loud!!...which may not be something you want....lol..

..open the airbox, remove filter element, and fire it up..thatll give you an idea of the sound...(your son will like it!)

..dont run it like that tho!..just rev it a lil, then shut it off!!..lol..

..cvt tuning is painstaking, but well worth the effort...

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

baddi

• Top speed: 38 km/h and fuel economy: 50 km/l
    • View Profile
    • My project fuel injection gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 09:53:31 PM »
CVT tuning is easy:

- Buy malossi multivar.
 - Buy 6,5g rollers (or 6g dr. pulley)
 - Dont install the white contra-spring which came with the multivar (just tested the strength yesterday, and it is 30 kg, just as the standart). If anything, install a weaker spring, as the standart spring is for the LBD8 motor (original taiwanese 80 ccm), while our agilitys have the LBD6 motor (50 ccm for export to western countries).
 - (some say) Buy slightly longer belt.

You could also buy another clutch bell to get other properties, and for the best burning of the fuel (little more power is one of the many benefits) i would recommend buying a CR7HIX iridium spark plug, and a high tension ignition coil with 31000 volt instead of the standart 16000.
First Kymco agility 50 (2008) 11.000+ km (dead)
Second kymco agility 50 (2010) 20.000+ km. Project Fuel Injection. Stolen.
Kymco K-pipe 125 (2014) 7400 km.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 09:59:50 PM »
you know what makes a good air filter red neck style a pair of your old ladys nylons.just dont let her catch you.....................lol

baddi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 10:04:55 PM »
you know what makes a good air filter red neck style a pair of your old ladys nylons.just dont let her catch you.....................lol

Lol. Im sure, thats gonna filter out all of the bad particles ;)
But as long as it works, she's not gonna catch you ;)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 10:06:50 PM »
If anything, install a weaker spring

...dont mean to be a buzz-kill....however....

..the malossi blue 1500 contra was, hands-down...the BEST cvt mod i ever made to any of my scoots...

..other than the stage6 clutch...or maybe the multivar...or maybe the naraku vari...

...hmmm...yup...by far the best!!!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 10:08:20 PM »
Lol. Im sure, thats gonna filter out all of the bad particles

..lmao..yeah, blue issa renegade!!!

;D

baddi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 10:28:45 PM »
If anything, install a weaker spring

...dont mean to be a buzz-kill....however....

..the malossi blue 1500 contra was, hands-down...the BEST cvt mod i ever made to any of my scoots...

..other than the stage6 clutch...or maybe the multivar...or maybe the naraku vari...

...hmmm...yup...by far the best!!!

Look at the word contra. The contra spring is the biggest power stealer in the entire engine, and the only function it has is to keep the belt tight. You should put in the weakest spring, that will hold the belt tight at all rpm, and then adjust your roller weight after that. This will give you more kilowatt (or horse power, if you'd like to call it that) at the wheel, as less power goes to gearing up. With a lesser power loss, you will have better accelleration, and your scooter will have easier to fully gear out. :)

And whats up with all the dots? :S

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 10:37:53 PM »
..im a dot freak.............................................................

...and i really like the way the contra grips my belt tighter..

..it help keeps the engine/cvt in its powerband...no rpm loss during decelleration...powers out of corners much quicker...assists in climbing hills....and is a (IMO) must-have if you run a longer belt...

..i don't think i could ever go back to a oem, or lighter contra...

.don't think they even make one much lighter than oem...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 10:38:08 PM »
The spring debate has reached the Kymco forum... (dots are for you Baddi) Some prefer the weaker springs for the reasons Baddi states. The trade off is in quicker up gearing. You will come off the contra pulleys almost at take off, and loose some "quickness" and Most of your down shifting for hills. The advantage is belt life. Less stress = longer life. I would rather use a direct drive set up but alass.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 10:38:54 PM »

I totally agree, well its a close competition with that or fitting a race variator. I was dropping to 20mph on some hills even on 4,5g weightsbut with the 1500rpm i can run up the same hills at 30mph now, a huge improvement and it didnt even cost me any top end speed. I guess if you live in a real flat country then Baddi's theory is correct but for where i live i need to get up hills without cyclists and buses overtaking me, thats embarrassing.

5.5g and 1500rpm spring in good for me, prob the cvt best set up ive had, works well with a stock belt or a longer 736 belt.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 10:44:04 PM »
I think I need one of those springs.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()