Author Topic: Who cut my cdi?  (Read 7745 times)

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
Re: Who cut my cdi?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 10:44:15 AM »
This guy is on Oxy's or Something but it covers the basics

hmm yokel mechanics. i like the way he was expecting there to be grass inside his carb bowl!?!? how the f*ck would grass get in there in the first place?? still showed me the basic anatomy of a carb.
Courage is measured in how much tyre you use.

2010 Kymco Agility 72..Naraku 72cc race cylinder...Naraku 50cc race head
Naraku Race CDi...Polini free flow filter...Motoforce Racing Carb
NGK Irirdium plug...Naraku Race Variator...Malossi fly clutch
Stage 6 cnc clutch bell...1500 Rpm torque sprin

Matty

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 12:48:29 PM »
Thanks zombie
I've had that carb apart more times than I care to mention - it's clean as a whistle in there.

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 01:23:54 PM »
You could tell that's not a burn on that cdi.......
Just trying to cover it up.. Must b worried about getting wet..

One of the post seems like it's time for some cvt work. ;)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

baddi

• Top speed: 38 km/h and fuel economy: 50 km/l
    • View Profile
    • My project fuel injection gallery
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 05:16:44 PM »
thanks guys. blue it works fine, i'm just trying to work out if it has been cut or not - can anyone answer for sure?

I still have very average performance on my scoot so I'm just trying to identify the cause. But from what wordslinger has said (thanks wordslinger), it's unlikely to be my cdi that is the problem.

Back to randomly replacing everything I guess....

When i've experienced lack of power it was because of one of 2 things:
 - Improper ignition, caused by carb adjustment (adjust it once, and it will not be necercary to readjust very often, as only air temperature and preassure is varables of the air's amount of O2) or caused by improper spark, which is more likely to fail at some point. :)
 - Wrong roller weight or wear, as wear on the rollers will give more area of touching the varator (i'll skip the physics today), which will do the same as having a too heavy roller weight. :)

I just changed my rollers yesterday, as i was experiencing the last one, and i say that fresh rollers makes a diffrence. You can use Dr. Pulley rollers to reduce this factor, as these will not change their area of touch when they wear. :D
If the spark may be the problem, i will propose that you change into a higher voltage ignition coil (like Naraku High Tension) and an iridium spark plug (like NRK CR7HIX) as these two will give much greater spark. :D If the spark is troubling it could also be caused by a flat or collapsed battery, as we use a DC CDI. :)

I have never tested my own compression, so unfortunately i cant say if this can be the problem. :)
First Kymco agility 50 (2008) 11.000+ km (dead)
Second kymco agility 50 (2010) 20.000+ km. Project Fuel Injection. Stolen.
Kymco K-pipe 125 (2014) 7400 km.

Matty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
thanks baddi
I was trying to flush out the problem this weekend so put in brand new rollers (6g) and brand new good quality belt.
No improvement. In fact I guess stock must be 6.5g as I'm now revving higher earlier with no additional acceleration/power.

carb adjustment...i have an #82 jet, but must admit have never adjusted the float height. Didn't really understand the physics behind it but maybe should check.

Battery is new and fully charged, and spark plug is new, plus  I replaced the ht lead less than 6 months ago so I don't think ignition is the problem.

That said every time I change the spark plug it is black black black, covered in carbon which is interesting. I change it nearly once every 2 months!

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 06:28:07 PM by Matty »

baddi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 09:36:58 PM »
thanks baddi
I was trying to flush out the problem this weekend so put in brand new rollers (6g) and brand new good quality belt.
No improvement. In fact I guess stock must be 6.5g as I'm not revving higher earlier with no additional acceleration/power.

carb adjustment...i have an #82 jet, but must admit have never adjusted the float height. Didn't really understand the physics behind it but maybe should check.

Battery is new and fully charged, and spark plug is new, plus  I replaced the ht lead less than 6 months ago so I don't think ignition is the problem.

That said every time I change the spark plug it is black black black, covered in carbon which is interesting. I change it nearly once every 2 months!

Now i don't want to get into an argument on stock parts, their funtions and the importance of their forces, with the guys from other countries again, so ill stick to what i've measured myself.
I've been told many times by other danes, that the roller weight is 7g here in Denmark, to be able to gear out at the rpm which the CDI are restricted to, so here a couple of days i measured some rollers. Unfortunately i haven't got any new stock rollers, so i measured some old worn down ones, where the weight said that 3 rollers weighed 19g (on a kichen scale, only shows whole grams), which suggest that the rollers are 6,5 or 7g as stock. :)
I've had most luck with 6g and 6,5g rollers where the 6,5g was achieved by mixing 7 and 6g rollers. This is approximately the same as having 6 6,5g rollers, but have one disadvantage: The heavier rollers will push at a higher force, being worn down easylier, as seen on the picture below, where the stock rollers in the bottom have driven 3000 km, where 1500 where mixed rollers, and the malossi roller on top have driven 4000, where 1500 where mixed rollers.

