Author Topic: 41.4 mpg?  (Read 7134 times)

baddi

• Top speed: 38 km/h and fuel economy: 50 km/l
    • View Profile
    • My project fuel injection gallery
Re: 41.4 mpg?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 10:09:15 AM »
Is he holding the throttle fully open if so he is just fighting the restrictor in the variator, my scoot is still fully restricted and unless im going up hill i never need the throttle open more than halfway and im 80kg and im getting over 100mpg also have you checked his tire pressure under inflation can effect mpg heavily i like my tires pumped up hard to make them nice and round 35psi front 40psi rear. Another thing to check is that the choke is not stuck on and the airfilter is not clogged....

If the air filter is clogged, a Phillips vaacum cleaner will do the job ;)
First Kymco agility 50 (2008) 11.000+ km (dead)
Second kymco agility 50 (2010) 20.000+ km. Project Fuel Injection. Stolen.
Kymco K-pipe 125 (2014) 7400 km.

Encya

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 04:28:44 PM »
OD part of your problem is the ethanol.  I wouldn't run that in anything, power and mpg will suffer and it will kill your engine over time.  I use only Shell V-Power 93 octane.  Also put a few ounces of Seafoam in the tank to clean the fuel system and carb.

I've checked my mpg twice in the last year.  The first time I got 99 mpg, and the second I got 140 mpg.  Th 140 mpg was after switching to Royal Purple, installing a new plug and being a little more gentle on the throttle.

OregonDad

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 07:21:09 PM »
We only use 92 octane non-ethanol gas.  My kid says he does not go WOT because 3/4 and full open give the same speed.  I think the air filter is original with 6193km on it.  If I use a sheet of filter foam in the air box instead of the replacement plastic/paper filter, will I need to increase the jet higher than 82?

baddi

• Top speed: 38 km/h and fuel economy: 50 km/l
    • View Profile
    • My project fuel injection gallery
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 10:56:54 PM »
We only use 92 octane non-ethanol gas.  My kid says he does not go WOT because 3/4 and full open give the same speed.  I think the air filter is original with 6193km on it.  If I use a sheet of filter foam in the air box instead of the replacement plastic/paper filter, will I need to increase the jet higher than 82?

Even though ethanol burns with less power than gasoline, it is added to almost all fuel from gas stations (at least in Denmark), which is also why you dont need carburator liquid to prevent ice in the carburator. :) In Denmark, they put 5% ethanol in all fuel :p
First Kymco agility 50 (2008) 11.000+ km (dead)
Second kymco agility 50 (2010) 20.000+ km. Project Fuel Injection. Stolen.
Kymco K-pipe 125 (2014) 7400 km.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 11:08:43 PM »
Dad... Do you mean foam like in Air Conditioner foam? If so dont do it. It will stop birds, and crickets but it will allow all types of debris thru. You will wind up slowly sand blasting your cylinder. Try partsforscooters.com.
After you get the filter sorted out add sea foam for 2 tanks of fuel to wash out the ring grooves, and valve stems.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

OregonDad

• View Profile

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 01:27:28 AM »
Unknown to me. I wouldn't use it cause it looks like ac foam. If you have any extra try shaking some sand thru it. If fine sand gets thru...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

OregonDad

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 03:42:45 AM »
Ok so this http://www.partsforscooters.com/Foam_airfilter_qmb139?sc=9&category=127915 is no good?

It is so damn hard to find the correct parts.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 03:50:16 AM »
That is the same as in the gy6 OEM air boxes. It is thicker, and a different compound. If you pour acetone (nail polish remover) on either one it should stay the same size. If it swells it is just styrene foam, and will fall apart from the heat, and suck into the engine. I would much prefer the second one you found simply because it is thicker, and has a better chance of holding debris.
Test a corner with acetone to be sure it is not a cheap copy.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 06:22:49 PM »
Just to throw my comment in..........

I fill up my tank usually once a week and that gets me to and from work all week, 20 mile round trip/day. By the end kf the week i have an emlty tank, sometimes i even need to fill up on a Thursday.

So at best i get about 100miles per tank.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
...i fill up pretty much every day...35 mile round trip for work, plus any other riding i do after....

..it's @ gallon a day easy...

..that's on my 50cc s9....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 09:58:28 PM »
Just to say i do know how to spell EMPTY properly btw, this phone keyboard is just too small.

Or my thumbs are too fat.  :-\

Yeah, once summer comes in here i expect to do a lot more riding in my freetime.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 03:11:46 AM »
The UK has to suck for scoots. Must be like Seattle here. Avg 200 day of overcast or rain per year. We get about 60 in the Fl Panhandle

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 04:34:58 AM »
The UK has to suck for scoots. Must be like Seattle here.

What's wrong with Seattle?  Born and raised there...can't wait to get back, only 2-3 more weeks!  ;D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 04:40:40 AM »
Once you get back it'll be just fine... It's a great spot for Hippies too. They Never have to bathe.
Naw... My Dad lives there. He's an ass.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()