Author Topic: Performance Air Filter?  (Read 11872 times)

OregonDad

• View Profile
Re: Performance Air Filter?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 01:18:21 AM »
If anything, install a weaker spring

...dont mean to be a buzz-kill....however....

..the malossi blue 1500 contra was, hands-down...the BEST cvt mod i ever made to any of my scoots...

Back on topic...

I can't find a blue malossi spring, only  RED =1500 YEL =1000 WHT=800 http://www.ebay.com/itm/MALOSSI-1000-1500-2000-RPM-TORQUE-SPRING-DRR-APEX-ETON-/310330320700?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item484120e73c&vxp=mtr

I agree that a weaker spring seems counter-intuitive.  The 5.5g + 1500rpm combo seems to work for most, except Exe who could not get over 25mph with it.  Are malossi springs stiffer than generic springs like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance-torque-spring-139QMB-scooter-Roketa-DIO-/270559695383?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item3efe9d5217&vxp=mtr ?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 02:07:18 AM »
...well, that "looks" like a malossi mhr red 2000...

..but it has 6 coils, ...mhr has 5 coils...

...i dunno....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 04:13:50 AM »
The trouble with cheap springs is they are not true spring steel. They will soften the first time you ride from the heat in the clutch. So for comparative spring weight? It don't matter. OEM takes 65ish lbs to collapse. Add 10 more for each step stiffer. A NEW Malossi red takes about 85 lbs to collapse. You can test them on a bathroom scale by pushing till the coils just touch.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 07:15:09 AM »
all you got to do is put in 6.5g rollers and a standard spring 

Like i said Baddi, doesnt work well at all round here. I tried most roller weights between 4.5g-7.5g on most springs, inc stock, and this is by far the best running set up i have found, by far. 6.5g rollers on a stock spring simply will not pull me out of bed making Hills are a nightmare so its best to avoid them. No, sorry,but for me it will not work well at all. I have tried, didnt like it one bit.

Btw i run 5.5g so am only 1g under stock, i said i had tried 4.5g but i dont use them now.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

baddi

• Top speed: 38 km/h and fuel economy: 50 km/l
    • View Profile
    • My project fuel injection gallery
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2012, 08:55:37 AM »
...baddi oughtta be posting us pics of th red-light district!!!

You are thinking about the Nederlands (Holland), which is not the same as Denmark. :)

Back on topic...

I can't find a blue malossi spring, only  RED =1500 YEL =1000 WHT=800 [...]

That means that the standart are 800rpm and that 800 rpm equals 30 kg (3,05.. Newton), thanks. :)

[...]
Btw i run 5.5g so am only 1g under stock, i said i had tried 4.5g but i dont use them now.

I thought the standart "limited" roller weight was 7g, so it would keep the rpm at what the standart CDI is limited to, but that 6,5 was what was best, when the rpm limiter in the CDI was removed. :) .... I'll have to test that soon then :p
First Kymco agility 50 (2008) 11.000+ km (dead)
Second kymco agility 50 (2010) 20.000+ km. Project Fuel Injection. Stolen.
Kymco K-pipe 125 (2014) 7400 km.

OregonDad

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2012, 08:59:19 AM »
Do I also need a TORSION CONTROLLER ring http://www.malossiusaonline.com/Torsion_Controller_p/2512828.htm along with the new spring?

While searching for Malossi springs I see a lot of "fits Kymco People 50" but no listings for the Agility 50.  Do they take the same size clutch and contra springs?

