Author Topic: Seat Catch Failure  (Read 3257 times)

KScoot

• View Profile
Seat Catch Failure
« on: April 21, 2012, 05:09:05 PM »
Scooter is working fine BUT yesterday I turned the key to pop the seat lock to get at my helmet and nothing happened - no release of the latch. I saw a Utube video of a guy who showed you how to emove the taillight assembly (two screws) and access the latch and release it. Works on his scooter brand but not mine. Can NOT do that on the Agility 50 because only the front seat pops up. the rear seat is fixed and the taillight, once removed, does not give any access.

So problem # 1 is how to get the seat to release. I am contemplating 2 solutions. One is exposing the key cyclinder contacts and using a short piece of wire to short together any two of the contacts. This might work if the failure was in the key cyclinder. Two, I start removing bodywork by taking out the rear seat to see if I can slip a piece of flat metal into the latch and release it. Next choice is remove a lot of body parts.

Problem # 2 is figuring out if the real problem is with the latch, the key cyclinder or the connecting cable.  There has been no trouble or accidents with this scooter which is a 2009 model.

tha

juice

• View Profile
Re: Seat Catch Failure
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 05:25:38 PM »
Try pushing down on the seat while turning the key in the lock . Worth a shot . Good luck .

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 07:25:52 PM »
the latch you can get to by reaching under the plastic and pull on the cable. it should release.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 08:06:40 PM »
I had the seat on my people do the same thing. The 4 screws on the latch mechanism were loose. Fortunately I was able to get it open by just playing with it for a while. I'd recommend everybody check the 4 screws on the latch under the seat.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

baddi

• Top speed: 38 km/h and fuel economy: 50 km/l
    • View Profile
    • My project fuel injection gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 05:04:46 PM »
I once broke a key, and had to remove the seat before i could remove the lock.
I got the seat opened bu sticking my hand up under the shield until i could pull the cable. This released the seat, but also released some metal-thingy which held the lock and cable in place, so if you do this, remember to check that the metal thingy is at the proper place, as this made the lock unfunctional for opening the seat for me. :D
First Kymco agility 50 (2008) 11.000+ km (dead)
Second kymco agility 50 (2010) 20.000+ km. Project Fuel Injection. Stolen.
Kymco K-pipe 125 (2014) 7400 km.

KScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 05:17:09 PM »
Try pushing down on the seat while turning the key in the lock . Worth a shot . Good luck .
Thanks Juice. My wife had the same idea. So far it hasn't worked. Somewhere I may have a broken cable.

KScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 04:03:33 PM »
Reaching the cable under the plastic did release the seat latch. I tightened up the mounting screws for the seat latch mechanism and everything is working.
Thanks to everyone who responded. This is exactly what I hoped would happen when I joined the Forum.

baddi

• Top speed: 38 km/h and fuel economy: 50 km/l
    • View Profile
    • My project fuel injection gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 04:17:18 PM »
Reaching the cable under the plastic did release the seat latch. I tightened up the mounting screws for the seat latch mechanism and everything is working.
Thanks to everyone who responded. This is exactly what I hoped would happen when I joined the Forum.

Yeah, thats one of the good things on this forum, that we've all got expierience with the same bike. ;)
First Kymco agility 50 (2008) 11.000+ km (dead)
Second kymco agility 50 (2010) 20.000+ km. Project Fuel Injection. Stolen.
Kymco K-pipe 125 (2014) 7400 km.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()