About the spark plug being black all the time, i have the same problem, but streido came with a possible solution:

As a general rule its a 80 jet stock, 82 jet deslrestricted, and 88 for an open air filter but im sure you prob know that most scoots vary slightly?

I dont swap my jets for winter here in Scotland, maybe i should?. I just run the 82 all yr on mine?
Comes out ok on plug for me no leaness or richness, tho its always a little slower in the cold or wet, 3-5mph sometimes.

Had a similair issue a while back where i couldnt get the plug right, was way too rich then added more air in and got better but still had a sooty plug a bit. Found out eventually i had slighlty too much engine oil in cos i filled it on a slope, drained a little off and refitted the 82 jet put back on my stock air box and it was perfect again.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 09:42:51 PM »
You checked your air filter is clean?

Also according to Kymco UK tech Dept the stock weight from the factory is 6.5g, i emailed them just after i got my a50 as it was 2nd hand and needed a service but i didnt know the roller weight i needed to order and hadnt found this forum yet.

It may of course be different in other countries, this was only Kymco UK. I would imagine its the same tho worldwide.

And check inside the bottom of the air filter casing for a build up of oil like fluid, if its there and gotten onto the filter it will restrict airflow, if its bad enough.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

baddi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 09:45:36 PM »
You checked your air filter is clean?

Also according to Kymco UK tech Dept the stock weight from the factory is 6.5g, i emailed them just after i got my a50 as it was 2nd hand and needed a service but i didnt know the roller weight i needed to order and hadnt found this forum yet.

It may of course be different in other countries, this was only Kymco UK. I would imagine its the same tho worldwide.

And check inside the bottom of the air filter casing for a build up of oil like fluid, if its there and gotten onto the filter it will restrict airflow, if its bad enough.

Sounds about right, when my worn down rollers where 6,3g each :D. :)

Matty

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 06:33:07 PM »
Thanks streido/baddy.

have ordered some 6.6g roller (couldn't find 6.5) so will see how I do with that.
One typo in my last post - I'm NOW (not "not") revving higher earlier with no increase in acceleration.

Oil filter is clean. Oil level is correct (0.7l on refill)

Could worn clutch plates be doing this? It's only done 7000km.

I figure it's either worn clutch plates or poor compression. It seems to burn through oil quite quickly and I may have let it run dry as a consequence on one occasion....

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 07:48:17 PM »

I figure it's either worn clutch plates or poor compression. It seems to burn through oil quite quickly and I may have let it run dry as a consequence on one occasion....

yea always keep a check on the oil, the Ag's are known for using the oil up quickly. buti  have never found out why they do?? actually hold on..............now on google.............nope cant find anything, the only thing i got took me back to a post MrKymco made about oil.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 08:24:51 PM »
It sounds like a worn belt maybe? Is the belt slipping when pulling away from stopped? High revs and going nowhere fast?

If its the original belt still fitted it may be worn beyond its tollerance? Have a look and check its condition. Could be a worn clutch too tho like you said so check that when your in there.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 08:41:30 PM »
i do have a problem though, when i goto pull away the bike will go vrooooom but suddenly drop and bog down then take the piss by taking a age picking up speed hesitating all the way to 30.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 08:59:55 PM »
...what's your cvt setup, whiteknight?
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

baddi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 09:23:22 PM »
yea always keep a check on the oil, the Ag's are known for using the oil up quickly. buti  have never found out why they do?? actually hold on..............now on google.............nope cant find anything, the only thing i got took me back to a post MrKymco made about oil.

I think it might be because the tube from the valve cover leads it to the air filter, where it because of venturi effect is sucked up into the air flow to lubricate the engine from the ignition side of the piston. :D
But just a guess. ;)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 09:49:12 PM »
...the rubber "PCV" effect tube, attached to the valve cover does indeed go to the oem airbox...

..just opposite of where it enters, there is a clear tube, that routes beneath the aibox toward the rear..

..the venturi effect does "draw" oil vapor from the valve cover, and the vapor condenses in this space between the two tubes...

..that oil should be drained from the clear tubing periodically...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()