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2012, 09:36:15 AM »
I thought the standart "limited" roller weight was 7g, so it would keep the rpm at what the standart CDI is limited to, but that 6,5 was what was best, when the rpm limiter in the CDI was removed. Smiley .... I'll have to test that soon then :p

Stock weight is def 6.5g rollers, i emailed Kymco UK not long after i got my A50 as there seemed some confusion at the time exactly what the stock weight was. O had assumed going with a stiffer torque/contra spring wojld let me go up in weight from stock but i guess that only works on 2-strokes with more torque than our sleepy 4t's. The stiffer spring and lighter rollers gives me good acceleration, well good compared to stock at least lol  :D

Like has been said many times before on many other topics, what works for one may not work for someone else, so each to his own. Thats one of the good things about our little scoots, you can tune it pretty quickly and cheaply to the style that suits your own terrain and conditions etc.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

baddi

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2012, 09:53:37 AM »
Stock weight is def 6.5g rollers, i emailed Kymco UK not long after i got my A50 as there seemed some confusion at the time exactly what the stock weight was. O had assumed going with a stiffer torque/contra spring wojld let me go up in weight from stock but i guess that only works on 2-strokes with more torque than our sleepy 4t's. The stiffer spring and lighter rollers gives me good acceleration, well good compared to stock at least lol  :D

Like has been said many times before on many other topics, what works for one may not work for someone else, so each to his own. Thats one of the good things about our little scoots, you can tune it pretty quickly and cheaply to the style that suits your own terrain and conditions etc.

I think you're underestimating the Agility, as this is one of the most energyefficient 4-strokes (which makes it the most powerful) 50cc that is made, so it can compete with many 2-strokes, and have the same or more KW and Torque than the cheap or medium-prized 2-strokes. :D Especially if a 14 year old kid have tried to "tune" the 2-stoke engine (inexpierienced hands will often ruin it all). ;)

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2012, 10:26:05 AM »
Oregondad, try this link. http://www.provoscooter.com/malossi-torque-driver-spring-racing-blue-106.html Im not sure thiscwill fit an A50 but mayne give them a call or email and ask?

Im not really complaining Baddi, just grumbling a little bit  :D

Overall im well happy with my A50, i only paid £380 for it (2008 model with 8,500km on it when i got it) and parts are cheap too so to me its just a fun bit of transport to get to work on or mess around locally on. I used to cycle the 9.5miles to work but im afraid my cycle is now covered in dust in my garage.

My only small moan would be with going uphills on a stock 4t, thats why i tuned my cvt as best i could to cope with my commute each day. I reckon a A50 with the 72cc kit would be perfect really with the extra torque for the hills. I dont really want to go over 50mph on it anyway.

I imagine one day i will get round to fitting the 72cc kit but i have too many other distractions at the moment so have no time or money for that right now.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:31:24 AM by streido »
Chaos is my co-pilot.

OregonDad

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2012, 07:29:41 PM »
Oregondad, try this link. http://www.provoscooter.com/malossi-torque-driver-spring-racing-blue-106.html Im not sure thiscwill fit an A50 but mayne give them a call or email and ask?

This is 106% stiffer than your stock spring.  Wow that sounds like a 2000rpm spring.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2012, 08:07:30 PM »
...oem is about 700...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

baddi

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2012, 10:00:58 PM »
This is 106% stiffer than your stock spring.  Wow that sounds like a 2000rpm spring.

Not neccercarily 106%, as the agility spring for example already are 20 % stronger than the peaugeot speedflight spring (which by the way fits right over) (and yeah, i know the sf is a 2-stroke). :) This is why this measurement cant be used, as not all stock springs are the same strength on all scooters. :D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2012, 11:31:19 PM »
Do I also need a TORSION CONTROLLER ring http://www.malossiusaonline.com/Torsion_Controller_p/2512828.htm along with the new spring?

While searching for Malossi springs I see a lot of "fits Kymco People 50" but no listings for the Agility 50.  Do they take the same size clutch and contra springs?
They are different. The part numbers do not match.
http://www.partsforscooters.com/Welcome?search=gy6+spring
That is a decent spring. I have the 1500 in my gy6. IF you use a torsion controller go with the 1000 spring because it does Pre load the spring a bit. The controller is mandatory on a power house, but not so much needed on a 50cc 4t. The OEM coil guard does the same job anyway.
I can get you the Malossi but it wouldn't really save you anything. Just a dollar, and shipping is 2 weeks. The link is for Hoca springs which I have 3 of, and they work fine.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

OregonDad

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2012, 11:44:23 PM »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2012, 12:12:57 AM »
Yes sir!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()